Community > Forum > Perception, Barriers & Regulation of Privatized Space Travel > Clearly there's a low interest in space, why?

Clearly there's a low interest in space, why?

Posted by: Sean Girling - Fri Mar 05, 2004 3:45 pm
 [ 35 posts ] 
Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
Clearly there's a low interest in space, why? 
Space Walker
Space Walker
Post Clearly there's a low interest in space, why?   Posted on: Fri Mar 05, 2004 3:45 pm
Hiya, I just logged in, and noticed at the bottom of the front page a bunch of counters detailing number of users etc. I'm surprised that they're so low. It hadn't occurred to me that not many people are all that interested. How can this be? I guess the media frenzy that I hope will surround the first few successful private space companies, might just pique a little interest from the masses. Are WE really that forward thinking that most of the others feel that they just can't join in?

Crazy!

What are your thoughts?

Snowmen fall from Heaven unassembled.

Post    Posted on: Sat Mar 06, 2004 6:31 am
Yes. We are among the pioneers. I noticed a rush of activity when Scaled Composites did their Dec. 17 supersonic flight, but there has not been as much to speculate on since then.

Action breeds news and interest. It’s only a matter of time until the next action is suborbital flight, then XPRIZE Cup, then revenue suborbital flights, then regularly scheduled flights, then X2 PRIZE, then your first space flight. But until then it is excruciatingly slooow. :cry:

All I can say is keep smiling and know that you are witnessing real history. :D

Space Station Commander
Space Station Commander
Post    Posted on: Sat Mar 06, 2004 5:34 pm
ja, the slowness factor is a serious contributer to the lack of interest. i am kind of suprised that we don't get more people on the forums here from, say, space.com, but it's not like they have an obvious link to the site. i think that the activity will heat up when scaled gets around to the serious flights, but i think that the biggest activity will be after x-cup starts up, when people will go here to discuss the teams and such, it'll be a kind of sports forum, unless, of course, a new site and forum is made specifically for x-cup.

Post    Posted on: Sun Mar 07, 2004 6:08 am
It really doesn't affect anybody yet. Well at least not enough to make them want to register and talk about it.

The worst bit is that everyhting the X Prize promises to do has already been promised many times during the past decades. Until we get our first launch the industry has zero credibility. Even if a man was landed on the moon it would really not hold the head lines for very long. It was hard enough to find live coverage of Apollo 13 before it struck trouble.

When people can get a ride in space for $10,000 and when we cross the 10,000 people in space thresh hold then intrest will begin to really apply to the general public.

One thing pioneers or fans of pioneers tend to underestimate is the level of general self-only-intrest of the man in the street. </rant>

Profile ICQ YIM
Moon Mission Member
Moon Mission Member
Location: Kapellen, Antwerp, Belgium, Europe, Planet Earth, the Milky Way Galaxy
Post    Posted on: Sun Mar 07, 2004 10:38 pm
idiom wrote:
One thing pioneers or fans of pioneers tend to underestimate is the level of general self-only-intrest of the man in the street. </rant>

Yes you're right... If I look at my other intrests (psychology), more detailed Spiral Dynamics, I can clearly read out of the humen development stages that Development Stage "green" begins to look at others without real self intrest.
And it asks Development Stage Yellow (above green), to do it without looking to the nature and moral aspect only. (Doing something, for the better, sometimes you can't keep all, no space flight, without polluting the air)
http://hhboard12.free.fr/Sigurd/spiraldynamics.html

1.7 % of the people on this planet is in yellow, while the US is more Orange (2steps below yellow, orange is progress for own intrest), on world scale orange is 18.8 % and Blue(below orange) 30.3 % (more conservatives, black and white, bad and good looking, not gray thinking)...

The world humen development is just NOT YET that ready to accept space flight, there are still too manny other problems limiting people to develop like they should.

Note; while most people are not yet open to those developments, and while others in yellow development state and higher are giving more time to humen developments, space developmnet should go on, cause NEW developments will help develop also underlaying stages. It will give them Hope, Respect, and the posibility of new technology to give them a better life.

