Community > Forum > Historical Ansari X Prize > Mars X-Prize

Mars X-Prize

Posted by: DLoney - Mon May 30, 2005 9:52 pm
 [ 19 posts ] 
Mars X-Prize 
Space Station Member
Space Station Member
Post    Posted on: Tue Aug 23, 2005 2:15 am
If you make the systems light enough, even an “ultralight “ mission can provide extra systems (for triple redundancy) plus spare parts for repairs by humans. The later was standard procedure on multiyear sailing voyages, and is done even on the ISS. The impossibility of repair or improvisation is a factor that has doomed many robotic missions. This has often made missions with “fragile humans” more robust than the automated ones. (Read the record of some of the polar expeditions!) I personally believe that one year + demonstration of reliable operation on the earth, along with the triple systems, plus spare parts and tools, will make a three year MARS mission reasonable.

I think that selected couples could be found with the required psychological dynamics (some twins?). I am also sure that some loners would be able to handle the “no physical contact” isolation (with all the communication they desired).

I have never suggested that this trip will be for everyone! There are lots of selection factors for the participants. But “the first footprints on MARS” (like those on the MOON) will actually involve only one selected individual. Those who follow will know the answers to a long list of questions before they start. The answers to many questions could be found in Earth orbit (if the years humans have cumulatively spent there already do not provide adequate hints), but often very conservative approaches are so unexciting as to be unfundable. Rutan, as an example, could have dragged out his testing with many more intermediate tests. He could even have matched the 15 years between the X-1’s first cautious steps toward the sound barrier, and the X-15’s max altitude (which SpaceShipOne exceeded).

Incidentally, the “zero G” centrifugal evaporator (the last stage in complete water recycling) I currently have spinning will probably run for more than five years, with its brushless motor, ball bearings and no other moving parts! And it is light enough to take three along!

Profile WWW
Post    Posted on: Tue Aug 23, 2005 7:34 am
Hello, rpspeck,

regarding what you said regarding the willingness to pay 6 millions or a little bit more for a trip to Mars I think there is evidence there will be people who are willing to pay that amount - given three people willing to pay 20 millions for an orbital trip aboard Soyuz and t/Space's CXV-concept which would fly 4 to 6 persons into orbit at 20 million for the fligth which would be 3 millions to 5 millions per person.

From my point of view you are pioneering the way for personal Mars-flights by what you are posting at this message board since long - plus your work and your posts assists what Clark Lindsey has emailed according to the news page of this board.

Dipl.-Volkswirt (bdvb) Augustin (Political Economist)

Space Walker
Space Walker
Post    Posted on: Tue Aug 23, 2005 4:33 pm
Cowboy: The first FOUR flights of STS were NOT fully crewed, there was only room for the flight crew of 2 because the emergency escape system took up the entire remaining space on the flight deck. Still risky, but not as much as implied.

I think there is a reasonable middle ground between rp and Pete in terms of what qualifies as "being ready" for a Mars mission. On the other hand, if Putin came to the Microspace office tomorrow and said "I'm giving you our entire space program, free of charge!" I still don't think (even with that head start) that rp could send a manned mission to Mars for $100 million. Don't get me wrong, rp, I believe you are definitely chasing the right technology, its just that Murphy is an economist's nightmare as well as an engineer's.

Moon Mission Member
Moon Mission Member
Post Re: MARS-NOW (at least very soon)   Posted on: Tue Aug 23, 2005 7:47 pm
rpspeck wrote:
Personally, I expect the timetable and cost for the first MARS trip to involve surprising low numbers.
In my experience there is no such thing as surprisingly low numbers. There are only expected low numbers and surprisingly high numbers. The final, actual numbers never end up lower than the first estimates!

Profile WWW