Community > Forum > General Support > Hall of Fame Archive

Hall of Fame Archive

Posted by: spacecowboy - Wed May 25, 2005 4:06 pm
 [ 9 posts ] 
Hall of Fame Archive 
Moon Mission Member
Moon Mission Member
Post Hall of Fame Archive   Posted on: Wed May 25, 2005 4:06 pm
Hey, I was just thinking (after reading this post) that we might want to put up some sort of "Hall of Fame" post archive, where all the most memorable posts were put on display -- the best flames, comebacks, even the occasional idiot post by BRN or Nguyen. An IRC room that I used to frequent did this quite a lot... Look here.

PLEASE NOTE: this is much more like an "e-bar", and tends to get rather bawdy at times -- so if you're easily offended, don't follow the link.

Otherwise, you will almost certainly find something to make you laugh.

In Memoriam...
Apollo I - Soyuz I - Soyuz XI - STS-51L - STS-107

Moon Mission Member
Moon Mission Member
Location: Kapellen, Antwerp, Belgium, Europe, Planet Earth, the Milky Way Galaxy
Post    Posted on: Wed May 25, 2005 5:18 pm
Good idea :)

I'll see what I can do... (when all my other new site programming work is done).

Profile WWW
Moon Mission Member
Moon Mission Member
Post    Posted on: Wed May 25, 2005 5:23 pm
:D

In Memoriam...

Subterranean
Post    Posted on: Thu May 26, 2005 1:46 am
Meanwhile, how about using this thread for Hall of Fame nominations?

Hard to choose among the many possibilities by rpspeck (Astrofish Named Wanda, One-Way Midget to Mars Mission, etc.), but this is a favorite: http://xprizenews.org/forum/viewtopic.p ... ght=#12861

rpspeck wrote:
This is an open letter to Dr. Peter H. Diamandis:

Dr. Diamandis,

I did not have occasion to talk or communicate with you personally in my role as leader of the Micro-Space X Prize team. However, I believe the following idea deserves your attention.

The National Space Society is pushing the message that, by White House Directive, funding for a Hubble Service mission “will be wiped from the budget”. (March, 2005)

I claim no supernatural insight into the vicissitudes of political policy, nor ability to change it. I understand that a multibillion dollar “blank check” for what is viewed as a slim chance to save this valuable asset might be money poorly spent. However, rather than abandon hope, let congress do this:

Transfer title of this asset to the X PRIZE Foundation, on the condition that they can arrange for a manned servicing mission to reach, and upgrade the Hubble telescope.

Let that organization offer a One Billion Dollar prize for a successful service mission.

There is no chance that this asset can be replaced for less money. This is probably less than what has been invested into upgrade hardware, designed to fit this instrument, which can be installed in this effort. The mission itself is easier than Bigelow’s challenge, and the reward 20 times larger! I believe that a group of very motivated individuals will tackle this challenge, and succeed! (With Elon Musk at the forefront). And, should THIS effort fail – unlike traditional approaches – no money is spent!

The prize offering can be funded by agreements from the international community (and the US if it so desires) to pay for use of this incomparable asset.

I believe that after your wonderful success with the X Prize last year, you will be able to find a sponsor willing to propose a bill of this sort in congress – and that given the suggested action, this amazing instrument will be preserved and upgraded (with no public cost or risk) instead of being destroyed!

Thank you for your attention. (PS, while I have your attention, I would welcome an opportunity to demonstrate in “Zero G” flights a “Man Maneuvering Unit” (suitable for use by orbital tourists) and a long duration life support system.)

Richard P. Speck Micro-Space, inc. 4/11/2005

Moon Mission Member
Moon Mission Member
Post    Posted on: Thu May 26, 2005 11:16 am
hahaha i like this idea a lot!! any other suggestions for categories for the hall, while were waiting for it to get started?

were you thinking of posts with the most amount of replies, funniest posts,etc?

Profile WWW
Moon Mission Member
Moon Mission Member
Post    Posted on: Thu May 26, 2005 12:55 pm
Well, I was just thinking "most memorable". For example, a couple of the posts by BRN or Nguyen (so we can all ridicule them more easily); any that had any sort of historical significance (like the post by rpspeck above); or a post that somehow managed to get us falling out of our chairs laughing.

A voting system of some type should be in order, with a minimum number of votes (say five or six) required to get a post in the Hall of Fame. I also think (maybe) that voting should be limited to senior members -- that way we don't have a whole bunch of some idiot's friends sign up for accounts just so they can vote for his/her post.

In Memoriam...

Moon Mission Member
Moon Mission Member
Post    Posted on: Thu May 26, 2005 1:16 pm
hehe, count me in!

Profile WWW
Subterranean
Post    Posted on: Thu May 26, 2005 3:25 pm
spacecowboy -- don't be so quick to exclude and prefer -- you never know: some idiot's friends might be on their way to space sooner than you think!

Moon Mission Member
Moon Mission Member
Post    Posted on: Thu May 26, 2005 3:52 pm
Mmph. Misunderstood again. My point is that if the voting is restricted to the "regulars" here, then the quality of the quotes will increase: that way, we don't get a bunch of lame and/or pointless "quotes" posted by, say, the "M Prize" group -- NOT THAT THEY EVER WOULD, or that their posts are lame or pointless. I'm just giving an example of a large outside group swarming into the boards in a short period of time.

In Memoriam...