Community > Forum > The Spaceflight Cafe > StarTrek 'Cloaking device' possible ?

StarTrek 'Cloaking device' possible ?

Posted by: Sigurd - Wed May 03, 2006 4:57 pm
 [ 10 posts ] 
StarTrek 'Cloaking device' possible ? 
Moon Mission Member
Moon Mission Member
Location: Kapellen, Antwerp, Belgium, Europe, Planet Earth, the Milky Way Galaxy
Post StarTrek 'Cloaking device' possible ?   Posted on: Wed May 03, 2006 4:57 pm
Quote:
The cloaking devices that are used to render spacecraft invisible in Star Trek might just work in reality, two mathematicians have claimed.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/science/nature/4968338.stm

It sounds great :), now lets hope it becomes reality for large objects :)

Profile WWW
Post    Posted on: Mon May 08, 2006 1:19 pm
Hello, Sigurd,

I haven't read the link yet - but I remember having read an article a few years ago saying that the US are developing or already have developed a suit for soldiers including very lot of small cams, processors and a fiber cable of changing its color - a suit that is enabled to adjust its look to what's behind the soldier.

This might make the soldier nearly invisible.

If such a technology can be applied to space vehicles then these vehicles might tend to be able to become invisble like klingon and romulan vehicles in Star Trek.

Dipl.-Volkswirt (bdvb) Augustin (Political Economist)

Moon Mission Member
Moon Mission Member
Location: Kapellen, Antwerp, Belgium, Europe, Planet Earth, the Milky Way Galaxy
Post    Posted on: Thu May 25, 2006 7:02 pm
More news related to Cloaking.

This time it will be build and sponsored by DARPA:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/science/nature/5016068.stm

Profile WWW
Rocket Constructor
Rocket Constructor
Post Related to this topic and *possibly* legit   Posted on: Thu May 25, 2006 8:29 pm
A military.com website I subscribe to sends out an email listing various tecnologies and issues. Stealth Camo was listed as one with some very interesting pictures and links. Depending on how this is accomplished, it could possibly scale up to a 'Starship' size cloak...

thoughts?

The actual company link:
http://www.saferplane.com/stealth

The Military.com link:

http://www.military.com/soldiertech/0,1 ... iertech.nl

(Sorry if the format is goofy, my first post here)

Profile YIM
Moon Mission Member
Moon Mission Member
Post    Posted on: Thu May 25, 2006 10:41 pm
Hello eddieg2 and welcome to the forum.

Related to your links, it states:
Quote:
DefenseReview is therefore skeptical about AAE's rather extraordinary claims regarding their technology's capabilities, especially since we haven't yet seen a live demontration of the technology, ourselves.

I hope to see some verifications.. cause those pictures do not really convince me without evidence.
If this was true.. it seems the BBC doesn't know all and those other researchers are possible wasting their time.. while this is maybe possible, I do not yet trust it... I hope the company will release more details...

Eddieg2, Thanks for the info, if you ever receive more information about it, please feel free to share it with us on the forum.

Profile WWW
Rocket Constructor
Rocket Constructor
Post    Posted on: Thu May 25, 2006 11:06 pm
I don't trust that either, but it has received some varied press lately so I thought I would mention it for this thread topic.
The website looks a bit hokey to me but maybe their forte is not HTML and they concentrate on the actual products in question. The latest versions of photoshop could easily produce any number of those photos on the AAE site so thats not proof positive in my eyes.
Either way, the company address listed on their website is less than 10 minutes form my house. I wrote an email to the 'owner' to see if a live technology demonstration was availible at this time.

I'll let you know what I hear.

Profile YIM
Post    Posted on: Tue May 30, 2006 12:54 pm
Under www.wissenschaft.de there is an article today reporting that an object can be made invisible by a material with a refraction index varying from outside to inside in a particular manner. The impacting lightwaves are refracted then so that they behind the object combine to a pattern as if the object weren't there.

Such materials are called meta-materials and mantles of such materials might be producable within a few (5) years the researchers estimate.

The refraction index at the inner side of the mantle has to be much smaller than at its outer side - then the pattern after passing the object is as if the lightwaves have gone through free space and the object weren't there.

Metamaterials consist of conduction structure like rings or booms much smaller than the wavelength.

The article refers to John Pendry of Imperial College and his coleagues of Duke University and says that the result has been confirmed by Ulf Leonhardt of St. Andrews University in an independent study. both studies will be published in the next edition of Science.

A link to physicsweb.org/articles/news/10/5/16/1 is listed.

Space Station Commander
Space Station Commander
Post    Posted on: Fri Jun 09, 2006 7:23 pm
Interesting.

Moon Mission Member
Moon Mission Member
Post    Posted on: Fri Oct 20, 2006 7:43 am
They've managed to demonstrate an invisibility cloak (at least to radar), do we see a whole new stealth technology in the making?

http://www.spacemart.com/reports/First_ ... k_999.html

Profile WWW
Post    Posted on: Wed Aug 13, 2008 7:48 pm
There are one article under www.wissenschaft.de and www.welt.de each telling that in between cloaking at read visible light is possible.

Materials with a negative index of refraction are applied. These materials are now capable of directing light around three-dimensional bodies - formerly this was limited to two-dimensonal.

The breakthrough was achieved by a tiny net of 21 layers of Silver an Magnesium-Difluorine and by another team via a wood of nano-wires made of Silver embedded into a construction of aluminum.

www.wissenschaft.de is referring to Xiang Zhang (University of California, Berkeley) et al.: Nature, Online-Prepublishment, DOI: 10.1038/nature07247 andScience, Vol. 321, page 930 ( www.nature.com/nature/journal/vaop/ncur ... 07247.html , www.sciencemag.org/ )