Community > Forum > Virgin Galactic Forum > Virgin Galactic Update

Virgin Galactic Update

Posted by: Andy Hill - Sat Jul 09, 2005 9:54 pm
 [ 13 posts ] 
Virgin Galactic Update 
Moon Mission Member
Moon Mission Member
Post Virgin Galactic Update   Posted on: Sat Jul 09, 2005 9:54 pm
I received an update from Vigin Galactic the other day (I am on the mailing list) and thought people would be interested in a couple of things it said.

Quote:
MISSION UPDATE
DESIGN AND BUILD Work is well underway in the Mojave Desert on the initial design and technical feasibility of Virgin SpaceShip “Enterprise” and MotherShip “Eve”. Burt Rutan and his team at Scaled Composites are excited and encouraged by the results from this work.

Alex Tai, Head of Operations at Virgin Galactic explained, “Although we can’t divulge any details yet, we are confident that our safety and configuration specifications can and will be met and that we will very soon be able to move to the construction stage of the project”.

So as yet no hardware has been produced but its still very early so no surprise there and it seems like we might have some hardware soon. Maybe by the end of the year or that might be wishful thinking on my part. :)

Quote:
EXPERIENCE OSHKOSH
It’s official! Virgin is bringing SpaceShipOne/White Knight and Global Flyer to EAA AirVenture Oshkosh, the world’s greatest aviation celebration to be held in Wisconsin between 25th and 31st July 2005. These two aircraft promise to be the highlights of the event and will be the only opportunity to see both in one place. You will also be able to view SpaceShipOne in close quarters.

MEET THE VIRGIN GALACTIC TEAM
The Virgin Galactic team will be close by SpaceShipOne to answer any questions and welcome interested parties or potential astronauts. “You’ll be able to sign up, secure your seat and be part of this pioneering and historic venture. We look forward to seeing you there”. said Susan Newsam, Head of Marketing for Virgin Galactic.

I hadn't heard about this, I thought they had retired SSO to the Smithsonian. I thought that White Knight was supposed to be doing some drop tests with the X-37, anyone know anything?

Profile WWW
Moon Mission Member
Moon Mission Member
Post    Posted on: Wed Jul 13, 2005 2:36 pm
Ahh, you're a bit mixed up in your details. First, the SSO/WK team was always planned to show up at AirVenture; they fly and retire SSO to the ASM directly after that. Second, it's the Proteus that's flying the X-37 in Mojave. Keep in mind that the White Knight is a Proteus derivative.

In Memoriam...
Apollo I - Soyuz I - Soyuz XI - STS-51L - STS-107

Space Station Commander
Space Station Commander
Post    Posted on: Wed Jul 13, 2005 5:04 pm
Proteus was used to drop that t/Space test article. SS1 itself will likely be retired. White Knight was what carried the X-37 itself IIRC.

Spaceflight Participant
Spaceflight Participant
Post Re: Virgin Galactic Update   Posted on: Wed Jul 13, 2005 5:20 pm
Andy Hill wrote:
I received an update from Vigin Galactic the other day (I am on the mailing list) and thought people would be interested in a couple of things it said.

I hadn't heard about this, I thought they had retired SSO to the Smithsonian. I thought that White Knight was supposed to be doing some drop tests with the X-37, anyone know anything?

Did you just sign up for the Mailing list or you just received the update? Because this update is allready a few months old. Sigurd also posted this update a few weeks back on the news page as a "new" update. A lot of people seem to suffer from memory loss because a lot of people didn't notice it was the same old update. :)
I think White knight just won't do a drop test in the week in goes with SS1 to Oshkosh and the Smithsonian. It doesn't seem to require extensive modifications to fly the X-37 so i don't see a problem. Allready there seem to be some weeks between the different test flight with the X-37. So they won't have a problem finding the time to fly to Oshkosh.

spacecowboy wrote:
Ahh, you're a bit mixed up in your details. Second, it's the Proteus that's flying the X-37 in Mojave. Keep in mind that the White Knight is a Proteus derivative.

You are mixing up i'm afraid. White Knight does the drop tests of the X-37. Take a look a this picture: http://www.mojaveweblog.com/photos/050621/scaled-x37-050621-34cr-8.jpg.
Proteus did the drop test of the T/Space booster model.

