Starchaser Update

Posted by: Sigurd - Wed May 19, 2004 7:25 pm
 [ 78 posts ] 
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Starchaser Update 
Space Walker
Space Walker
Post    Posted on: Thu Jan 06, 2005 1:21 pm
It's up to you mate. The new magazine is pretty good quality and I particularly like the bitter rants against SS1 winning by spending twice the prize money. I also think it is important to show support for the UK going back to space in any capacity at all and that the government see that we want to be there. However, you are a student and two nights on the p*** mean a lot. Well it did to me. Wait until you are employed and then buy shares. We all know you support them and you can get the info off this site eventually. If you can't pony up, right a letter of complaint to your MP demanding they recognise and support what Starchaser are trying to do. And I don't mean jumping on the band-wagon for cheap publicity, I mean lobbying for them and getting some backing.

Launch Director
Launch Director
Post    Posted on: Wed Jan 12, 2005 10:10 am
Steve Bennet's rant in the new Starchaser Ignition Magazine was great fun. I liked the bit about scaled developing a Ferrari when a VW would have done.

It was particularly pleased to read about a new research partnership with University College Chester to develop an astronaut training programme. I live but a short walk from the college so when the space tourist industry kicks off I may just open a B&B for budding astronauts :wink:

Also for those visiting Liverpool/Merseyside area you will soon be able take a 'Ferry Cross the Mersey' and visit the new 'Space Port' next to the ferry terminal (shame its not a real space port and just and exhibition about space)

Moon Mission Member
Moon Mission Member
Post    Posted on: Sun Jan 16, 2005 3:55 pm
sorry to bring this up again guys but i have to ask why after nova has now had its maintenance would it realy be that expensive to fly it again but to 100km surely the publicity would make it self funded?
wanna ask someone from starchaser but cant post on messageboard, so if mike or anyone is reading this....?

rob

Profile WWW
Launch Director
Launch Director
Post    Posted on: Mon Jan 17, 2005 4:36 pm
The STARCHASER 4 / NOVA vehicle was designed as an intermediate step in our development programme. It provided us with invaluable experience in building, launching and recovering a fairly large RLV.

Since its flight the STARCHASER 4 / NOVA vehicle has been a major contributor to our educational outreach programme. The impact on high school students is amazing. First this large rocket turns up at school and then they see the video footage of it actually flying, this combined with the comprehensive, curriculum linked, presentation/lecture is truly inspiring.

We have discussed the option of refitting NOVA for another flight but all our effort and resources are focused on developing the systems, hardward and technology for the STARCHASER 5 / THUNDERSTAR 3-man RLV.

If you want a more detailed view of Starchaser projects I would invite you to join our supporters club, Team Starchaser. As a member you receive our quarterly magazine which contains detailed updates on the various projects. You also have access to the member's area of the Starchaser web site which includes update summaries and you have the ability to post questions to the forum. For more detailed information on the benefits of membership please visit www.starchaser.co.uk

All funds raised from Team Starchaser membership directly contributes to our development programme.

Thanks for your interest and hopefully your support.

Space Walker
Space Walker
Post    Posted on: Thu Mar 10, 2005 7:19 pm
Starchaser: fly, or keep quiet!
I see no reason for belittling Rutan's achievement, other than envy and petty excuses for your lack of success.

Thank you

Launch Director
Launch Director
Post    Posted on: Mon Mar 14, 2005 1:18 pm
Starchaser have had plenty of success. It is their Thunderbird vehicle that is not yet finished. Considering all their experience though I think that they will be successful, the question is when.

Space Station Commander
Space Station Commander
Post    Posted on: Mon Mar 14, 2005 1:25 pm
109Ace wrote:
Starchaser: fly, or keep quiet!
I see no reason for belittling Rutan's achievement, other than envy and petty excuses for your lack of success.

Question 1 - Is Steve Bennet using "mike" as his monicker here on this forum? If not then your ranting at the wrong guy.
Question 2 - Why are you such a jerk?

DKH

Launch Director
Launch Director
Post    Posted on: Tue Mar 15, 2005 12:46 am
Please be assured that I am NOT Steve Bennett.

