MSS Q&A Thread

Posted by: jongoff - Mon Oct 23, 2006 6:59 pm
 [ 208 posts ] 
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 14  Next
MSS Q&A Thread 
Spaceflight Enthusiast
Spaceflight Enthusiast
Post Pics from X-Prize Cup   Posted on: Tue Nov 14, 2006 1:58 am
I had uploaded my pictures from the XPrize Cup to my web server just after getting back. At the suggestion of Sean Lynch, I made a separate write-up to go alongside it.

http://ian.kluft.com/articles/xprizecup2006/

But my day job, running some club elections and stuff like that got in the way. So 3 weeks after the event, the write-up page is finally done. Fortunately, it's getting some nice feedback for being a good presentation of what it was like to be there. So it still sounds like the effort was worth it

I hope everyone enjoys it!

Profile WWW
Spaceflight Participant
Spaceflight Participant
Post Throttling Update   Posted on: Fri Nov 17, 2006 2:37 am
Ok, it's been a few days and I'm sure everyone is curious what we've been up to lately. Yesterday we finally got everything working for our dynamic throttling system, and had a picture perfect throttling run. I wasn't there unfortunately (I was driving back from my wife's checkup in Bakersfield), but apparently it was smooth enough that the guys didn't think it was throttling at first until they saw the plume sudden shrink and a shock diamond disappear, and then lengthen and reappear, right according to the script we had fed it. I'm going to see if I can get Ian to download the video so I can put it up on the MSS blog. He says that the camera was having a hard time adjusting to the light correctly, so it wasn't the absolute highest quality, but I'm sure it'll be interesting.

Things have been running a bit more slowly than we had intended because of a weird igniter overheating issue that we ran into once in Las Cruces. We hadn't had any issues this bad before, so we're going back through carefully to figure out what changed, and make sure that we solve the problem before we go on. Igniter reliability is kind of important for a rocket engine. If we're lucky, we'll have that sorted out in the next day or two. After that, we're going to go back out and setup for a throttle response test, to get hard data on what kind of lags we still have so the ACS software can be updated to handle what our system can really do in practice.

We're hoping to go into next month with all the outstanding development issues sorted out. Once we have that all sorted out, and have qualified the system, we'll order in the rest of the new subcomponents (actuators and servocontrollers and such), spares, and some replacement parts, and start doing final integration on the vehicle. About the only thing left on the vehicle is the engine modules themselves, so depending on the funding situation, we should have the vehicle assembled and ready to fly pretty soon now.

The reality of being a New Space startup without a dot.com billionaire backing is that sometimes funding dictates schedules. We're in the process of raising enough money to get XA-0.1 all the rest of its way through its planned flight test routine (including ground take-offs and landings), to get it upgraded to the XA-0.2 configuration, and then to put that through its paces enough that its ready to compete next October. If we can get some sponsorship money going soon enough, we may even try getting XA-0.3 together for the Level Two prize for next October. But as I said, it all depends on how much sponsorship interest we get, and how soon.

We'll probably still try to at least get XA-0.2 done for the competition even if we don't get a lot of sponsorship interest, but more bucks means more Buck Rogers.

~Jon

Profile WWW
Rocket Constructor
Rocket Constructor
Post    Posted on: Tue Dec 12, 2006 9:52 pm
Hi! New here, and I have a question. I've looked at the design projections on the site, stating launches in 2008, and your immediate development plans for the XA 0.*, but I was wondering how soon do you see making launch plans with the actuall cansats? Is 2008 feasible?

Spaceflight Participant
Spaceflight Participant
Post    Posted on: Wed Dec 13, 2006 1:23 am
The_Snoo wrote:
Hi! New here, and I have a question. I've looked at the design projections on the site, stating launches in 2008, and your immediate development plans for the XA 0.*, but I was wondering how soon do you see making launch plans with the actuall cansats? Is 2008 feasible?

Well, all of those projections are dependent rather strongly on how well we can raise funding. At the moment, we've been forced to slow our development pace down a little bit until we can get enough money to start going full-speed again. That said, if we can get going again soon enough, we might still be flying by sometime in 2008, but it's possible that the initial Cansat date might slip a bit into 2009. On the other hand, if we had all the money we needed right now, there are ways we might be flying Cansats by as early as the end of next year. My personal best guess would be 2009 though.