So it's for us, our little group over here... to keep this alive... cause we're the few... who know about it.. and can help others... and to tell others who don't know about it YET.

Last edited by Sigurd on Tue Sep 07, 2004 3:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Profile WWW
Moon Mission Member
Moon Mission Member
Post    Posted on: Mon Mar 08, 2004 5:05 pm
Sigurd wrote:
<really long schpiel>

You know, the scary part is that I think I actually understand that...

In Memoriam...
Apollo I - Soyuz I - Soyuz XI - STS-51L - STS-107

Space Station Commander
Space Station Commander
Post    Posted on: Tue Mar 09, 2004 2:26 am
lol, good. sigurd introduced me to spiral dynamics and it's a really cool way of looking at people/the world. read his thing and the next thing you know you'll be categorizing everyone into blue, green, red, yellow, etc.

Moon Mission Member
Moon Mission Member
Location: Kapellen, Antwerp, Belgium, Europe, Planet Earth, the Milky Way Galaxy
Post    Posted on: Tue Mar 09, 2004 3:16 am
TerraMrs wrote:
lol, good. sigurd introduced me to spiral dynamics and it's a really cool way of looking at people/the world. read his thing and the next thing you know you'll be categorizing everyone into blue, green, red, yellow, etc.

Well, don't forget that people are NOT a color, the colors describe them, and they can be, between 2 colors, like Blue and Orange, if blue is leading, then it's BLUE orange and if orange is leading, it's blueORANGE ;)
So it's like a time line with only 10 20 30.. noted.. it can happen in the 90ties... but it can be 1999 and be more to 2000 ;)

An other aspect of people is sub personalities... so they may have "other" colors on other moments, they will have 1 leading color, or they have a splitted personality...

And at each color, egocentric, Intrest, Diciplinne... etc etc some part of you is tested and in some colors the same on an other way as a color below.

I guess if you know the xprize... AND spiral dynamics (note, my website is only a VERY LIMITED description.) that you can clearly see, that this(xprize) IS a leading humen development step... so congrats for the people reading this ;)

As for the general public, most people even don't see most politicians change their view with the public... and don't even look at their moral feelings... OR they are conservatives (blue) and are not open to other ideas. As we look at John Kerry... some people say he's better as bush...John Kerry is Orange, Bush is blue, so yes he's better... but a lot of people are blue... so John Kerry will have to fight hard... cause orange/blue is kinda very nice splitted in the US :)
BUT! I fear that kerry with democrats is ORANGEgreen, so Nasa will get a lower chance... but international co-operation, will get back better.. while with bush.. most other nations feel embarresed..

If we look at the future.. how poletics may change space...:
the next step after Orange is Green, so there will come a green president in about +- 40 years or so... it will make the US look WAY MORE like europé (note, the netherlands, belgium, norway) (france, uk and others not that much yet!,) where green is already more HOT (but still not really leading).
You can describe green for most people as the "silence" "open minded" "more neutral" time of a country... also described as "boring" ;)
Space, especially nasa, will REALLY REALLY get into troubles with this,
what will get priority is the moral thoughts:

This includes the question (what is really needed, what has to be a right, what has to be HERE always...)

Health ? Not company owned.. government, may not go down... else people their life is in trouble
Business ? may do all within the law, BUT poletics should be SEPERATED from business
gay marriages ? maybe not under the name "marriage" but they should be granted the same rights as ANY ONE ELSE
Government ? should keep basic options OPEN for people to chose.. should not interfere with basic life questions, but with the "nation"; religion!, business!.. should be NOT connected with Government.

Those are the real issues of the GREEN.... why a US Army ? why no Department of Peace ?

So we all may see a real shakeup in the US... in the future... now the conservatives are destroying some orange and putting the US back to the past... but this won't stay...
And when this shakeup WILL happen (slowly comming, and will also fade away into Yellow) the NASA will NEED really good reasons to do so... else they may get a really hard time.. cause greens love more mother nature then any other thing... it asks Yellow to understand they went TOO Far... to the green side.. and that they have to "relativate" everything.

