Community > Forum > Wirefly X Prize Cup > SpaceShipOne flies again :) (11 MAR 04)

SpaceShipOne flies again :) (11 MAR 04)

Posted by: Sigurd - Sat Mar 13, 2004 11:45 am
 [ 32 posts ] 
Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
SpaceShipOne flies again :) (11 MAR 04) 
Moon Mission Member
Moon Mission Member
Location: Kapellen, Antwerp, Belgium, Europe, Planet Earth, the Milky Way Galaxy
Post SpaceShipOne flies again :) (11 MAR 04)   Posted on: Sat Mar 13, 2004 11:45 am
Objectives:
The twelfth flight of SpaceShipOne. Objectives included: pilot proficiency, reaction control system functionality check and stability and control and performance of the vehicle with the airframe thermal protection system installed. This was an unpowered glide test.

Results:

Launch conditions were 48,500 feet and 125 knots. All systems performed as expected and the vehicle landed successfully while demonstrating the maximum cross wind landing capability.

New Pictures:

SpaceShipOne With the rocket motot for the flight 13p.

SpaceShipOne with it's airframe Thermal Protection System installed.

Profile WWW
Space Station Commander
Space Station Commander
Post    Posted on: Sat Mar 13, 2004 5:51 pm
wow... finally. it's been too long. hopefully this glide test means they're about ready to do another powered flight soon. by the way, anyone know specifically what the "airframe thermal protection system" is? i'm assuming that it's what they're using to control reentry heating but.....

Post Thermal Protection System   Posted on: Sun Mar 14, 2004 3:44 am
Well, it's a lovely shade of pink.

Profile ICQ YIM
Moon Mission Member
Moon Mission Member
Post Re: Thermal Protection System   Posted on: Sun Mar 14, 2004 10:17 pm
idiom wrote:
Well, it's a lovely shade of pink.

Yeah. I noticed the same thing. You'd think they would've picked a dark blue or something that would look nice on the vehicle...but pink?

In Memoriam...
Apollo I - Soyuz I - Soyuz XI - STS-51L - STS-107

Post Thermal Protection System   Posted on: Mon Mar 15, 2004 9:52 pm
The spray-applied thermal protection system used on several X-15 flights (including the Mach 6.7 flight) was pink. I wonder if the Rutan team is using the same basic material?

Moon Mission Member
Moon Mission Member
Post Re: Thermal Protection System   Posted on: Tue Mar 16, 2004 2:13 pm
Franklin Ratliff wrote:
The spray-applied thermal protection system used on several X-15 flights (including the Mach 6.7 flight) was pink. I wonder if the Rutan team is using the same basic material?

I didn't know that. In light of that fact, it seems likely. Obviously the stuff works; probably modified to take re-entry temp.

In Memoriam...

Spaceflight Trainee
Spaceflight Trainee
Post    Posted on: Wed Mar 17, 2004 3:43 am
Things must have gotten kind of hot for Rutan's boy on the last ride. I'm starting to think that everyone is being kind of optimistic if they think it's going to happen this year.

----
Message for Sigurd:

We appreciate your postings regarding space exploration, but would request that you leave non-topical political viewpoints off this site. Politics are always a lightning rod and best examined in the proper forum - which this is not. I'm not the only one who's had a problem with this - I've noticed similar messages in other threads directed to you. I decided to make this one very explicit so you would get the point.

Keep it professional and you will go far. If you use this forum as a political sounding board and you will automatically make enemies. In this case, it is particularly important since much of the US aerospace community is patriotic. If you have any further comments for me, feel free to direct them in a PM.

Last edited by j96 on Tue Mar 23, 2004 10:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Moon Mission Member
Moon Mission Member
Location: Kapellen, Antwerp, Belgium, Europe, Planet Earth, the Milky Way Galaxy
Post    Posted on: Wed Mar 17, 2004 12:44 pm
For all people who feeled themself offended by my respond to j96, my excuses.
To all people who lost time reading it, my excuses.
To all others, my excuses.
To j96, feel free to continue posting related to the xprize, I don't want our personal opinions to eliminate active users.

I better asked to j96, why are you answering on a signature, where I express my opinion to bush.. with 3 words, and a sign for peace arround the world (both from the organization United For Peace) while you're ignorring almost ALL other intresting space and x-prize related posts ? the answer may stay a mistery
In the time attacking me, you could have asked to change it... and changed your post count from 2, to many more.

I hope you j96, can prove me you're a great space supporter and join our little community of space friends with beeing more active. (even if we share other opinions in some other fields).

my rant was: wrote:
@j96, in the US more children dissapear in % then in the belgium.

and the US President, is a concern for every worls citizen.. I'm living in HIS old europ, he is bashing us, ripping deals from us away.. killing our respect..