Moon Mission Member
Moon Mission Member
Post Re: Virgin Galactic Update   Posted on: Wed Jul 13, 2005 9:47 pm
Soyuz wrote:
Did you just sign up for the Mailing list or you just received the update? Because this update is allready a few months old. Sigurd also posted this update a few weeks back on the news page as a "new" update. A lot of people seem to suffer from memory loss because a lot of people didn't notice it was the same old update. :)
I think White knight just won't do a drop test in the week in goes with SS1 to Oshkosh and the Smithsonian. It doesn't seem to require extensive modifications to fly the X-37 so i don't see a problem. Allready there seem to be some weeks between the different test flight with the X-37. So they won't have a problem finding the time to fly to Oshkosh.

I signed up for their mailing list back last year. I got the update on 22 June while I was away on holiday lying on a beach (probably why I missed it being posted by Sigurd, sorry for that).

So SS1 will go on permanent display at the Smithsonian after Oshkosh?

Profile WWW
Moon Mission Member
Moon Mission Member
Post    Posted on: Thu Jul 14, 2005 1:29 pm
Oh... Heh. Oops. :oops:

In Memoriam...
Apollo I - Soyuz I - Soyuz XI - STS-51L - STS-107

Space Station Commander
Space Station Commander
Post    Posted on: Thu Jul 14, 2005 3:26 pm
It's easy to get Proteus and White Knight confused--seeing both have all the rigidity of a wet noodle--just kidding Burt!.

Proteus is actually very strong.

The latest in light flight:

http://www.livescience.com/technology/0 ... plane.html

I like this and the new all hydrogen flyer Mac' has been flying in place of that (ERAST) Helios--now that thing really was flimsy!

Space Walker
Space Walker
Post    Posted on: Thu Jul 28, 2005 2:39 am
Hi all,
Don't know if this is just regurgitated news but seems Virgin Galactic and Rutan are moving ahead.

www.space.com/news/050727_branson_rutan.html

Sounds good if accurate.

Beancounter from downunder.

Moon Mission Member
Moon Mission Member
Post    Posted on: Wed Aug 17, 2005 5:13 pm
Scaled and Virgin have received ITR clearance, according to a recent space.com story.
http://www.space.com/news/050815_virgin ... _itar.html
This clears the way to start building SS2. :D
And Virgin says they already have recieved nearly $10 million worth of deposits from future passengers!

Profile WWW
Space Station Commander
Space Station Commander
Post    Posted on: Wed Aug 17, 2005 5:38 pm
Now they are getting some more of that REAL money--things should snowball. Once one group lays out that kind of dough--other folks with means take you a lot more seriously. I was beginning to think the X-prize was just going to be a flash in the pan.

Here's to proving me wrong. I hope it happens more often.

Post    Posted on: Fri May 29, 2009 6:47 pm
According to the article "Virgin Galactic Completes First-Phase Rocket Tests" ( www.space.com/missionlaunches/090528-sp ... -test.html ) they in between successfully fired the engine of SpaceShipTwo.

The article explicitl<talks about a latest series of tests.

Dipl.-Volkswirt (bdvb) Augustin (Political Economist)

Moon Mission Member
Moon Mission Member
Post    Posted on: Mon Jun 15, 2009 5:38 pm
If anyone hasnt yet seen it, here is the link to the White Knight Two Flight Test Summaries.

http://scaled.com/projects/t1b/logs-WK2.htm

Here is the latest update:

Objectives:
FAA Monitored flight for pilot "Type Rating"

Results:
Rating Issued

Profile WWW
Space Walker
Space Walker
Post Re: Virgin Galactic Update   Posted on: Tue Mar 15, 2011 5:24 am
Couple of interesting articles recently:

VG have signed up (right behind XCor) contract for sub-orbital science investigatons and experiments.
http://www.virgingalactic.com/news/item ... -to-space/

Also notice there's now a bit more discussion around Concord-style intercontinental hops. That'd be exciting to see come to fruition. Sorry lost the article but I'll try to find and post later.

Cheers.