Community > Forum > Technology & Science > Nasa rover breaks down on Mars

Nasa rover breaks down on Mars

Posted by: Sigurd - Thu Jan 22, 2004 7:13 pm
Post new topic Reply to topic
 [ 16 posts ] 
Nasa rover breaks down on Mars 
Author Message
Moon Mission Member
Moon Mission Member
User avatar
Joined: Tue Jul 15, 2003 8:46 pm
Posts: 1215
Location: Kapellen, Antwerp, Belgium, Europe, Planet Earth, the Milky Way Galaxy
Post Nasa rover breaks down on Mars   Posted on: Thu Jan 22, 2004 7:13 pm
As many of you may have already seen.... Nasa's Mars rover Spirit is in trouble.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/science/nature/3421071.stm

If they can't fix it... as it seems a possibility.... it's a great technological loss.... also for science...

_________________
Heavier-than-air flying machines are impossible. - Lord Kelvin, 1892


Back to top
Profile WWW
Spaceflight Trainee
Spaceflight Trainee
avatar
Joined: Sat Nov 29, 2003 6:38 pm
Posts: 44
Post    Posted on: Thu Jan 22, 2004 10:07 pm
This is a very sad day for all man kind :cry: I hope they can get it working again in plus I heard they got something from it! Lets hope for the best! This is yet another reason to send humans that don't brake down.

_________________
I hope man gets back to the moon, in my life time!

A weather in space message board!
http://cat5superstorm.proboards18.com/index.cgi


Back to top
Profile
Launch Director
Launch Director
avatar
Joined: Fri Jan 02, 2004 2:58 am
Posts: 10
Post    Posted on: Sun Jan 25, 2004 6:44 pm
anybody got any news on beagle 2?

just wondering about it..........


Back to top
Profile
Space Station Commander
Space Station Commander
User avatar
Joined: Mon Oct 06, 2003 9:22 pm
Posts: 843
Location: New York, NY
Post    Posted on: Sun Jan 25, 2004 7:28 pm
beagle 2 == dead
spirit == improving
opportunity == perfect by all indications


Back to top
Profile
Spaceflight Trainee
Spaceflight Trainee
avatar
Joined: Sat Nov 29, 2003 6:38 pm
Posts: 44
Post    Posted on: Sun Jan 25, 2004 10:08 pm
Sprit is almost ready to roll
opportunity hit the jack pot!

_________________
I hope man gets back to the moon, in my life time!

A weather in space message board!
http://cat5superstorm.proboards18.com/index.cgi


Back to top
Profile
Moon Mission Member
Moon Mission Member
User avatar
Joined: Tue Jul 15, 2003 8:46 pm
Posts: 1215
Location: Kapellen, Antwerp, Belgium, Europe, Planet Earth, the Milky Way Galaxy
Post    Posted on: Sun Jan 25, 2004 10:16 pm
Never lose hope, unles it's proven dead.

Search for lost Beagle 2 renewed
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/sci/tech/3422113.stm

_________________
Heavier-than-air flying machines are impossible. - Lord Kelvin, 1892


Back to top
Profile WWW
Space Station Commander
Space Station Commander
User avatar
Joined: Mon Oct 06, 2003 9:22 pm
Posts: 843
Location: New York, NY
Post    Posted on: Sun Jan 25, 2004 11:00 pm
i don't know about you but i think there really is no doubt that beagle is dead and gone, it's more than a month since it was supposed to land, if it could be contacted by anything other than possibly a rover on the surface near to it it would have been.


Back to top
Profile
Moon Mission Member
Moon Mission Member
User avatar
Joined: Tue Jul 15, 2003 8:46 pm
Posts: 1215
Location: Kapellen, Antwerp, Belgium, Europe, Planet Earth, the Milky Way Galaxy
Post    Posted on: Mon Jan 26, 2004 12:35 am
TerraMrs wrote:
i don't know about you but i think there really is no doubt that beagle is dead and gone, it's more than a month since it was supposed to land, if it could be contacted by anything other than possibly a rover on the surface near to it it would have been.


Well as a programmer I learnd to debug..... all people with real debugging exeriance know you should never give up too soon... cause you know how manny stupid mistakes can cause something... what if beagle 2 just has to be contacted at the right angle, cause of the mars sand walls arround it ?

What if it's a very weak connection..., what if it can only accept incoming messages but not sending something out... just checking something, sending a commando to use a second transmitor etc etc... all should be tested and re-tested and this can take MONTHS to figure out.

There is a 80% chance it's really broken and in several parts... but don't forget the 20% chance a lot more could go wrong... just with the software or a small hardware problem... or even the location it landed.

