Scaled Composites

Posted by: Captain_John_Black - Fri Aug 08, 2003 5:59 am
 [ 50 posts ] 
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Scaled Composites 
Spaceflight Trainee
Spaceflight Trainee
Post    Posted on: Sat Dec 20, 2003 12:16 am
And don't rule out the possibility that once the X-prize is claimed, there's a good possibility that, in the wake of the publicity, another prize may be launched, perhaps for an orbital or intercontinental suborbital flight. Then all the teams get another chance, and the Hare & Tortoise effect may set in.[/quote]

Space Station Commander
Space Station Commander
Post    Posted on: Sat Dec 20, 2003 12:27 am
Garnetstar wrote:
And don't rule out the possibility that once the X-prize is claimed, there's a good possibility that, in the wake of the publicity, another prize may be launched, perhaps for an orbital or intercontinental suborbital flight. Then all the teams get another chance, and the Hare & Tortoise effect may set in.

i doubt the hare & tortise effect can really have any application here, but yea they will get the opportunity to either start a new design or to improve on the old one.

Spaceflight Enthusiast
Spaceflight Enthusiast
Post    Posted on: Fri Dec 26, 2003 3:19 am
I've never been a big supporter of Rutan.

Personally, I feel tha there should have been a rule limiting the amount of money spent on the X Prize.

Let's not forget that the purpose of the "small" prize was to keep big companies such as Lockheed Martin, Boeing and Grumman out of the competition.

I don't think that it's fair that an established aviation corporation such as Scaled can spend a fortune on SSO while others haven't even found the funding to begin.

I believe that the limit should have been the prize, $10 dollars.

Look at Rutan's craft and tell me that he isn't better off financially than most other contenders.

Not only that, but his company has a vast knowledge of dealing with experimental planes and designs. This gives him an unfair advantage over almost all other teams.

Moon Mission Member
Moon Mission Member
Location: Kapellen, Antwerp, Belgium, Europe, Planet Earth, the Milky Way Galaxy
Post    Posted on: Fri Dec 26, 2003 4:14 am
Quote:
Personally, I feel tha there should have been a rule limiting the amount of money spent on the X Prize.

X-Prize is made to convince people to make space vehicles, to let investors put more and more money into the industry, limiting the money would be killing the idea.

Quote:
Let's not forget that the purpose of the "small" prize was to keep big companies such as Lockheed Martin, Boeing and Grumman out of the competition.

Isn't it to get cheap acces to space ? if the vehicle costs 10 000 000 000 00..... and it can offer 1$ tickets a person to space, it would be welcome ;)

Quote:
I don't think that it's fair that an established aviation corporation such as Scaled can spend a fortune on SSO while others haven't even found the funding to begin.

Indeed, what are you going to do about it ? wait till the poorest man can make space vehicles ? sorry but on this way we'll NEVER see any space vehicle.

Quote:
believe that the limit should have been the prize, $10 dollars.

10$ ? I hope you wanted to write "10 000 000" but still, It isn't about more or less money, more or less resources, it's about encouraging people do DO something, to get more investors backing it.

Profile WWW
Spaceflight Enthusiast
Spaceflight Enthusiast
Post    Posted on: Fri Dec 26, 2003 4:38 am
And if somebody has a really good idea but can't compete because a bad idea is being pushed through with money? Not that Rutan's idea is a bad one, but, well, if you have a good rose, do you kill off all the other potential ones on the rosebush?

Whether or not the competition is trying to get washing machines to fly, letting the person who says "stand under it and push it" is defeating the purpose.

I don't want to wait until everyone can build a spaceship, but in a COMPETITION, nobody should be allowed to get such an unfair lead. $40 million... Against 5? I wonder who's going to win?

Yes, Sigur, I menat $10 million. Sorry for any confusion that you might have had to endure.

Post    Posted on: Fri Dec 26, 2003 4:58 pm
Nothing in life is fair :!: I suspect that it is Rutan's commitment to creative design and safety that has attracted his funding.

All real progress is driven by competition and learning to overcome failures and never, ever quitting. Even when unfair events occur. Thomas Edison had more failures than anyone, that's why he successfully invented so much.

The real success of the XPRIZE is that with an investment of $10 million, it has attracted individuals with wealth in the Billions and Billions of Dollars. Sorry, Carl Sagan got to me again. :lol:

Do you think that getting funding thru Congress would be easier? Developing an industry, which tells producers what the real need is, is the most efficient way to select the winners. If you have good ideas, then stay positive and don't give up. And remember:

When someone says no, it really means not yet.

