Community > Forum > All other competitions > Not So Flyin' Brian...The Fat Lady Sings

Not So Flyin' Brian...The Fat Lady Sings

Posted by: harbinger1337 - Fri Oct 29, 2004 1:47 am
 [ 33 posts ] 
Not So Flyin' Brian...The Fat Lady Sings 
Space Station Member
Space Station Member
Post    Posted on: Tue Nov 23, 2004 5:40 pm
I have never before seen the amount of negativity directed at DVP by people who had nothing to gain or loose by their attempt. I happen to think DVP will launch eventually.

Profile YIM
Spaceflight Enthusiast
Spaceflight Enthusiast
Post News Update   Posted on: Tue Nov 23, 2004 6:34 pm
According to this article: http://www.thespacereview.com/article/274/1 the DVP team "currently plans to perform an unmanned test flight in the third week of December" and a manned flight is supposed to occur sometime after that.

We will all have to wait and see if this happens or not. All I know is that in Kindersley there is little talk of DVP either positive or negative as nothing has been heard from the DVP team.

Time will tell as to what we will see out here.

Moon Mission Member
Moon Mission Member
Post    Posted on: Sat Nov 27, 2004 4:21 pm
There's been another delay but it appears they still intend to launch. It probably makes more sense to try in the new year anyway, its probably closer to what DaVinchi could achieve before they annouced their october date.

see the attached article it looks like its going to be January for a test flight with a manned flight to follow in the spring, cant say I blame them given the weather in Canada at this time of year.

http://www.canada.com/edmonton/edmonton ... 071fedfb83

I hope this has got some substance behind it rather than a precurser to another delay.

Profile WWW
Spaceflight Trainee
Spaceflight Trainee
Post    Posted on: Sat Nov 27, 2004 6:13 pm
I continue to be amazed that people continuue to take Flyin' Brian at his word....again...from his mouth to God's ear...no corroboration. Nobody has seen anything of substance and those who write for these fishwraps feel no obligation whatsoever to corroborate anything independently. Bravo!!!

Moon Mission Member
Moon Mission Member
Post    Posted on: Sat Nov 27, 2004 6:45 pm
I think that you should lighten up on FB a bit, I dont believe much of what I hear from him either (including the above article) but you're starting to make me feel sorry for him. :)

Did he do something to you in a previous life or something? :lol:

He needs no one to point out his difficiencies, he's doing a grand job himself.

Profile WWW
Spaceflight Trainee
Spaceflight Trainee
Post    Posted on: Sat Nov 27, 2004 11:43 pm
Just calling them the way I see them...nothing less, nothing more.

Space Walker
Space Walker
Post    Posted on: Sun Nov 28, 2004 3:24 am
I for one remain optimistic that he will do it, because when you have a dream to make something happen, and worked hard to do it?? you will do what ever it takes to make it happen....... will I would any way!

But I guess only time will tell, and we will soon find out!

Iain

Profile WWW
Spaceflight Trainee
Spaceflight Trainee
Post    Posted on: Mon Nov 29, 2004 4:43 am
Hi Kiwi,

That's just it. We keep waiting to 'find out' but each time the launch is imminent and then it is invariably delayed. I'd prefer to not feel like Charlie Brown trying to kick the football by continuing to have faith in Davinci. I'd like to see a credible space journalist invited into the secret DaVinci HQ and then give us some independent verification whether NSFB is bonofide or not and has the funding, equipment, know how, permits, insurance etc. to do what they're promising.

Still, I think that Brian now has a realistic time-table. As I said back in October, we'd maybe see an unmanned flight this year but the real manned launch won't occur until Spring, at best. My only hope is that FB will quit grandstanding and creating paper designs, and get down the business of building a real rocket. I wonder if he lacks the discipline to execute, and is a visionary unable to make the transition. If he can't execute, he needs to turn the Davinci day-to-day operations over to a project manager who can and meanwhile stay on as public head and astronaut.

Launch Director
Launch Director
Post    Posted on: Mon Nov 29, 2004 5:36 am
Hmmmm,

as far as I am concerned, he is actually years behind.
They are a group of amatures, who dont have a built rocket, let alone engines.

There is no experience, no testing, no rocket.