What if spirit got silent just after landing ? they would have thaught... that it didn't landed but that it was maybe also in several parts on mars.. crashed.. so never guess, keep trying and keep hoping.

_________________
Heavier-than-air flying machines are impossible. - Lord Kelvin, 1892


Back to top
Profile WWW
Space Station Commander
Space Station Commander
User avatar
Joined: Mon Oct 06, 2003 9:22 pm
Posts: 843
Location: New York, NY
Post    Posted on: Mon Jan 26, 2004 1:11 am
i'm not saying it's not impossible, all those possibilities you mentioned certainly are real, but i think the chances of it being alive are dwindling. i'd put the chances of it haven broken up at about 90%, the chances of it being intact but inoperational (aka communication antennae broken off) at about 5%, chances of it simply having landed in a spot impossible to communicate from (aka under a crater rim) at 2%, leaving a 3% chance of it being possible to reach even should the correct angle and location be signaled.


Back to top
Profile
Space Walker
Space Walker
avatar
Joined: Sun Sep 28, 2003 9:58 pm
Posts: 111
Post    Posted on: Mon Jan 26, 2004 11:12 am
When the schedule allows, Mars Express will start looking for Beagle, or the remnaints of it. At least the parachute should be visible, and that should tell a lot.


Back to top
Profile
Moderator
Moderator
avatar
Joined: Thu Jun 03, 2004 11:23 am
Posts: 3745
Location: Hamburg, Germany
Post    Posted on: Sat May 23, 2009 5:52 pm
Again Spirit is having problems - it's stuck similar to Opportunity years earlier.

It is required to lokk below Spirit to have a chance to get it unstuck healthy.

So should rovers for other planets be equipped with cams looking down under them? Should the be equipped by sensors and radars to probe the ground under them?

This equipment would have to be protected against damage by touching the ground.



What about that?



Dipl.-Volkswirt (bdvb) Augustin (Political Economist)


Back to top
Profile
Spaceflight Enthusiast
Spaceflight Enthusiast
avatar
Joined: Fri Nov 20, 2009 12:43 pm
Posts: 1
Post Re: Nasa rover breaks down on Mars   Posted on: Mon Nov 23, 2009 12:35 pm
Hi,The Rover send by NASA has been broken down on the Mars, while it was performing the collection of the data. The first successful Mars rover was Sojourner. They have higher chances of failure, due to landing and other risks, and that they are limited to a small area around a landing site which itself is only approximately anticipated.


Back to top
Profile
Moderator
Moderator
avatar
Joined: Mon Feb 09, 2004 4:01 am
Posts: 747
Location: New Zealand
Post Re: Nasa rover breaks down on Mars   Posted on: Mon Nov 23, 2009 7:59 pm
We have your satellite if you want it back send 20 billion in Martian money. No funny business or you will never see it again.

— Reportedly on a wall in a hall at NASA's Jet Propulsion Lab, California, after losing contact with the Mars Polar Lander.

_________________
What goes up better doggone well stay up! - Morgan Gravitronics, Company Slogan.


Back to top
Profile ICQ YIM
Space Station Commander
Space Station Commander
avatar
Joined: Thu Oct 27, 2005 7:44 am
Posts: 707
Location: Haarlem, The Netherlands
Post Re: Nasa rover breaks down on Mars   Posted on: Thu Nov 26, 2009 8:16 pm
I'd mount an inflatable bladder at the bottom somewhere, with a small pump to pump in Martian air. Similar to what they use in the desert to get vehicles unstuck (using exhaust gas to inflate, in that case).

_________________
Say, can you feel the thunder in the air? Just like the moment ’fore it hits – then it’s everywhere
What is this spell we’re under, do you care? The might to rise above it is now within your sphere
Machinae Supremacy – Sid Icarus


Back to top
Profile
Space Station Commander
Space Station Commander
User avatar
Joined: Mon May 31, 2004 9:47 pm
Posts: 801
Location: Yerushalayim (Jerusalem) - capital of Israel!
Post Re:   Posted on: Sat Nov 28, 2009 9:18 pm
Matthew17 wrote:
This is a very sad day for all man kind :cry: I hope they can get it working again in plus I heard they got something from it! Lets hope for the best! This is yet another reason to send humans that don't brake down.

Ummm. . . Humans do break down.

_________________
“Once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return.”
-Anonymous


Back to top
Profile WWW
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 16 posts ] 
 

Who is online 

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 10 guests


cron
© 2014 The International Space Fellowship, developed by Gabitasoft Interactive. All Rights Reserved.  Privacy Policy | Terms of Use