Community > Forum > All other competitions > re: tests by da Vinci - Dec 2004

re: tests by da Vinci - Dec 2004

Posted by: Dr_Keith_H - Mon Nov 29, 2004 9:07 am
 [ 27 posts ] 
re: tests by da Vinci - Dec 2004 
Space Station Commander
Space Station Commander
Post re: tests by da Vinci - Dec 2004   Posted on: Mon Nov 29, 2004 9:07 am
So does anybody know where exactly this "old quarry in Ontario" might be? The one where they are going to test the magic helmet ... ah, sorry, I mean the rocket.

Dave S, where are you man? You've been our Kindersley "roving eye" before. Got any juice?

With all the endlessly mindless and empty hype being vomited forth by the media it would be nice to have something we can give credence to.

DKH

P.S. they should make Feeney eat the sandwich.

Launch Director
Launch Director
Post    Posted on: Mon Nov 29, 2004 12:27 pm
I find strange that he made such bold statements earlier this year, to fly in early October, when he must've been fully aware that it wouldn't be possible. Why would he do that? It doesn't exactly make him look good.

Spaceflight Participant
Spaceflight Participant
Post The Helmet O'Brian and Truth   Posted on: Tue Nov 30, 2004 2:06 am
Never fear Brother Keith, the Magic Helmet O'Brian is still amongst you.

I've just been stuck down here in Thailand so it's harder to see what the hell is going on, NOT, in Canada.

Some people question our right to judge/condemn NSFB. They suppose that we must first suffer direct harm. But don't we all suffer harm if we allow less than the truth to be reported to the world at large as fact? This new industry is turning science fiction into business fact. It must be protected from those who would mislead potential customers and investors.

One affective approach is to directly question the news organizations that reprint without verification. Harbringer did this last week and it woke up at least one reporter.

Your question about the location of the 'Stone Quarry' is well taken. Can we ask it directly of the DaVinci squad?

Mush on ....

Spaceflight Participant
Spaceflight Participant
Post    Posted on: Tue Mar 01, 2005 8:14 am
Speaking of O'Brian

Oh, Brian!

It's getting a little warmer in Kindersley now.

http://www.weather.ca/weather/cities/ca ... SK0148.htm

By the end of next week, it'll be above freezing at night, and if the trend continues, you can launch in about two weeks. The highways are perfectly clear, so you could start moving all your gear today!

Space Walker
Space Walker
Post    Posted on: Fri Mar 25, 2005 5:16 am
Well, if (NS)FB has any gear, I'm sure he'll be moving up to Kindersley pretty soon. That is to say, don't expect much of anything to come from DaVinci. If he had gear he would have launched a long time ago or given us some pictures of a vehicle that does not look like it has suffered severe fire damage.

The problem is that this is not limited to DVP. Pretty much every X Prize team except for Scaled Composites has done a good job at proving that it never had much more than vaporware and pretty CGI renderings. Many teams have been totally inactive since Scaled took home the prize money. It's time we all start taking things with a much more hefty grain of salt.

Profile WWW
Rocket Constructor
Rocket Constructor
Post    Posted on: Fri Mar 25, 2005 9:08 pm
Well, FB could at least test his "World's Largest Re-usable Helium Balloon" to show a little good faith to the people of Kindersley :roll:

While it's true that most other teams havn't really done anything either at least most of them didn't make rediculous claims about launching non-existent hardware and some were completely honest about their progress or lack thereof.

I maintain that the biggest culprit in the DVP fiasco (other than FB himself) was Dr. Diamandis. He was so anxious to have some kind of race taking place that he bought every thing that FB told him at face value, obviously without checking things for himself.

Launch Director
Launch Director
Post    Posted on: Sat Mar 26, 2005 11:51 am
I think that some teams have slowed down because they're not in any hurry now. Others had to stop before that, or even after but because of budgetary problems. At least one team, Interorbital, seems to have switched over to orbital spacecrafts. The teams I think will be interesting include Canadian Arrow and StarChaser.

Space Walker
Space Walker
Post    Posted on: Tue Mar 29, 2005 12:15 am
The thing is, we haven't really seen any signs of progress in any of the teams besides Scaled, at least to the best of my knowledge. Canadian Arrow has turned mute post-X Prize. Da Vinci supposedly did test their helium balloon, you be the judge on their progress. Interorbital made big statements about winning the America's Space Prize by 2006, and then tested an engine in the 2,000 pound-class a few months later, IIRC. Starchaser has gone around talking about developing commercial space travel, without apparently doing much for the cause themselves, engineering-wise anyway. Armadillo made a vehicle that went crunch, then one that went splat. They have now completely abandoned nearly all of their progress in the last few years. It appears that the only possible wild card in the lot is ARCA, but we'll have to wait for their grand announcement of progress, coming this June.

Not a very rosy picture, but perhaps something a little closer to reality than the common view on this forum pre-September 2004.

Profile WWW
Space Station Commander
Space Station Commander
Post    Posted on: Tue Mar 29, 2005 8:18 am
Still painting yourself as a one eyed man in the land of the blind.

May 27 ... starchaser announced that they had completed another starchaser 4 ... did you miss that? Brauny your brain is broken.