If you find it annoying that we tell anything about your president, then why is even YOUR president constantly attacking OUR prime minister ?

I agree with you that Saddam wasn't a nice fella, but if the US WAITED... if the US just asked for an international intervention in IRAQ (and waited long anough)... history would be diffrent..just get the UN.. and we agree. and not play the single empire... who threatens when they don't get what they want.. and give a lot when you agree.

"protesting the Iraq war", did I mentioned I have family in Iran ? close to iraq.. ? do you think they agree with the islam or those rules ? you can't get rid of an idea with war.. only from an ennemy and this terrorists is an idea... not just an ennemy that can be defeated in 123, and Iraq should have been done with the UN. don't re-elect bush.. and we're happy.

"recent polls of the Iraqi people indicate that they now consider themselves better off", so get the UN in!

"Short term peace does not equal a lasting or just peace.", I think we're trying to create long term peace... not visa versa.

I have looked at hundreds of pages... I looked at psycholigy.etc etc... all I can see is... that Nelson mandela, daila lama..... psychology and all other things show me that bush his way is WRONG and that terrorist is not an normal ennemy where you can violate international rules for. and just to remind you, the US and RUSSIA created those terrorist in afghanistan in the cold war.

President Clinton and Mandela did a great job in south africa... I could only hope those 2 persons where still in power today... even koffi Annan does not agree with bush.

I'm a liberal, democrat, I belive this is a free forum, in the US is a right to tell what you want, same in belgium, if you asked me more friendly.. I may have done the same, I will change the pictures to links.

Last edited by Sigurd on Sat Mar 20, 2004 12:48 am, edited 10 times in total.

Profile WWW
Moon Mission Member
Moon Mission Member
Post    Posted on: Wed Mar 17, 2004 5:03 pm
HOLD IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:x

Alright, boys and girls, take your politics elsewhere.

j96: We each have the right to post anything in our sig lines that we wish. Do NOT under ANY circumstances intentionally post something that you KNOW should be deleted, because there is nobody here to delete it. This is not a discussion for this forum, but for PM. Take it there.

Sigurd: Don't reply to a flame, especially a political or theological one. Take it to PM, don't bring it in here.

/me gets down off soapbox

'Nuff said.

In Memoriam...

Post    Posted on: Wed Mar 17, 2004 7:13 pm
The "spray on" coating of the X-15 while a wonderful idea, proved to beyond the tech of the day and it was nearly impossible to scrape the old coats of after they had charred.

It is possible a light weight ceramic bog or what not.

Also it doesn't look like its for re-entry but for the ascent given where the protection has been placed.

Profile ICQ YIM
Moon Mission Member
Moon Mission Member
Post    Posted on: Wed Mar 17, 2004 9:30 pm
idiom wrote:
Also it doesn't look like its for re-entry but for the ascent given where the protection has been placed.

This is definitely a possibility -- I hadn't even noticed the lack of a coating on the undersurfaces. Of course, since it's only suborbital and not moving too fast in re-entry, it may only be needed on the leading edges.

In Memoriam...

Launch Director
Launch Director
Post Scaled Flight 13P   Posted on: Thu Mar 18, 2004 7:21 am
If they are mounting the motor the flight will be within days. Safety protocol would not allow storing fuel load in the ship unless it is for flight prep. Does anyone know the status of their Launch Permit???

Spaceflight Enthusiast
Spaceflight Enthusiast
Post "missing" missions   Posted on: Thu Mar 18, 2004 4:51 pm
I notice that the flight designator jumps from 43L in Dec2003 to 49L in March2004. Looking thru the history of the test updates, I see similar gaps over time, and I'm just wondering if anyone knows why that happens? I can speculate and guess like everyone else, but maybe someone has some real knowledge or experience why?

Space Station Commander
Space Station Commander
Post Re: "missing" missions   Posted on: Thu Mar 18, 2004 10:13 pm
catseye wrote:
I notice that the flight designator jumps from 43L in Dec2003 to 49L in March2004. Looking thru the history of the test updates, I see similar gaps over time, and I'm just wondering if anyone knows why that happens? I can speculate and guess like everyone else, but maybe someone has some real knowledge or experience why?

my guess is that just means the white knight flew several times in the interval without ss1 attached.

Spaceflight Trainee
Spaceflight Trainee
Post Missing Flights   Posted on: Fri Mar 19, 2004 6:29 pm
The powered flight in December was flight 8 for spaceshipone, this most recent flight was flight 12 for spaceshipone. So they're clearly not telling us everything. I'm guessing that the missing flights were simply testing repairs after the "crash" landing in December.