Community > Forum > Bigelow's America's Space Prize > An-225 as white knight?

An-225 as white knight?

Posted by: Alessandro - Fri Nov 26, 2004 3:49 pm
 [ 66 posts ] 
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
An-225 as white knight? 
Moon Mission Member
Moon Mission Member
Post    Posted on: Wed Jun 15, 2005 1:58 pm
publiusr wrote:
That suits me just fine. Let the world keep thinking that, as Alabama expands its new Mercedes plant...and its new Honda plant...and its new Hyundai plant...and its Toyota engine plant...and its All-EELV (and now Delta II) plant in Decatur and...

We're not all Bo Bice and the Girl in Aruba. Good or Evil, Alabama has been a state of leaders, from the Civil War to Civil Rights. To this day, George C. Wallace was the only Third Party candidate that ever had a chance--before the Bremer hit. Sadly, he would have been more progressive than many in Washington now. That isn't saying much.

JFK Jr. once said that we had a defiant streak in us--and that could be both good (Rosa Parks) and bad (Bull Connor).

Hey, I ain't knockin' the South. It's the one region in the country with the most economic potential, by far. Hell, man, I was born in North Carolina, and moved through Alabama down to Florida where I've been for the past 13 years. Shortly up to Atlanta (the greatest city in the Southeast), and from there to parts unknown.

In Memoriam...
Apollo I - Soyuz I - Soyuz XI - STS-51L - STS-107

Space Station Commander
Space Station Commander
Post Re: AN225   Posted on: Wed Jun 15, 2005 7:02 pm
Don't worry about it Space Cowboy. I have some interesting info about the author of the quote below:

pfurlonger wrote:
Rumours to the effect that the An225 operators are bankrupt are completely untrue. The An225 is alive and well and living in Gostomel, Kiev. It is available for charter from Antonov Airlines.(www.antonovairlines.co.uk). Since certification for commercial use it has operated extensively throughout the world including many missions to/from the USA. Antonov has accomplished air drop by parachute extraction from the An124 and has successfully carried various items on the roof of the An225 and the An22. If funds were made available there is no reason why An124 and or An225 could/should not be used as 1st stage methods for air launching of space vehicles. The second An225 remains available for completion in the Antonov facility in Kiev. The An225 and its sister An124 aircraft are incredibly reliable, well constructed, simple and user friendly aircraft with enormous capability. They should not be dismissed lightly or once again the West will miss an opportunity and probably spend more than necessary to achieve its desired aims.

I had heard AN-225 was bankrupt from a salesman--BTW That seems to have not been the case. Shows what I (don't) know.

The author of the quote above is none other than the spokesman for Antonov Airlines that I e-mailed. I wanted to have him connect with all of you--because I think the X-prize crowd may be the key to getting that second AN-225 built. He tells me that all he needs is 100 million to get it up and running. See if you can get Rutan and others to send him a pm. He is a valuable resource, and I would like to see the folks here engage him in conversation.

Rutans VLA is going to cost a good deal anyway. Everything is getting bigger:
http://www.livescience.com/technology/a ... corde.html

Heavy-Lift of one sort or the other is what is needed.

Mr. Furlonger is the spokesman for Antonov Airlines. I think he may wish to hear from you all.

Post    Posted on: Thu Jun 16, 2005 7:02 am
Burt Rutan explicitly has said that one major goal of Scaled Composites is to have fun by developing, constructing and building vehicles that Scaled is paid for.

So they may want to build the VLA themselves really and it may be impossible to convince them.

Additionally the development of a new VLA is a chance to make use of the newest technological developments and results as well as to do develop new technologies or new breakthroughs themselves.

Dipl.-Volkswirt (bdvb) Augustin (Political Economist)

Moon Mission Member
Moon Mission Member
Post    Posted on: Thu Jun 16, 2005 1:53 pm
Aye, and why's he going to listen to us? The only way to do it is to get somebody to organize a group letter.

Oh, and as far as the Japanese SSJ: the only way a supersonic liner will be built is if it's practically silent. NASA needs to get that SBJ research done first.

In Memoriam...
Apollo I - Soyuz I - Soyuz XI - STS-51L - STS-107

Space Station Commander
Space Station Commander
Post    Posted on: Thu Jun 23, 2005 8:25 pm
It looks like Mobile may get that Airbus plant after all. I wrote to Mr. Furlonger and he looks to approach Branson on this.

Space Station Commander
Space Station Commander
Post    Posted on: Thu Jun 23, 2005 10:17 pm
Confirmed:
http://kyw.com/finance/finance_story_173112950.html