What happened? Easter bunny decide to skip your house this year?

DKH

Space Walker
Space Walker
Post    Posted on: Tue Mar 29, 2005 9:22 am
I wonder why they require two of the Starchaser IV class rockets? Is the diameter large enough to fit the Churchill Mk III engine for a test program or do they want to wheel another one around to more shows and schools for the education program? Either way, I am glad to see construction is still going on up there. All I need now is my share option brochure which hasn't been sent yet...

Moon Mission Member
Moon Mission Member
Post    Posted on: Tue Mar 29, 2005 10:58 am
yeah i would think it is to send around the schools maybe use one abroad if they go anywhere? maybe they just think a new one looks cooler? would have been nice if they could have clocked up some altittude with it and let us see some tests! ah well, thery did say more news soon right? not quite the same to see that as when u see nova and a vid of the launch! dont want to be negative but surely that would have cost a lot to build? should they not have put funding into the bigger rocket?Rob

Profile WWW
Space Walker
Space Walker
Post    Posted on: Tue Mar 29, 2005 10:46 pm
Dr_Keith_H wrote:
Still painting yourself as a one eyed man in the land of the blind.

Well, you can paint me however you like. As long as it's not lead-based. That stuff's bad for you. In any case, I would prefer to think of myself as a voice of reason unafraid of unpopular and perhaps pessimistic outlooks.

The Starchaser 4 is a lovely-looking rocket, but what exactly does it do? The thing burns solid fuel so it's of no use as a propulsion testbed, and only goes about 5,000 feet high. There are very few elements of its airframe that would likely be common with the Thunderstar, so not much use as a design prototype. But for all the world, the Starchaser 4 looks like it means business, especially poised horizontally on its trailer like the old Soviet IRBMs. It would seem that this is the Starchaser 4's real use, as a publicity-generator, and thus the fact that they have elected to build a new one is not all that impressive. Unfortunately, Rotary Rocket has shown that you can't attract funds off things that look cool, you have to actually do things.

I have a proposition to make, DKH. You wouldn't happen to be a betting man, would you? If between today, March 29, 2005, and the date December 31, 2005 any private company operating without governmental assistance launches at least one person in a proprietary launch vehicle to an altitude of 100 kilometers or more, I will change my screename to "Hugh Jass" (or another embarrassing screename, at the admins' approval), my avatar to a screenshot from the videogame Pokemon, and my sig to the following quote:
"I'm doin' all right, gettin' good grades,
The future's so bright, I gotta wear shades."
-Timbuk3

However, if no such flight occurs, you must change your screename to "id10t_virus" (that's "eye dee ten tee"), your avatar to one of a Delta II launch failure (I have one in mind I could show you), and your sig to the following:
A mind is like a parachute- it works best when open

I will make this bet with anyone who accepts my terms. Any takers? 8)

Profile WWW
Space Station Commander
Space Station Commander
Post    Posted on: Wed Mar 30, 2005 7:39 am
I'm sorry Braunster ... can you get back on track here for just a minute? ... you said "we havent really seen any signs of progress" and then I pointed out a sign that you missed ...

I thought it was pretty funny ... obviously you just sashayed straight through to the forums without giving Sigurd's news page even the slightest glance when you made the referenced post.

Your last post is also humour-filled too. I think either you have an acidic sence of humour, or you're merely stupid.

SVB wrote:
The thing burns solid fuel so it's of no use as a propulsion testbed

Sure to go down in history as one of your least perceptive observations. Next time put it in context.

The terms of your bet are ridiculous. You have lept directly from "signs of progress" to manned launch by the end of the year as if it is the same thing - I guess that must be your minimum prerequisite for "signs of progress".

You are the voice of reason? No, you are the voice of the whiner - you are of a generation so used to instant satisfaction that anything that takes longer to serve than a big mac doesn't meet what you hilariously refer to as your standards.

When you finish school and enter the real world you are going to need some intelligence behind your posturing bombast. Pay attention in class, it will do you good.

DKH

Moon Mission Member
Moon Mission Member
Post    Posted on: Wed Mar 30, 2005 8:33 am
I was just wondering what progress Scaled has made since winning the X-prize. People are having a moan about other teams not posting updates and letting the general public know whats going on but Scaled havent posted anything about progress on their website either.

Any mention of them in the press normally concerns the fact that they won the x-prize or are going to build some craft for virgin, nothing about what has been happening since early November. Now you might argue that they have commercial reasons for keeping quiet, but then doesn't all the teams now that the prize has gone?

Profile WWW
Post    Posted on: Wed Mar 30, 2005 9:53 am
It may be due to their information policies - they are keeping all in secret that isn't ready As far as I remember the passenger capacity of Virgin Galactic vehicles isn't determined yet - the first information was five people but in between one time I read of eight to ten people. They have to do new designs and so on.

One of the reporters interviewing Burt Rutan got a smile and "no comment" as answer when he pointed to something and asked Rutan if it was a part of an orbital vehicle (cannot find the article currently but I read it under Latest News).

May be the reporters avoid to urge Rutan - perhaps they fear that he might refuse interviews in future.

Dipl.-Volkswirt (bdvb) Augustin (Political Economist)