Rocket Constructor
Rocket Constructor
Post    Posted on: Tue Apr 06, 2004 8:57 am
I dunno for sure Scaled will win... Rutan himself has stated several times he is 'just' in it to show the world it can be done privately. He hates 'NAySAy' (his words, NASA...) for being too expensive, reactionary in his views...

He also stated several times he is *not* interested to develop SS1 for commercial operation, because he can't be bothered with the paperwork...
Of course, Paul Allen might have another opinion, come to think of it... Maybe Allen has a mayority share/vote in the project?

Another point: he's a 'plane-guy' instead of a 'rocket-guy', I guess it's a bit of a matter of pride, too: showing you don't have to use a 100% rocket-design to reach the X-Prize conditions...

Sometimes it looks to me they're slowing their pace intentionally, to make sure other contenders don't get too disheartened... Like spending time on his new project, the around-the-world-solo-flight plane...
X-Prize might be 'just another' engineering challenge for him, and maybe he doesn't pain so much to win, but is in it only to show he's able to come up with an extremely nice plane...

He does not *have* to win, financially, his business is not dependant on an X-Prize operation, he's got gazillion other contracts/projects going...

Post    Posted on: Thu Apr 08, 2004 12:53 am
Launch License...

http://space.com/news/faa_spaceshipone_040407.html

Profile WWW
Spaceflight Enthusiast
Spaceflight Enthusiast
Post    Posted on: Thu Apr 08, 2004 7:06 am
I guess that's what they have ben waiting for. Repeating the 17 Dec flight wouldnt do much good. They could do that flight for maximum publicity without thermal protection (Mach 1.2), but for the real flight to Mach 3 and 100km, they need the thermal protection and the launch license. Apparently the launch license grants them longer than 15 sec burn times of the rocket engine.

Flight 13P could be very close now.

Location: Alexander, North Carolina, Planet Earth, the Milky Way Galaxy
Post Moving right along   Posted on: Thu Apr 08, 2004 5:31 pm
Today's flight with its 40-second engine burn and Mach 2 speed is a good move up from the Dec. 17 flight. :P

--Ralph

http://1vid.com

Profile WWW
Space Station Commander
Space Station Commander
Post Re: Moving right along   Posted on: Thu Apr 08, 2004 5:55 pm
author wrote:
Today's flight with its 40-second engine burn and Mach 2 speed is a good move up from the Dec. 17 flight. :P

--Ralph

and where did you see this?

EDIT: confirmed via x-prize newsletter.

Software Developer

Also, check out my fractals

Spaceflight Trainee
Spaceflight Trainee
Post wonderful   Posted on: Thu Apr 08, 2004 6:22 pm
I'm ready for some pictures and details, which I can't find yet.

Moon Mission Member
Moon Mission Member
Location: Kapellen, Antwerp, Belgium, Europe, Planet Earth, the Milky Way Galaxy
Post Re: wonderful   Posted on: Thu Apr 08, 2004 6:32 pm
Lepton wrote:
I'm ready for some pictures and details, which I can't find yet.

Quote:
SECOND SUCCESSFUL ROCKET-POWERED FLIGHT FOR AMERICAN SPACESHIPONE TEAM:

Hot on the heels of receiving it's FAA licence, the American SpaceShipOne team had a perfect rocket-powered flight today, April 8, reaching an altitude of 105,000 ft.

Behind the controls of SpaceShipOne's second successful powered flight was pilot and future astronaut, Peter Siebold.

The engine burned for 40 seconds and reached a speed of approximately Mach 2, making it the first privately built space vehicle to accomplish this feat.

"105,000 feet down, 223,000 feet to go!" exclaimed an excited onlooker, as he watched the ship fly overhead

That's all I know.. but scaled their site will be updated soon :) cain't wait to see pictures

Profile WWW
Space Walker
Space Walker
Post    Posted on: Sat Apr 10, 2004 4:36 pm
lots of details on Rutan's flight in this article:
Rutan group rockets toward X-Prize: SpaceShipOne's flawless test has team closer to $10 million Antelope Valley Press - Apr.9.04
click here
(from RLV news)

Post    Posted on: Sat Apr 10, 2004 8:15 pm
If it makes and attracts money, then its a good idea. If it doesn't then its not. If it doesn't have a skilled entreprenuer pushing it with a lot of money then self-evidently its not a good idea.

Capitilisim is a harsh and wierd judge of quality and nearly always at odds with what is good engineering.

Profile ICQ YIM