The Future of STC

Posted by: Senior Von Braun - Fri Jan 28, 2005 11:31 pm
 [ 46 posts ] 
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
The Future of STC 
Space Station Commander
Space Station Commander
Post    Posted on: Thu Feb 10, 2005 1:41 pm
I regret to say that I have to ask for a brief postponement, as I am about to take my vacation.

Ten days of snowboarding in the alps around St Moritz! Woohoo!

DKH

(hey, this is why I moved to Switzerland!)

Space Walker
Space Walker
Post    Posted on: Fri Feb 11, 2005 2:02 am
Cool. 8)

Say hello to naturally-frozen water for me. Gosh, the last time it snowed in Phoenix must have been about six years ago, and it was all gone within three hours. At least we get to see the Sun during the winter, I guess that's the tradeoff.

I decided to shell out over a thousand dollars of my own lifeguard-earned money to spend ten days in England and Scotland this summer. I'll be the first person in my family to return to Europe in about three or four generations; it's pretty pathetic how little we travel. The first thing I'm doing after I get off that shiny 777 at Heathrow is buying a deep-fried Mars Bar, does anyone here reccomend them one way or the other? It's one of those things you just have to try once before dying...

When you return I'll be right here waiting for that next round. :)

Profile WWW
Space Station Member
Space Station Member
Post    Posted on: Fri Feb 11, 2005 4:38 am
Deep fried Mars Bar? That sounds ridiculously like a heart attack :P

It hasn't snowed in Phoenix in 6 years huh? Hasnt snowed in Miami in a little over 25 years, we win ;)

UCF-LM CWEP Intern
Lockheed Martin Orlando
Missiles & Fire Control

Profile YIM WWW
Moon Mission Member
Moon Mission Member
Post    Posted on: Fri Feb 11, 2005 9:02 am
I've tried one and there're pretty disgusting, though some people like them I guess its a question of taste. Dont eat to many or they will have to winch in to the 747's hold to get you back to the US as they're not for dieters. :)

Make sure you go to a fish and chip shop that doesnt use the same oil to cook its fish in.

Profile WWW
Spaceflight Participant
Spaceflight Participant
Post    Posted on: Fri Feb 11, 2005 10:13 am
Just as a tip, you're much more likely to find deep fried Mars Bars north of the border (i.e. in Scotland) than south, so you may have to wait till you get up to Edinburgh or Glasgow or whereever you're heading up there. Also deep fried pizza is another Scottish speciality from the chippies... :-)

Location: Alexander, North Carolina, Planet Earth, the Milky Way Galaxy
Post    Posted on: Fri Feb 11, 2005 2:22 pm
TRUE decadence consists of deep fried Twinkies!!!!!

They seem to have become a staple of Southern fairs in the last two years. You gain weight just walking by the booth they are purveyed from.

Yummmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm! 8)

--Ralph

http://1vid.com

Profile WWW
Post    Posted on: Fri Feb 11, 2005 11:29 pm
You can get deep fried moro/mars bars in New Zealand pretty reguarly also. Excellent if you are into hot chocalatey gooey caramel stickyness. Got to eat it hot though, if it cools down you will feel its passage...

I just have to pop down to the fish&chippery to get a few now. See, you gone and made me hungry.

Profile ICQ YIM
Space Walker
Space Walker
Post    Posted on: Sat Feb 12, 2005 4:57 am
Some notes:

Cathleen: Crud. I guess that makes sense though, I can't imagine Florida getting very much snow ever. The only reason why we have snow annually in Arizona is because practically all of it falls in the northern half of the state, that is to say 7,000 feet above sea level or higher. The highest point in Florida is what, about 500 feet asl? It's a nice tropical getaway as long as the seas stay low, but I wouldn't want to be there without nice thick icecaps on both poles.

Andy: I usually don't care much for greasy, oily foods, but with a Mars Bar I mihgt make an exception. Plus, I've heard many people reccomend them at New Mars, so I figure it'll something good to try once. I'm 15 and I weigh about 120 pounds, what's the worst that could happen from a single deep fired Mars Bar? I'll definately make sure to take in some of the fish n' chips scene while I'm there.

Dolby: We'll end the trip by spending our last two days in Glasgow, so if all else fails I'll at least be able to get one there. Deep fried pizza? Eeeeeeewwww! :P

For some reason a deep fried twinkie just doesn't have any appeal to me. Not true of fish n' chips and deep fried Mars Bars, though. We're getting way off topic here, folks. I was already planning on starting a new thread specifically about solid rocket engines but now it looks like we'll need one on the Commonwealth's deep-fried foodstuffs scene. Any volunteers to start it up? :D

Profile WWW
Space Station Member
Space Station Member
Post    Posted on: Sun Feb 13, 2005 11:35 pm
Agreed. Back to STC for this thread please! :) Fell free to start the Commonwealth food thread in the Space Cafe... what else are cafes for? ;)

UCF-LM CWEP Intern
Lockheed Martin Orlando
Missiles & Fire Control

Profile YIM WWW
Space Walker
Space Walker
Post    Posted on: Wed Feb 16, 2005 5:12 am
As you wish :) :
http://xprizenews.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1069

Continue all future discussion of deep-fried foodstuffs in the above thread.

