Community > Forum > National Aeronautics and Space Administration (NASA) > NASA reorganisation

NASA reorganisation

Posted by: Andy Hill - Wed Jun 08, 2005 12:28 pm
 [ 7 posts ] 
NASA reorganisation 
Moon Mission Member
Moon Mission Member
Post NASA reorganisation   Posted on: Wed Jun 08, 2005 12:28 pm
Micheal Griffin seems to acting the "new broom" role by changing the jobs of 50 senior managers at NASA.

http://www.spaceref.com/news/viewnews.html?id=1029

Craig Steidle has resigned, not surprising as I think there had been some problems reported already between the 2 men. Not sure whether that is good or bad, I thought he was doing OK but I suppose he was appointed by Sean O'Keefe so he might have had baggage with him that Griffin didn't want to carry. Hope they appoint someone who will be willing to finance T-Space's CXV craft.

Profile WWW
Space Station Member
Space Station Member
Post    Posted on: Wed Jun 08, 2005 2:13 pm
The biggest change, if NASA really wants to be effective, is to really make sure that they dont hire more people then they need. They have to let go off the 'local responsibilities' (not sure if thats the word) they probably have off the government. They're big, they do lots of different things, but if they really want to go efficiently into a new age, they have to reorganise everything. Not just a few top managers, they dont built rockets.

Space Station Commander
Space Station Commander
Post    Posted on: Wed Jun 08, 2005 5:37 pm
That is true. But Griffin is smart enough to know that alienating the 'standing armies' doesn't get you anywhere. The standing armies are best served with actual HLLV hardware that keeps their political support for NASA alive. If you slice jobs after you rebuild infrastructure--that is one thing.

What Goldin did was to keep the jobs--but fragmenting control--building kingdoms--and giving people make-work--instead of real hardware.

Griffin is a hardware man. He is limited to the cuts he really wants to make, because he needs support--so he had to give the aviation people a bone. Same with Hubble.

I would have put a ban on all Delta launched Mars missions, let that Delta II take a rest--and focused on HLLV only.

But I'm not Chief Admin--Griff is--and he knows what he has to do...and how.

Moon Mission Member
Moon Mission Member
Post    Posted on: Thu Jun 09, 2005 6:28 pm
It seems the management cull goes on, latest hit are:-

Quote:
Chesson learned of Steidle's resignation during a telephone conference with him on 8 June. He says that Steidle claims many other senior managers will be leaving, including Fred Gregory, the deputy administrator; Bill Readdy, who runs the Shuttle programme; Al Diaz, who heads NASA's science division; and Michael Kostelnik, who helps to manage the International Space Station programme.

Looks like Griffin is hitting all the major NASA posts. I wonder who he will be getting to take over, possibly a shuffle round like a government winning a second term. Nah not his style, it'll probably be new blood.

http://www.nature.com/news/2005/050606/ ... 06-11.html

Profile WWW
Space Station Commander
Space Station Commander
Post    Posted on: Fri Jun 10, 2005 4:21 pm
Steidle HAD to go--he was becoming a real obstuctionist and a real EELV-only hack for the prime contractors---and did his best to undermine Griff's heavy-lift mandate.

BTW I spoke with Pete Worden a couple of days ago and expressed my concern that the project-formerly-known-as-ARES might be awarded to Boeing or Lockheed-Martin, and how this must not be allowed since their first reaction would be to sit on it so as to not threaten their existing expendable product lines.

Hu Davis of Starbooster fame had asked for help--but was turned down. And now orbital sciences gets busted by the Feds.

The Druyen types are still infesting the Pentagon.

Moon Mission Member
Moon Mission Member
Post    Posted on: Wed Jun 15, 2005 12:37 pm
Yeah, what was it that OS did? I remember hearing something scandalous about them, but I don't remember quite what.

In Memoriam...
Apollo I - Soyuz I - Soyuz XI - STS-51L - STS-107

Space Station Commander
Space Station Commander
Post    Posted on: Wed Jun 15, 2005 7:37 pm
I wish Griff luck. He is going to need it.