When yellow comes... and MOST people are in yellow, (in about 80 years)... Nasa may get a REAL BOOST ;) from Yellow... people start to understand eachother a lot better... from that stage of development... the REAL humen beeing will actually start to be a lot nicer ;)

so space line:

Apollo times: BLUE, have to be the best, the good, other are good or bad. (not neutral, nor +- good)
Ending coldware and 90ties: Blue-Orange (clinton totaly Orange, later he became more Green, his wife seems to be in **Yellow** (would be THE presidente of them all, the first yellow president would change the US as never before...)
Now: Bush BLUE... Bad Or Good... Space BACK +, cause having to be GOOD, ignoring all other problems... no individualism... the nation should be strong.. even if some people have to die from hunger for it.
IF john kerry: Orange, Space - (but still in a very nice way :))

So LIFE isn't easy neither for space... hard times will be those greens ;) but atleast... they become AGAIN moral... they lost a lot in RED, stayed like that in BLUE and ORANGE...

Also nice to know is, greens won't be neurotic... egocentric, .... cause else they can never get that far ;)

Example of a real GREENyellow President:
(this would have been the best electable possible president.. on psychological way of thinking..)
http://www.cnn.com/ELECTION/2004/specia ... inich.html
http://kucinich.us/dp.htm (A Good mannagement can get a lot of money from fixing real problems.... and that money can be spent elsewhere.. as example "SPACE")
http://kucinich.us/dk2.html
http://www.kucinich.us/movies/lightamerica.swf (click at the bottom, on the button"play movie")

As you may notice... He gives REAL attention to the REAL problems ;) not the LEAD media "hype" problems.

Now I'll stop writing, before I can publish it as a book :lol:

Profile WWW
Moon Mission Member
Moon Mission Member
Post Some corrections   Posted on: Wed Mar 10, 2004 12:51 am
MAIN DESCRIPTION: http://hhboard12.free.fr/Sigurd/spiraldynamics.html

I described Democratic Presidential Candidate Dennis Kucinich, GREENyellow; and even only green on some places... the following parts show he is turning into greenYELLOW:

http://www.space.com/astronotes/astronotes.html
He says "NASA Budget Needs a Boost"

As I wrote above... Yellow and higher are THE development stages.. the first real humens to be proud of...

I hope he'll make himself again electable in 4 years, and also 8 years of he doesn't win :) (OR other yellow presidents, like Hillary Rodham Clinton)

Quote:
NASA needs three times its current budget to properly push space exploration out of Earth orbit to other moons and worlds, according to Ohio congressman and Democratic Presidential candidate Dennis J. Kucinich.

In announcement released a day before he was scheduled to launch a two-day campaign in Florida, Kucinich said increased NASA spending will boost jobs today and create the high-tech industries of the future.

http://www.cnn.com/ELECTION/2004/specia ... inich.html
Quote:
Despite his recent flip-flop on abortion -- he consistently voted against abortion rights in Congress, then adopted a pro-choice stand earlier this year -- Kucinich quickly established himself as one of Washington's most unabashed liberals and vociferous GOP opponents.

This shows he's turning his opinions, not sceard of telling "he was wrong", and really "thinks", so future development is possible, if people are locked in a main color group (called Mean Meme) then their development stops...
Bush is a very nice example of a Mean Meme locked president... changing his mind is as good as "not possible".

Profile WWW
Space Walker
Space Walker
Post    Posted on: Wed Mar 10, 2004 9:03 am
Sigurd, are you like a dentist who can't help but look at other peoples teeth? I bet you meet people and before you know it, you've colour coded them.

