Community > Forum > All other competitions > ARCA Status?

ARCA Status?

Posted by: stump - Sun Feb 27, 2005 4:56 am
 [ 15 posts ] 
ARCA Status? 
Spaceflight Trainee
Spaceflight Trainee
Post ARCA Status?   Posted on: Sun Feb 27, 2005 4:56 am
I've been wondering if the Romanian team ARCA has made any progress lately. Their website hasn't been updated since November, and the last item on this site on ARCA is from late October. Last year, they mentioned in their updates that they could not use their test site in the winter since it was frozen (see http://www.arcaspace.ro/en/archive_january_april_2004.htm). Could that be why they haven't had any recent updates? In any case, up until a few months ago they were putting out at least one update a month, and often more, but then, all of a sudden, nothing. Anyone know what's happening?

Stump

Moon Mission Member
Moon Mission Member
Location: Kapellen, Antwerp, Belgium, Europe, Planet Earth, the Milky Way Galaxy
Post    Posted on: Sun Feb 27, 2005 5:03 am
I just sent them an email.

If I get an answer, I'll put it up as a news item.

Profile WWW
Moon Mission Member
Moon Mission Member
Location: Kapellen, Antwerp, Belgium, Europe, Planet Earth, the Milky Way Galaxy
Post    Posted on: Tue Mar 01, 2005 1:46 pm
I received an answer:

Quote:
We regret this situation, but we were extremely busy with the construction of the ORIZONT vehicle in the last four month.

This week we will update our web site.

Sincerely,
Simona Popescu

Profile WWW
Post    Posted on: Tue Mar 01, 2005 2:40 pm
I have been guessing something like that. Sound sgood in my ears. May mean that they achieved a lot.

They are romainan team and Romania is a countrie with huge economical and financial problems - it has concentrated on becoming EU-fit during the last decade.

So it's hard for ARCA to do their job.

Dipl.-Volkswirt (bdvb) Augustin (Political Economist)

Space Walker
Space Walker
Post    Posted on: Wed Jun 22, 2005 6:11 am
Just wondering what there status is at the moment as it is June and from there website they say the official presentation of the Orizont craft will take place in June 2005.

So just seeing if anyone has heard anything or knows something?
Be interesting when they do, do the official presentation!

Iain

Profile WWW
Spaceflight Participant
Spaceflight Participant
Post    Posted on: Fri Jun 24, 2005 9:51 am
There are two new pictures and some text on the website which says that they are in the final stages of construction and that they will soon give more information about the revealing of the vehicle in Bucharest.
The pictures don't reveal much about the vehicle. I have no idea what the thing in the pictures is supposed to be.
I also wonder if they will show their vehicle at the "countdown to the X prize cup".

Spaceflight Participant
Spaceflight Participant
Post    Posted on: Sat Aug 20, 2005 8:43 pm
Arca is going to reveal the Orizont vehicle in Bucharest on august 27:
Quote:
The ORIZONT vehicle will be presented to the public and press in Bucharest, on August 27, 2005 in the Constitution Place, starting with 20:30 (Bucharest). We invite you to participate at this important moment for the X Prize Cup and for the world aerospace activities.

The Orizont symbol looks interesting: their vehicle seems to have developed wings.

Spaceflight Participant
Spaceflight Participant
Post    Posted on: Fri Mar 10, 2006 6:16 pm
Arca has updated their website. They have put up two pictures of completed fuel tanks. They also have a new project, Stabilo ,an airlaunched suborbital rocket that is planned to reach an altitude of 120km.

Moon Mission Member
Moon Mission Member
Post    Posted on: Fri Mar 10, 2006 6:33 pm
It's great to hear more news from them once again, They seem to keep developing and progressing :) I don't see them launching any humans into space the next 3 years, but I think if they keep trying, they may develop a real sub orbital manned spacecraft one day.

Profile WWW
Space Walker
Space Walker
Post    Posted on: Tue May 09, 2006 5:11 am
Update:
Thought about posting this on the news page but its near on acouple of weeks old so will post it here.

They have been doing some tethered flight tests of their balloons that will be a step foward in their Stabilo and Orizont flight programs.
I know the Stabilo is to be air launched, they must also be looking at the ballon option as a posibility for the Orizont craft?.

Check out there website:
http://www.arcaspace.ro/en/home.htm

http://www.arcaspace.ro/en/aditionale/tanks.htm
A bit about their composite tanks.

Iain
----------------------------------
www.kiwi2space.co.nz

Profile WWW
Post    Posted on: Thu Jul 06, 2006 10:41 am
For ARCA alone - leaving aside their partner Canadian Arrow - there might be good chances to get a little push if ESA decides to assist and award space tourism (see the new thread in the European Space Activities section).

What do you think about that?

Dipl.-Volkswirt (bdvb) Augustin (Political Economist)

Spaceflight Participant
Spaceflight Participant
Post    Posted on: Thu Sep 21, 2006 10:41 am
What do people think of the Stabilo sub orbital system as announced?

Balloon lift to 22,000ft, manned test of this by next year. Not sure when they're aiming for the full rocket driven flights to 100,000ft.

But the most interesting part of their design is the top mounted rocket, with crew module on the bottom of the rocket. Certainly ingenious, and they suggest that due to the propellant burning at a low temperature, there'll be no issues with breaches of the hull integrity. Are their reasons solid? I guess it just is not particularly scaleable to move to orbital heights.

Space Walker
Space Walker
Post    Posted on: Mon Sep 25, 2006 9:12 am
Looking at it my opinion it is a very safe, cheap and easy way to achieve a manned sub-orbital flight.
The complexity of the craft is kept to a minium, and having the crew capsule underneth the rest of the craft as they say just helps out majorally with the crew escape system, just drop away leaving the rest behind,how much safer could you make it!?
They have def done their homework I would say with the entire craft.

Stabilo will launch through the centre of the balloon? Did I read this right? sounds interesting.

Their vehicle is of composite construction so water and the hot vapours from the exhaust should really have no effect, except when the water feezes, you don't want it to be in the material when that happens, delamination will occur.Delam will happen more over a period of time I would think. Hot vapours on composites on the other hand I'm not to familiar with, I think they handle it fairly well though, I mean look at the industry these days and where composites are used and how far they have come, the new 787 uses it extensively. I def think they did their homework.....

Iain
---------------------
www.kiwi2space.co.nz

Profile WWW
Space Station Commander
Space Station Commander
Post    Posted on: Fri Oct 06, 2006 9:54 pm
Nice website.

Space Walker
Space Walker
Post    Posted on: Mon Nov 13, 2006 8:51 pm
ARCA to test launch Stabilo before the end of the month
As quoted from their website.

Quote:
November 3, 2006 - BUCHAREST
The first flight of the STABILO's vehicle first stage+reserve crew cabin will take place on November 22, from near Onesti town - Bacau County. Press conference on November 21 in the same location

Should be an interesting month with this and the Starchaser tests.

Iain
--------------------------
www.kiw2space.co.nz

Profile WWW