Community > Forum > All other competitions > da Vinci

da Vinci

Posted by: Irving - Thu Sep 04, 2003 5:27 pm
 [ 35 posts ] 
da Vinci 
Moon Mission Member
Moon Mission Member
Location: Kapellen, Antwerp, Belgium, Europe, Planet Earth, the Milky Way Galaxy
Post    Posted on: Fri Apr 09, 2004 9:29 pm
Soyuz wrote:

I don't know, but I know that "manny" teams their website just suck.. not their development, but just their website.. so don't be suprised... even a lot of teams without any website or online news are getting very close to go up for an xprize attempt.

Btw, I'm also from belgium, you're dutch or french ? (I'm dutch).

Profile WWW
Spaceflight Participant
Spaceflight Participant
Post    Posted on: Fri Apr 09, 2004 10:14 pm
I'm not Dutch but i speak dutch. :wink:

btw: You've got a great site about the x prize, Sigurd.

Moon Mission Member
Moon Mission Member
Location: Kapellen, Antwerp, Belgium, Europe, Planet Earth, the Milky Way Galaxy
Post    Posted on: Fri Apr 09, 2004 10:18 pm
Soyuz wrote:
I'm not Dutch but i speak dutch. :wink:

btw: You've got a great site about the x prize, Sigurd.

Thanks.
I've sent you a private message.

Profile WWW
Rocket Constructor
Rocket Constructor
Post Drawing   Posted on: Fri Apr 09, 2004 11:31 pm
If it weren't for the funding, I'd write off DaVinci altogether. I assume that with $5 mill in funding, they have to have SOMETHING going. But launching from a balloon?! Sure it gets you closer to outer space, but it would have to seriously limit your payload... And if the next step is ORBITAL flight, then this method would make it that much harder.

For my money, the big bucks backed Space Ship 1 is my bet. They have actually had successful flights, and made it to Mach 2! My back of the envelope calculations show that if they turned nearly veritical at that speed, and cut the engines, that they would have coasted up an additional forty miles. This puts them close to the edge of space already.

Considering they have already been nearly vertical at Mach 1, that wind resistance should be relatively negligible, that they do NOT have to turn off the engine while they are climbing, and that they may have exceeded Mach 2 (Mach 2.1 or so), then I think they are already capable of hitting space.

This versus a machine that is still on the dawing board as far as I know. Hate to be a prophet of doom, but it looks like global domination isn't enough for Microsoft :) :D

Space Station Member
Space Station Member
Post Rockoons Work   Posted on: Mon Apr 12, 2004 4:19 am
Da Vinci's idea is sound. Rockoons have been tested since the fifties. Take a look at what JP Aerospace has been able to do with this type of launch. A first stage as a balloon should work very well for both microsat launches and manned suborbital. Da Vinci might very well be the dark horse entry of the X-Prize.

Profile YIM
Spaceflight Participant
Spaceflight Participant
Post    Posted on: Sun Apr 18, 2004 10:30 pm
Where the hell is Da Vinci's announcement of their launch date (it was supposed to be yesterday)? How do I find out?

Or was it just a sad attempt for publicity?

Profile WWW
Moon Mission Member
Moon Mission Member
Post    Posted on: Sun Apr 18, 2004 10:46 pm
Pete wrote:
Where the hell is Da Vinci's announcement of their launch date (it was supposed to be yesterday)? How do I find out?

Or was it just a sad attempt for publicity?

You're not the only one waiting for it...
No press agency and neither da vinci itself announced anything today or yesterday about it...

Profile WWW
Spaceflight Trainee
Spaceflight Trainee
Post    Posted on: Mon Apr 19, 2004 1:38 pm
That is pretty sorry when they have to make an announcement for an annoucement then they don't even follow through. I think these canooks are all talk, no game.

Moon Mission Member
Moon Mission Member
Post    Posted on: Mon Apr 19, 2004 2:00 pm
Bullspace wrote:
That is pretty sorry when they have to make an announcement for an annoucement then they don't even follow through. I think these canooks are all talk, no game.

Maybe it's just not yet released on the internet... their website really lacks frequently updates...
But if it's a bogus announcement.. I guess they screwed their reliability...

