Community > Forum > The Spaceflight Cafe > The moon by 2018 give me a break!

The moon by 2018 give me a break!

Posted by: SERBspace - Fri Aug 04, 2006 4:36 am
 [ 58 posts ] 
Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
The moon by 2018 give me a break! 
Launch Director
Launch Director
Post The moon by 2018 give me a break!   Posted on: Fri Aug 04, 2006 4:36 am
A moon landing by 2018 by the americans of course. Well I dont think so. First of all whats gonna happen with the Shuttle. They say it will retire by 2010 and thats when the CEV will kick in, a massive rocket capable of lifting us to the moon and Mars. First of all its going to take 10 years to develop a new system capable of doing wel moon mars beyond. And the united states government and people dont really seem into space no more. If they were we would be there already.

Cheers,
Serbspace

Moon Mission Member
Moon Mission Member
Post    Posted on: Fri Aug 04, 2006 6:47 am
The only way the US will get to the moon by 2018 is if they adopt the recommendations of the recent White Paper of the Space Frontier Foundation which said that NASA should drop the Block1 variant of the CEV and put more money into COTS.

http://www.spaceref.com/news/viewsr.html?pid=21493

Profile WWW
Spaceflight Participant
Spaceflight Participant
Post Re: The moon by 2018 give me a break!   Posted on: Fri Aug 04, 2006 12:03 pm
SERBspace wrote:
A moon landing by 2018 by the americans of course. Well I dont think so. First of all whats gonna happen with the Shuttle. They say it will retire by 2010 and thats when the CEV will kick in, a massive rocket capable of lifting us to the moon and Mars. First of all its going to take 10 years to develop a new system capable of doing wel moon mars beyond. And the united states government and people dont really seem into space no more. If they were we would be there already.
Serbspace

My guess is there will be a human moon shot about 5 years after Bigelow's space station becomes operational. Even if its only a one person mission with a rocket chair. The person may be an American. If you believe human exploration of the Moon is important how about looking at what *you* need to do to get their.

ta

Ralph

Space Station Commander
Space Station Commander
Post    Posted on: Fri Aug 04, 2006 5:05 pm
Ares V is a must. For moon and Mars. COTS is a dead end and offers no heavy lift.

Moon Mission Member
Moon Mission Member
Post    Posted on: Fri Aug 04, 2006 6:50 pm
publiusr wrote:
Ares V is a must. For moon and Mars. COTS is a dead end and offers no heavy lift.

I agree that Aries V is needed to get us moving away from LEO which is why I think NASA should drop block1 CEV as its only task will be ISS crew rotation and resupply which can be done by others more cheaply, spend the money on accelerating the rest of the program. This will get Aries V built quicker and have astronauts back on the moon faster.

Profile WWW
Space Station Commander
Space Station Commander
Post    Posted on: Fri Aug 04, 2006 6:57 pm
I agree with that.

Moon Mission Member
Moon Mission Member
Post    Posted on: Fri Aug 04, 2006 7:05 pm
Spending some of the saved Block1 cash on COTS could mean that SpaceDev get funding for DreamChaser (originally a NASA design) which could do crew rotation at the ISS at a fraction of the cost of CEV.

Profile WWW
Launch Director
Launch Director
Post    Posted on: Fri Aug 04, 2006 7:08 pm
Idont think people have the drive to leave earth orbit we gotta get em into it.

Space Station Commander
Space Station Commander
Post    Posted on: Fri Aug 04, 2006 7:12 pm
Some ideas
http://forum.nasaspaceflight.com/forums ... 10&start=1
http://www.nasaspaceflight.com/content/cat.asp?cid=16

Spaceflight Participant
Spaceflight Participant
Post    Posted on: Sat Aug 05, 2006 8:36 am
SERBspace wrote:
Idont think people have the drive to leave earth orbit we gotta get em into it.

If you don't think they have the drive to get out of Earth orbit why do you think they have drive to get to orbit?

Ralph

Moon Mission Member
Moon Mission Member
Post    Posted on: Sat Aug 05, 2006 9:21 am
Maybe they have drive to get there cus they have too much of a financial burden not to. It keeps people quiet for a bit, keeps a bit of interest in things and gives them time to think of more failed projects to go further?
Just a thought :)

Profile WWW
Spaceflight Participant
Spaceflight Participant
Post    Posted on: Sat Aug 05, 2006 1:20 pm
Rob Goldsmith wrote:
Maybe they have drive to get there cus they have too much of a financial burden not to. It keeps people quiet for a bit, keeps a bit of interest in things and gives them time to think of more failed projects to go further?
Just a thought :)

Heh??!! Can someone please translate the above to me?

Ralph

Launch Director
Launch Director
Post    Posted on: Sat Aug 05, 2006 9:12 pm
If people had the drive we would be to the moon and mars the russian scare was the drive last time what will it be this time.

Spaceflight Participant
Spaceflight Participant
Post    Posted on: Sat Aug 05, 2006 10:00 pm
SERBspace wrote:
If people had the drive we would be to the moon and mars the russian scare was the drive last time what will it be this time.

Explorers have plenty of drive to explore thats what they do. At this moment cave divers are exploring the unknown depths of the Earth. Trekkers are exploring the little known areas of the surface such as Antarctica. And near space aeronaut Michael Fournier is preparing for his 40km skydive. The financial cost has been the reason they have not ventured into outer space.

They are willing to make considerable personal and financial sacrifices but their goals are realistic. Its just hasn't been possible for adventurer explorers to go until very recently. Look at the oposition Dennis Tito received from NASA. Thats why I expect major private explorations a few years after the Bigelow station is operational. That will be a commercially available launch point to the rest of the solar system and at much reduced cost to explorerers (even if its still cost several million dollars to use).

The moon and Mars can be explored without the need for HLLV or multi-decade NASA plans. The main requirements are the availability of regular transportation and operational feasibility. Human ingenuity and personal ambition will do the rest.

ta

Ralph

Spaceflight Participant
Spaceflight Participant
Post    Posted on: Sat Aug 05, 2006 10:15 pm
G'day,

Justa follow up to my last post. I'm not anti NASA or any other space agency. There are very good national security reason for government moon activities. here is no way any major power is going to let any nation monopolise Lunar activity. The moon is on the top of a gravity well with very real military applications.

Ralph