Community > Forum > General Corporate > Free Plays

Free Plays

Posted by: Pendragon - Thu May 11, 2006 3:19 pm
 [ 12 posts ] 
Free Plays 
Rocket Constructor
Rocket Constructor
Post Free Plays   Posted on: Thu May 11, 2006 3:19 pm
I would like to comment on the free level 1 plays that we get when we go unmatched. As much as I enjoy the 7 free plays I have recieved so far, I think at this point it just rewards those at the higher levels. I know the idea is to speed this up so that we can find a winner faster, but all crux42 has to do is keep making his play knowing that there won't be another match for awhile and he can stock up on a ton of level 1 plays. I doubt this is good for the buisness model you have worked so hard to come up with. Maybe it would be a good idea later when we have more players, but I'm not so sure about it at this stage.

Spaceflight Trainee
Spaceflight Trainee
Post    Posted on: Thu May 11, 2006 3:36 pm
Perhaps you are right. Unfortunately, I was away for three weeks, so I do not know how many people have been playing while I was gone. I do know that before I left I had some days were low level plays were going unmatched. If it makes you feel any better, I have received no free plays so far (but have spent over $100 on buying into the game). It didn't occur to me until this post that you might be right, but it would take me a week to catch up to your free plays. If even a handful of people are still buying in every day, then it shouldn't be long before someone else hits level 8. Halo bought in again and most likely will win against my level 1's today. Dinkin said that someone has a level 6 out there, so they are only a couple days away from hitting me.

I remain excited about the free plays, although I hope in the end it doesn't cost the operator so much money that it threatens the competition. This tactic should encourage everyone who is playing to do so every day and speed up the process. Now we just need to draw in some fresh meat...I mean competition.

Crux

Spaceflight Trainee
Spaceflight Trainee
Post    Posted on: Thu May 11, 2006 4:38 pm
PS. I think that the free play is only if NONE of your plays are matched for the day. Since I also am playing on some lower levels, the chance of me not getting one of them matched is reduced and is not dependent on the level 8 play... I suppose I could just use the lvl 8 by itself everyday, but I am honestly (and perhaps altruistically) willing to keep playing my lower levels to keep the game rolling.

Space Walker
Space Walker
Post motivation for free play if unmatched test   Posted on: Fri May 12, 2006 12:16 am
The promotion test is to award a level 1 entry per level a player is unmatched. If a player has three unmatched plays at level 1, they earn one level 1 play. If they are unmatched on both levels 1 and 2, they earn two level 1 plays.

There are over 600 players registered. This is enough so if they play every day, we will award a flight a year. A very small percentage of them are playing every day. It is my goal to get them to play more frequently. If there is no promotion like this, it is in their interest to hold their money, earn interest on it and bide their time and play toward the end of the tournament. It is indeed a very strong incentive. The first person to level 17, might get $630 in free plays if they wait six months for another player.

A promotion that gives a free level 1 entry to anyone unmatched at a level can potentially pay 17 free level 1 entries or $59.50 per day. It is likely to be less than that as follows:
1. Some days there will be only matches at a particular level
2. Space-Shot.com will earn interest on early plays ($150,000 level 17 play will pay more than $3/day in interest)
3. During ramp up, there will not be plays at higher levels.

$60/day is a little more than $20,000/year which is 1/5 of Space-Shot.com gross profit per flight. If we get 20,000 players playing daily, then we will award a flight every 12 days and the promotion will only cost at most $720 per game.

If you are jealous of crux42 being alone at level 8 for a long time, get your friends to play and together, you can knock him off. Even if they are starting from level 1, it will only take 15 days to get to level 8.

It is important for me to motivate players like halo and crux who have spent the most on the game and have the best records to play frequently. By doing so, they assure that players who play less often are matched. Do note that anyone can start from level 1 and get to level 9. Everyone starts the tournament with the same opportunity to be the one unmatched at the highest level.

Pendragon, do you have a better idea for how to motivate early adopters, assure that players have competitors and do so for a value proposition that works both for Space-Shot.com and the players? (Don't be insulted like asheets because I gave you too many free entries!) We will continue the test until further notice and are considering making it permanent.

Profile WWW
Rocket Constructor
Rocket Constructor
Post    Posted on: Fri May 12, 2006 12:23 am
If you are right about it being ALL you plays have to go unmatched, then that it makes more sense. I am sure Sam can clarify, but looking back at my plays, I only went unmatched when I had only 1 play for the day so I can't verify with my plays. I admit to not playing a lot of my level 1 plays the past week as I found I was losing when ever I played more then 1 play a day :P . I will make sure to play those level 1s as well as my higher level plays.

Rocket Constructor
Rocket Constructor
Post    Posted on: Fri May 12, 2006 12:45 am
Thanks Sam for the clarification. I personally don't mind the free plays since I am just a poor college student living overseas and I probably will only be able to by a pack of plays every few months, so in my case it keeps me playing. I think you answered my biggest concern.

Rocket Constructor
Rocket Constructor
Post    Posted on: Fri May 12, 2006 12:46 am
P.S. Not to toot my own horn or anything, but it looks like that level 6 play will be mine, so I will be matching up against Halo, so I might soon be matching up against crux. A BIG if, since I do have to go through Halo first :P

Spaceflight Trainee
Spaceflight Trainee
Post    Posted on: Fri May 12, 2006 2:55 am
Dinkin, you say we have over 600 players currently. About how many total plays have there been?

Crux

Space Walker
Space Walker
Post plays to date   Posted on: Fri May 12, 2006 3:03 am
crux42, you can figure it out for yourself by clicking on the play detail of some of your plays and counting up the plays each player has made. You will miss some such as players playing only against each other who bought one play each.

We will put in place a state of tournament report that is in development once someone gets to the finals if not before.

Do you think it is wise to disclose participation numbers whatever they are?

Profile WWW
Spaceflight Trainee
Spaceflight Trainee
Post    Posted on: Fri May 12, 2006 4:31 pm
Wise?

At some point wouldn't it be worth it for a person who was near the top to buy all the remaining plays and swamp the system with her/his own entries?

Either way, I would be interested to know how many entries away from flight we are. The wisdom of disclosing such information is up to Space-Shot staff.

crux

Launch Director
Launch Director
Post    Posted on: Fri May 12, 2006 7:20 pm
Don't think that would work. It would cost you more in plays than to just buy the flight.

Space Walker
Space Walker
Post Swamp us   Posted on: Fri May 12, 2006 7:29 pm
Quote:
At some point wouldn't it be worth it for a person who was near the top to buy all the remaining plays and swamp the system with her/his own entries?

After we sell 131,000 entries, we will sell the next 131,000 entries for the second flight. Swamp away. Did I answer your question?

We are 1023 level 8 players away from having a full tournament. :wink:

Profile WWW