Community > Forum > Technology & Science > Heating hydrogen at launch

Heating hydrogen at launch

Posted by: Ekkehard Augustin - Mon Jan 03, 2005 4:06 pm
 [ 5 posts ] 
Heating hydrogen at launch 
Post Heating hydrogen at launch   Posted on: Mon Jan 03, 2005 4:06 pm
At the NIAC site there is a study by Jordin Kare proposing to heat the hydrogen at launch by laser to get higher efficiency. The concept can be used by satellite rrays or cluster in space too if avehicle has to be launched from orbit into interplanetary space.

Is it possible to construct significantly smaller systems for use at the launch of private vehicles? It could be one of several concepts that in combination could assist in achieving the orbit

What ways else could the hydrogen be heated?

Dipl.-Volkswirt (bdvb) Augustin (Political Economist)

Post    Posted on: Thu Oct 13, 2005 5:36 pm
Just this moment another thread here, another discussion at this noard caused me one or two thoughts about this.

Since this concept isn't going to be made reality yet and is a NIAC-study I am Thinking about the possibility if a cvehicle could carry a laser with it. In that case it could heat its propellant itself.

Now that laser seems to have to be extremely large I suppose - but could it contribute to the heat required so that a temperature could be achieved which is sufficiently high to make this method more advantegous than the chemical propulsion?

What about using one mirror or more to reflect sunlight onto the point where the propellant has to be heated? I am thinking about parabolic mirrors which can focus the sunlight because in the focus there is much more temperature.

What is the minimum weight of parabolic mirrors achieveable today?

The heating by sunlight could be combined with heating by laser and with electrical heating...

Post    Posted on: Wed Nov 09, 2005 1:51 pm
I must have mentioned the use of the heat created at reentry in another post or thread already but can't find that thread/cpost currently. So I ask the question here:

There are concepts heating the propellant instead of using it for chemical reactions:

1. electric engines and
2. the idea to heat up the propellant by lasers (NIAC-concept) for example.

So what about using the heat created at reentry to heat up propellant which then would be exhausted into the direction the vehicle is reentering to? Since the plasma which would be used to heat up the propellant is that hot teh vehicle won't require no equipment to heat up the propellant for deceleration.

Could that work?

Post    Posted on: Thu Nov 10, 2005 2:28 pm
moderator remark: post split and made the initial post of the thread "weapon project hiden in a NIAC study" in The Spaceflight Cafe

Post    Posted on: Sat Feb 21, 2009 10:29 am
Might AdAstra's vehicles fit into this topic? They don't apply lasers but simply heat the fuel instead of let it react chemically.

AdAstra's drives are plasma-drives - does the laser-concept create a plasma as well?

Is the laser meant auxiliary only but not to get a plasma?