Moon Mission Member
Moon Mission Member
Post    Posted on: Wed Mar 10, 2004 2:46 pm
Sean Girling wrote:
Sigurd, are you like a dentist who can't help but look at other peoples teeth? I bet you meet people and before you know it, you've colour coded them.

lol, well not really :) the sub-personality part makes it very difficult ;)
as example, I wouldn't be able to say anything about you.. I would need a lot lot lots of more info about you ;)

If you guess too fast... you can guess very wrong with spiral dynamics... it's just not easy to know in 123 where someone is... so I let most people be what they are.. and I won't put a colour on them ;) it asks real think work to figure out... so if I don't stand still about a person... I won't know his colour(s)

But for the people who are in power... or annoy me... or anything more... yeah I use spiral dynamics to know more about them.... also to know how I can speak best to someone without annoying him. (while on the internet... I'm not able to know what kind of people are behind this forum members ;), except for *what* they come over here)

Anyway, back on topic.... has anyone other possible explenations why this forum is so "low popular" ?

Profile WWW
Space Walker
Space Walker
Post    Posted on: Wed Mar 10, 2004 3:05 pm
Well, I think it's just a lack of visibility. When I heard of the X-prize, it was a messy click while browsing the net. Don't get me wrong, I'm very interested in all things about new technical applications, be they medical, computers, biological, astronautical etc. So this seems to show, that even though someone (like me) might be browsing for interesting things, the X-prize isn't obvious. Look about you, and ask three people what the X-prize is. I bet they have never heard of it. Explain a little behind it, and their response will be "Cool, what a great idea!" or something.

Dunno how you'd inform more people though. Perhaps if the prize was enormous, then people would be more aware of it. $10million is hardly huge considering the investment needed. Though it's a nice chunk to knock off the final cost of developement. It would be nice if some real rich entrepreneurs or businessmen would donate a huge stack of cash. For some, $10mill isn't really all that much. Hell, here in the UK, some charities get more than that. You know the ones, some cat home here, some ambucopter there.

But I don't mean to belittle the efforts that have gathered such funds together.

Launch Director
Launch Director
Post need to educate the populus   Posted on: Fri Mar 26, 2004 5:43 pm
I ma new to the board, and what i see is not just a lack of knowledge about the xprize, but a lack of knowledge about space travel. people that I know, think that space is a waste of time, we ahve been there and all we find is rocks, nothing new or big, waht people need to understand is that space industry, and travel, will benifit them and has benifitted them greatly in access to things, in travel, in industry, and other areas. through media or some other method the general population needs to see that space is worth the risk, and can benifit them. waht i think is needed is to have the xprize teams and other private enterprise take over the upkeep of the space station, some excursions ot the moon and kick the goverment space agencies into further explorations such as sending man to mars, and other exploritory and scientific research instead of being delivery people that also deal with satalite repair.

Profile YIM
Space Station Member
Space Station Member
Post    Posted on: Thu Jul 15, 2004 1:05 am
I am new to the forum, but not because of a previous lack of interest. It was more of a previous lack of internet access :( I agree that it's sad that the number of people interested are so low. Hopefully as the competition goes on, the numbers will go up and even though they might not have originally been interested, any increase in public interest is sure to help out the industry because politicians will always cater to the masses. If there is more popular demand, there will be more government funding.

I was born with my eyes to the stars, and my father raised me with a telescope in my hand. (Little surprise I'm majoring in Aerospace Engineering.) But even my dad, who is not only the encyclopedia of general and useless knowledge, but also someone who has always been interested in space, did not believe me when I told him that there was $10 million prize for suborbital private flight. It really is sad the lack of exposure that the prize has gotten up to this point, but hopefully as SS1 comes closer to reaching the prize, the news/media industry will start more extensive coverage.

I'm done rambling for now ;)

UCF-LM CWEP Intern
Lockheed Martin Orlando
Missiles & Fire Control

Profile YIM WWW
Space Walker
Space Walker
Post    Posted on: Thu Jul 15, 2004 10:09 am
Lets be honest about this, mankind is nowhere close to being as developed as Sigurd hopes, although if another Clinton in charge is development I despair for America! The technology that we use, wether private/NGO or government project, is developed by and for the military. Aerospace technology of the 21st century is essentially a refinement of what the UK and Germany had during the last years of World War Two, forced to the Nth degree by the Americans and Russians over the Cold War years. I wish things were different and we could say that we went to space because we were curious, but it is just a bi-product of the old rules of aerial combat, get higher and faster than the other guy. :roll: