Community > Forum > Perception, Barriers & Regulation of Privatized Space Travel > Can Private Space Travel Take us to Mars?

Can Private Space Travel Take us to Mars?

Posted by: Senior Von Braun - Sun Dec 14, 2003 1:38 am
 [ 77 posts ] 
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Can Private Space Travel Take us to Mars? 
Moon Mission Member
Moon Mission Member
Post    Posted on: Mon Mar 21, 2005 2:30 pm
If you can really duplicate the functions of the Elektron oxygen generator with a simpler, lighter and more reliable machine, then you should build one and fly it. NASA no longer does get away specials but there may still be a chance to fly under this program.
http://www.wff.nasa.gov/efpo/main/oppor ... s_iss.html
And Bigelow has invited experimenters to fly in his inflatables for free.
http://spaceflightnow.com/news/n0409/27bigelow/

Profile WWW
Space Station Member
Space Station Member
Post    Posted on: Tue Mar 22, 2005 4:18 am
Thank you for the Bigelow link. I am in the process of building a zero g compatible system which will sustain me (a far from compact “Astrowanabe”). A prototype Oxygen system should be operating within days, with a permanent CO2 scrubber and water reprocessing system in the next two months. I will defer the CO2 “Water Gas” “reformer” system for a bit, since it has more limited benefit. While I like the Bigelow idea (and he needs the system), I think I will be ready before he is. Other than a medium term personal demonstration (with fully invertable hardware), I prefer the idea of flying a recycled rodent habitat piggyback on a SpaceX product. I suspect that the real costs of a “free” NASA launch will be excessive. I plan to post updates on this effort to a “Deep Space Hardware” thread in the Micro-Space forum.

Profile WWW
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6