Community > Forum > General Corporate > Where is everyone?

Where is everyone?

Posted by: 1_kermit - Wed Apr 05, 2006 11:27 pm
 [ 25 posts ] 
Where is everyone? 
Space Walker
Space Walker
Post Will spaceshot track winners and losers?   Posted on: Fri Apr 07, 2006 10:51 pm
If you go to the detail screen for one of your plays, you can click on your opponent's play and see how they did. If you follow the details of some of their plays, you can see how their opponents did and so on. We have in development a state-of-tournament report that will show how many unused plays are at each level. We will release that by the time someone is in the finals if not sooner.

Profile WWW
Space Walker
Space Walker
Post Professionals?   Posted on: Sat Apr 08, 2006 12:11 am
Are any of you an actual weather person who does this for a living? Because you'd have an unfair advantage over me, the average joe. You'd have access to all those billion dollar super computers.

Empower yourself with research and we will see if we can show that professionals have something to learn. With prepackaged research from AccuWeather and Custom Weather, do you think you could take the place of a professional forecaster? Do this and other research and become the best. Is there a weather Hall of Fame? Who holds the forecasters accountable? We are shining a very bright light on how good the forecasts are. Perhaps we will have a thing or two to teach them.

Profile WWW
Moon Mission Member
Moon Mission Member
Location: Kapellen, Antwerp, Belgium, Europe, Planet Earth, the Milky Way Galaxy
Post    Posted on: Sat Apr 08, 2006 12:23 am
I think weather has a lot to do with Space.. satellites etc, so I think it's a great choise for this game. And great reason why we need better weather prediction.. (to go to space 8) )

Profile WWW
Launch Director
Launch Director
Post    Posted on: Wed Apr 12, 2006 3:35 am
I just started posting today, but have been reading for a while. I imagine other people do the same thing.

Spaceflight Trainee
Spaceflight Trainee
Post    Posted on: Thu Apr 13, 2006 3:55 pm
I hope other people reading and not playing get into the action. I notice as my plays move up getting matches (when randomly paired with other players in the que) is increasingly difficult. I think I heard that there are over 500 players so far, playing I don't know how many times. There needs to be a total of 130,000 plays to make a winner. If each player bought one 'six pack' of plays (of which I bought a few) we are only at about 2.6% of the needed plays to complete the game. By now if there had been some major flaw with the system, or the game was a scam at least one of those 500 would have said so by now. So get off your backsides and get out your wallet!

Space Walker
Space Walker
Post safer than most   Posted on: Fri Apr 14, 2006 1:23 am
We use SSL 3.0 with 128-bit encryption which is stronger than what banks are required to use. We've had $95 billion in cost of goods sold through my auction software at Optimal Auctions.

Profile WWW
Launch Director
Launch Director
Post Re: Is weather prediction chance or skill?   Posted on: Thu Apr 27, 2006 4:58 pm
dinkin wrote:
If weather prediction is predominantly chance, why do we pay weather forecasters so much and the national weather service so much? .

I seriously hope somebody's being sarcastic. I remember leaving the USAF and the only job offers I could come up with were GS-5 level. I changed careers because a rookie computer desktop jockey was making GS-11 equivalent at the time.

The fact is, govt forecasters are underpaid, underequipped, and undermanned to deal with the tons of raw data that is available for use in forecasts. Sure, the Crays are fast, but not fast enough to deal with all the data available and the level of precision needed to generate an accurate forecast over a synoptic range. We have more data than we can deal with, but it isn't precise enough, and there are too many gaps in the coverage. There's lots of good measuring equipment out there (sondes, profilers, doppler, ASOS, ATOS, aircraft reports, etc), but you have to choose which ones to use in a given situation. A good meteorologist supplements data and modelling with experience and education to a larger degree than anyone cares to admit.

Plus, a govt forecaster has to deal with second guessing from the public, the CCMs, and all the TV weather "models" out there. I'm actually surprised that the NWS, NCAR, and NOAA are even operational, given the outside pressures and opportunities that exist outside of the everyday prediction service.

Space Walker
Space Walker
Post Skill no joke   Posted on: Fri Apr 28, 2006 4:25 pm
Dinkin:
Quote:
If weather prediction is predominantly chance, why do we pay weather forecasters so much and the national weather service so much?

asheets:
Quote:
I seriously hope somebody's being sarcastic.

I am putting my liberty at stake to say this is a game of skill.

Profile WWW
Launch Director
Launch Director
Post    Posted on: Mon May 29, 2006 6:58 pm
I just wanted to post a positive note. I can feel that some people are getting discouraged about the amount of traffic and plays happening at Space-shot.com. I just want to say that the game has only been out for a little while, no one has one yet and rocket plane has not even had their first test launch.

I think it will take a while for the game and commercial space flight to take off. We all are getting in at the very beginning, the conception. We can say we were here before anyone else. I don’t know if we have an advantage for starting off earlier but I can say this game and commercial space flight will become a huge business in the next couple of years. Just watch!

Spaceflight Trainee
Spaceflight Trainee
Post    Posted on: Mon May 29, 2006 10:38 pm
I hope that I have not given the impression of being negative! It has been my understanding all along that the game, concept, and suborbital flights are all new ideas and might take a while to generate massive interest.

Keep it up! I will take all chances to promote the game.

crux