I have never belittled the achievements of Scaled Composites. From a competitive point of view everyone at Starchaser was frustrated that we didn't win, but we all acknowledge what has been achieved and we recognise the skill of the Scaled Composites team. We also applaud Paul Allen's vision and faith in providing the estimated $20million funding for Scaled Composites.

Some people assume Starchaser IS Steve Bennett, this is not the case. The team at Starchaser are able to exercise free thought and walk and talk independently of Steve Bennett.

As to the future; Sarchaser are working to build a sustainable business upon which we will continue our development activities. We fully intend to build and launch a number of RLVs and want to play our part in opening up access to Space for all those who wish to go.

Scaled Composites have proved beyond a shadow of doubt that the entrepreneurial private sector can develop vehicles capable of reaching Space. It is this achievement that will give the investment community the confidence to follow Paul Allen. There will be many companies making bold claims seeking to attract investors and I would encourage all of them to read the "Signal to Nosie" article posted on the Space Review http://www.thespacereview.com/article/329/1

Moon Mission Member
Moon Mission Member
Post    Posted on: Sun Mar 27, 2005 6:15 pm
hey guys im back here under the new name instead of Robiwan :P
just posted the new starchaser update on the news page! take a look, a new starchaser 4 rocket built! anyone got any news? mike perhaps?
:D
Rob

Profile WWW
Space Walker
Space Walker
Post    Posted on: Tue Mar 29, 2005 1:10 pm
Mike wrote:

Quote:
We have discussed the option of refitting NOVA for another flight but all our effort and resources are focused on developing the systems, hardward and technology for the STARCHASER 5 / THUNDERSTAR 3-man RLV.

And then you go on to construct a second in class of the SC IV? I'm not badgering you (well, I am really) as I am a supporter, but this message is contradictory and will only serve to bring the wrath and furious destruction of DKH down upon you. I presume your intentions will become clear in the next magazine, but I hope to God you are aiming to test the new engines in these airframes and fly them to some great height. Less than that may seem a little disingenuous to some in the forum...

P.S. How is the big bunny getting on? (SC V)

Space Station Commander
Space Station Commander
Post    Posted on: Tue Mar 29, 2005 1:43 pm
luke.r wrote:
will only serve to bring the wrath and furious destruction of DKH down upon you

What? Am I breaking up in the atmosphere or something? Perhaps you meant "destructive fury" instead. :lol:

In the meantime, what was said was not contradictory at all ... it's all "part of the development" which may certainly include building more preliminary testbeds (or even display stands if that helps the cause in some way) if warranted. So I have no cause to be particularly wroth with mike.

Line read line.

DKH

Moon Mission Member
Moon Mission Member
Post    Posted on: Tue Mar 29, 2005 2:21 pm
i realy wanna know why they have made it! if it's just for the outreach prog' then id be a bit dissapointed

Profile WWW
Space Walker
Space Walker
Post    Posted on: Thu Apr 14, 2005 10:03 am
Well I have had a reply from Adrienne on the starchaserplc forum. The second SCIV vehicle is to be used to test the liquid fuel Churchill III engine and tanks, and they have every intention of flying it to a much greater height somewhere in America. So I stand corrected, there is a great deal of progress being made in Cheshire...

Moon Mission Member
Moon Mission Member
Post    Posted on: Fri Apr 15, 2005 10:17 am
hey man just read ur posts on the starchaser forum! so does this mean they will be using engines similar to the thunderstar rocket? any ideas of when tests would take place?

Profile WWW
Moon Mission Member
Moon Mission Member
Post    Posted on: Mon May 09, 2005 8:02 pm
They've finished their Churchill Mk3 liquid propellant engine at long last.

http://www.starchaser.co.uk/index.php?v ... all_110505

Hopefully it wont be to long before they start test firings. From what I can see Starchaser are one of the more active teams since the x-prize was won.

Building a new Nova rocket, opening offices in Nevada and now a new engine seems like they mean to launch as soon as they can, maybe as soon as next years x-prize cup.

Profile WWW
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next