Profile WWW
Launch Director
Launch Director
Post i trust these Canuks..   Posted on: Mon Apr 19, 2004 9:22 pm
..they may not be the underdog to beat all underdogs, but i believe in them .. i suggest any naysayers scan thru the competition (all the teams - perhaps several times) to judge who really has a chance of competing against Scaled .. Sure, Scaled will probably win the Prize, but who will do it cheaper and more reliably? My money is on da Vinci. They're the only team that asks for donations and volunteers up front. They have an underdog backer (Sun). So what their concept is not the sexiest concept in the universe .. Sure, Scaled is sexy, but that doesn't make it cheap and reliable .. If they've gone thru many designs (da Vinci), that's because they're dynamic and adaptable. Only an idiot sticks with a design just because it's cool or sexy .. da Vinci rocks in many ways .. i suggest those who complain or dismiss them - to look deeper into their efforts - to find perhaps something interesting and surprising :wink: Did anyone consider the possibility that bad press about some bogus launch might have been generated by the competition - to make da Vinci look bad? Look deeper into an issue and frequently find the truth floating to the surface :shock:

Spaceflight Trainee
Spaceflight Trainee
Post    Posted on: Tue Apr 20, 2004 1:03 pm
Quote:
Only an idiot sticks with a design just because it's cool or sexy

Are you suggesting that Rutan has stuck with SS1's design because it's cool? I'd counter that he's stuck with that design because it WORKS! That's a hell of a lot more than our cardboard mock-up entrants in the North have achieved.

Space Station Member
Space Station Member
Post No Word Yet from DaVinci   Posted on: Wed Apr 21, 2004 6:16 pm
Out of curiousity I emailed DaVincia couple of days ago to ask when their announcement on a launch date would be made, or if it had in fact already been made. No answer yet.

Profile YIM
Spaceflight Participant
Spaceflight Participant
Post    Posted on: Wed Apr 21, 2004 9:19 pm
I also emailed them, they must have a pretty full inbox. :)

I guess all those people that gave them their $5 million are wondering what's going on.

Profile WWW
Spaceflight Participant
Spaceflight Participant
Post    Posted on: Thu Apr 22, 2004 10:57 pm
I guess now that it's been five days since an announcement was supposed to be made, we can probably write Da Vinci off.

Geez, if it wasn't for SS1 I don't know if X-Prize would have any credibility at all. Sure, Armadillo is making steps (and others), but given the pace of development of these teams, I doubt they'll launch this year let alone this summer.

I wouldn't mind if Da Vinci came out and said, "We've had some delays and can't confirm a launch date yet." However not making an announcement about why they didn't make their launch announcement is just unprofessional.

I need another underdog to support, shouldn't be a problem, there seems to be a lot of them in the x-prize.

Profile WWW
Space Station Member
Space Station Member
Post    Posted on: Thu Apr 22, 2004 11:28 pm
Pete wrote:
Sure, Armadillo is making steps (and others), but given the pace of development of these teams, I doubt they'll launch this year let alone this summer.

Considering the recent hover tests over at Armadillo they probaby could launch within a week if they really wanted to. Although there's a very good chance they'd probably lose the vehicle if they did. By the look of things I think they'll be able to come close to matching the DC-X flights by the summer. I've gotten the impression that they've already written off the current vehicle in their minds and fully expect to crash it during testing. They seem to also have several things going on in parallel with a set of eight large engines and an extra tank for their follow up verticle landing capable larger vehicle, which wouldn't surprise me if they could have that assembled in a month or so if they dropped everything else. They got quite a nasty set back with their fuel problems but I think with that now cleared up and all of their previous work they'll definitely make their own X-prize launches before the end of the year. Especially since to my knowledge they're the only other US based team that has started to seriously wade through the paper work to get a launch license.

Although I don't really follow DaVinci I wouldn't be too quick to write them off. With Scaled composites in the apparent lead I would be furiously working my tail off trying to catch up if I were them and web site updates would be a very low priority. In fact at this point it might be a good strategy for a team like DaVinci to ignore their own web site and hold off posting any real news until they make their 60 notification for the X-prize.