Profile WWW
Space Station Commander
Space Station Commander
Post    Posted on: Mon Feb 21, 2005 5:34 pm
Senior Von Braun wrote:
STC never had much of a shot at putting Rubicon into space, the solid rocket inconveniances were just a small part of their plight.

Ok, so I'm back from my vacation and have re-read this thread (most of it anyway, time's short) and now I think that the above quote from SVB satisfies me enough.

So I guess we can agree that the "fundamental problem" for STC was not the hardware after all, it was something else that made up the greater "part of their plight".

DKH

(Trip report summary: St Moritz is stuffed to the gills with very old women wearing ratty looking fur coats. People who ski in St Moritz spend thousands on their appearance and nothing on sun-protection - I saw a lot of lizard-skins creaking down the slopes, I really shouldn't be upset about it though because it's these dumb rich folks who are furnishing most of our funding at the clinic - melanoma is a disease of the wealthy in Switzerland.)

Moon Mission Member
Moon Mission Member
Post    Posted on: Thu Feb 24, 2005 3:27 pm
Seems like STC are looking for a new home. Anyone know somewhere with wealthy neighbours willing to invest a few dollars in space.

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/l ... et24m.html

I hope they give it another shot somewhere, at least they dont appear to have become bankrupt. Selling most of their tools makes sense as freight and storage costs would be probably more than acquiring tools in a new location, especially since they dont know how long a break this will be.

Profile WWW
Space Walker
Space Walker
Post    Posted on: Fri Feb 25, 2005 2:06 am
Here's where I put the friendly anecdote in to lead off my deadly seroius (yeah right) reply.

Oridnarily the forum at New Mars is one of the most civilized, orderly, and intelligent places on which to discuss pretty much anything space-related. Lately however there has been some highly ardent debate on the issue of servicing Hubble, and it's unfortunately brought out the worst in people. One member, who shall remain anonymous, has taken it upon himself to personally insult every single person who has supported seding either the shuttle or a robot to service the Hubble Space Telescope. Fortunately he was able to inform me that I am a dishonest quixotic anti-progress idiot because I do not agree with him. Turns out he can back this up scientifically, too (once again, yeah right). I suppose the point here is that our little discussion on solid rockets looks positively mild compared to how some other discussions have panned out.

You can't really sum up all of STC's problems into one neat little package. For that matter, I don't think STC has very many problems beyond the average for the nascent commercial manned spaceflight industry, but that's quite a lot. What they are trying to do is fundamentally an extremely difficult proposition, and they are attempting to tackle the problem with little manpower and what seems to be a pittance of funds. From their entry to the X Prize I was always skeptical of STC's ability to obtain the requisite funds for Rubicon. That said, what they have accopmlished so far is extremely impressive, and puts them above 90% of the field at least in credibility, but it's still not enough to convince me that they are going to be able to accomplish their ultimate goals, whatever those turn out to be. The technical issues were just the icing on the cake, so to speak, the last component of the equation that made me doubtful of STC's capabilties.

If there's enough popular demand, I can go start a propulsion systems thread in the science and technology forum to continue the solid rocket debate.

Profile WWW
Launch Director
Launch Director
Post The future of STC   Posted on: Wed Jan 09, 2008 10:39 pm
Well, I thought you might like to know that STC has no future, since it was dissolved as a company. As it happens, I had invested $25000 in it, and all of that disappeared, but, hey, that's investment in the space business. I did have the satisfaction of having made the construction of Rubicon 2 possible. It's a pity that it never flew. It's still sitting in a shed in Forks, Washington State, so Phil Storm told me. On the subject of safety, my feeling is that all kinds of rocket motors can blow themselves to pieces, and that includes the hybrid motors being used on Spaceship 2. However, like Senior Von Braun, my preference is for the liquid sort, that can be controlled. Also, I get the feeling that one gets a smoother ride with liquid fuelled motors than with solids. Shuttle astronauts talk about the enormous vibration of the launch that goes away, once the SRBs have been jettisoned. The STC rocket did have one thing going for it - supreme cost-effectiveness. BTW, the landing was to be at sea, via a parachute in the nose-cone. STC would have a boat standing by to pick up the rocket soon after landing.

Profile WWW
Space Walker
Space Walker
Post    Posted on: Thu Jan 17, 2008 9:30 pm
Just out of curiosity g3wzr, you don't happen to know what Eric and Phil are up to these days?? Or if you still keep in contact with them?

Iain

Profile WWW