Even with off the shelf bought engines, which they have said that they are building themselves now they couldnt do it that fast.
Look at Armadillo.
They have been testing and testing and refining engines for quite some time and still dont have it good enough to build into a working rocket ( LOX/Kerosene that is )

I cannot fathom how Brian can be ballsy enough to keep saying that they will launch again and again, without anything close to a finished tested machine.

In all the news articles are offered up, in reference to testing and building and experimenting everything is always mentioned in the future tense. ie 'will begin testing soon', 'will launch a test early in the new year' etc etc.

It all means nothing to me, I have nothing against the guy personally (Brian), but seriously, everytime the man opens his mouth out comes something substantially incorrect. I still cant get over the comments that they were neck and neck with Scaled even though they had flown and tested nothing, despite Scaled having even flown one suborbital test.

Andrew

Spaceflight Trainee
Spaceflight Trainee
Post    Posted on: Tue Nov 30, 2004 6:00 am
Andrew,

You're right - I'm making some very kind assumptions when saying that DaVinci now has a "realistic" schedule. I'm assuming that FB is mostly on the level and has suffered only from excess optimism, routine setbacks, and minor grandstanding. I'm also assuming he has a capable and committed team as well as enough funding to get to a manned flight. While his claims before were totally preposterous (beating Scaled), they are now possible (unmanned lauch in January) and remotely possible (manned launch in the spring.) Heck, STC had flying (though exploding) hardware in less time than DaVinci's been working on their vehicle.

Unfortunately, if he's a real Music Man, we'll never see any kind of progress next spring, next year, next decade, or ever. I also continue to wonder if he's virtual only and can't build real hardware.

We really do need to pressure the media to investigate this guy. I'd suggest we challenge the next few articles directly en mass, not just HB. There's got to be some muck-raker who would love to nail this guy if he's a fraud. I also wonder what a background check, or inquires to the Canadian government would turn up...

Launch Director
Launch Director
Post Thanks Brian   Posted on: Mon Mar 21, 2005 5:42 pm
The last news is that he supposedly finished his balloon in December.

Which makes me wonder how he planned to launch in October

Its kind of depressing all these companies asking for money and don't even bother to update their websites.

How many have actually launched something even as a test?

I'll retract all this if DVP actually does anything but I haven't heard anything in over 3 months not even rumours.

Like really how long does it take to put a picture online or to do a small news interview
I bet if he wanted to do that the Canadian News Agencies would be right there

Space Station Member
Space Station Member
Post    Posted on: Tue Mar 22, 2005 1:45 am
Welcome to the forum :)

Lots of old threads revived recently, hmmm..

Anyway, I completely agree. I know the Canadian Press would be more than happy to give people some news of DVP, but *shrug* not up to us. I'm getting ready to write an article about Scaled though, I'm in contact with their VP at the moment :D More on that when its finished, or at least closer. ;)

UCF-LM CWEP Intern
Lockheed Martin Orlando
Missiles & Fire Control

Profile YIM WWW
Launch Director
Launch Director
Post    Posted on: Tue Mar 22, 2005 1:53 am
Thank you :) I devour this kind of news so can hardly wait to see an article about Scaled Compostes. Well especially about Scaled.

I'm not discounting the DVP totally but when triumphs are heard around the world instantly (and so are disasters) silence is just plain weird

Space Station Commander
Space Station Commander
Post    Posted on: Tue Mar 22, 2005 3:00 am
flyin' brian's speaking at ISDC, maybe he'll have something to say.....

also i'm looking into getting media access for that since i'm technically a reporter here. of course i have no journalism training, but hey....

Software Developer

Also, check out my fractals

Post    Posted on: Tue Mar 22, 2005 9:48 am
Please remember that they - DVP - may have observed the threads about them here and will have been not that delighted about them. Regardless of the question if the posters have been right objectively or if they can be understood these special threads and posts cannot be exoected to be invitations to DVP to publish news or to update their website.

A lot times they have been called upon to show something real that can fly - their pgotos didn't have been believed and so on. Consequently they may hvae decided to publish never agian previous to having completely ready at least one thing - ballon or engine or vehicle or something else. And they may have decided to apply another criterion too: to show only something that is working well when published...

Dipl.-Volkswirt (bdvb) Augustin (Political Economist)