~Jon

Profile WWW
Rocket Constructor
Rocket Constructor
Post    Posted on: Wed Dec 13, 2006 1:52 am
Then how long do you think it will take you from 2009, assuming your current state of funding, to move from the xtreme altitude rocket to some kind of orbit capable vehicle?

Spaceflight Participant
Spaceflight Participant
Post    Posted on: Sat Dec 16, 2006 8:35 pm
Snoo,
The_Snoo wrote:
Then how long do you think it will take you from 2009, assuming your current state of funding, to move from the xtreme altitude rocket to some kind of orbit capable vehicle?

Really way to early to say anything with any degree of confidence. Going orbital is probably going to cost a substantial chunk of change, possibly as much as Elon has spent on SpaceX so far.

The best I can say is that if we ever go orbital, it probably won't be before the decade is out.

~Jon

Profile WWW
Spaceflight Participant
Spaceflight Participant
Post    Posted on: Sun Jan 07, 2007 12:41 am
Can you give a rough estimate of the delta-v required for the XA-1.0 and the estimated percent of mass at landing set aside for landing propellant?

Thanks for the answer.

Space Station Member
Space Station Member
Post    Posted on: Sun Jan 07, 2007 2:04 pm
My experience of simulating a similar vehicle, is less than 5% of original fuel load.

Spaceflight Participant
Spaceflight Participant
Post    Posted on: Thu Jan 11, 2007 7:42 am
Soyuz,
Soyuz wrote:
Can you give a rough estimate of the delta-v required for the XA-1.0 and the estimated percent of mass at landing set aside for landing propellant?

You'd have to ask Dave that, and alas, that may be ITAR sensitive.

Sorry.

~Jon

Profile WWW
Spaceflight Participant
Spaceflight Participant
Post January 2007 Update   Posted on: Thu Jan 11, 2007 7:43 am
We have a new update out on our blog, with a video of some hold-down tests:

http://masten-space.com/blog/?p=93

Profile WWW
Moon Mission Member
Moon Mission Member
Post    Posted on: Thu Jan 11, 2007 2:43 pm
Cool video. I can't wait for the first flight test video!

Curious that your delta-v data may be ITAR sensitive. If it were, then it would seem to me that most of Armadillo's updates would be ITAR violations!

Profile WWW
Spaceflight Participant
Spaceflight Participant
Post    Posted on: Thu Jan 11, 2007 5:44 pm
campbelp2002 wrote:
Cool video. I can't wait for the first flight test video!

Curious that your delta-v data may be ITAR sensitive. If it were, then it would seem to me that most of Armadillo's updates would be ITAR violations!

Well, I'm not sure if they're ITAR sensitive or not. Unfortunately I'm also not sure what the current numbers are. We've been changing things a lot as we've been getting a better feel for how much things weigh, or how good of performance we can expect...Dave or Michael would have to fill you in on the latest if it actually is publically releasable info or not.

~Jon

Profile WWW
Rocket Constructor
Rocket Constructor
Post    Posted on: Thu Jan 18, 2007 3:23 am
I have a quick question, which might lead to another. What is the expected launch weight of the finished XA 1.0? And the 1.5 and 2.0 as well, if you have the numbers.

Spaceflight Participant
Spaceflight Participant
Post    Posted on: Thu Jan 18, 2007 10:17 pm
The_Snoo wrote:
I have a quick question, which might lead to another. What is the expected launch weight of the finished XA 1.0? And the 1.5 and 2.0 as well, if you have the numbers.

Well, the numbers change as time goes on. The original number, way back when we started, was somewhere between 9-10klb on takeoff...but it's changed since then. You'd have to ask Dave for the latest numbers (if he can give them), but they'll probably change again before the thing actually flies.

Basically, as we retire risks with the XA-0.x vehicles, we get a better feel for what things will weigh, and most of our estimates so far have been so ridiculously conservative that the end vehicle may be much lighter and smaller then the original design concept....

Sorry if that doesn't help much.

~Jon

Profile WWW
Rocket Constructor
Rocket Constructor
Post    Posted on: Fri Jan 19, 2007 12:52 am
It was about as accurate as I was expecting. It's hard to determine what something will weigh when you don't know precisely what materials you will use for what parts, and in fact, what parts will exist in the final product. So.

My second question involves assisted lift during launch. I am led to beleive that your intentions are to design a system that is completely independent of a specific launch location, but has any kind of initial lift assistance along the lines of vertical mag rails or steam catapults been considered for the XA?

Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 14  Next
Moderators: Ben, jongoff, mmealling, Ian Moore