Community > Forum > Historical Ansari X Prize > X PRIZE board game

X PRIZE board game

Posted by: The Legionnaire - Mon Dec 22, 2003 5:04 pm
 [ 13 posts ] 
X PRIZE board game 
Space Walker
Space Walker
Post X PRIZE board game   Posted on: Mon Dec 22, 2003 5:04 pm
With all the talk about some sort of X PRIZE-related computer game, I was starting to think about whether we could use a small X PRIZE board game.

I was thinking about several possible ideas:
1. A trivia game in which the players have to answer X PRIZE-related questions to advance along the track.
2. A business game similar to what Irving has been describing, where you compete with others to form a spaceflight business.

Any ideas? I was thinking of tinkering with this over winter break, maybe.

Space Station Commander
Space Station Commander
Post    Posted on: Mon Dec 22, 2003 5:12 pm
xprize monopoly, definitely, lol. you can have all the teams on the board, and some of them can have several spaces. for example, scaled would be the boardwalk and park place (or whatever that one is) and you have to buy the White Knight and SpaceShipOne to get the monopoly, :lol:.

Software Developer

Also, check out my fractals

Moon Mission Member
Moon Mission Member
Location: Kapellen, Antwerp, Belgium, Europe, Planet Earth, the Milky Way Galaxy
Post    Posted on: Mon Dec 22, 2003 5:26 pm
A board game sounds very fun, especially because you can compete with people sitting close to you..

But It's more hard to make/mannage I guess.. cause it's a real object.

Profile WWW
Space Walker
Space Walker
Post ?   Posted on: Mon Dec 22, 2003 6:39 pm
Sigurd wrote:

What exactly did you mean by this? That a board game is harder to make because...?

Moon Mission Member
Moon Mission Member
Location: Kapellen, Antwerp, Belgium, Europe, Planet Earth, the Milky Way Galaxy
Post Re: ?   Posted on: Mon Dec 22, 2003 6:46 pm
The Legionnaire wrote:
Sigurd wrote:

What exactly did you mean by this? That a board game is harder to make because...?

Well, what I understood out of your text is, that you where talking about a game to play with family etc and not computer software.

So making such things need more then just an online mannagement, but also companies to create it and sell it.

Profile WWW
Space Walker
Space Walker
Post    Posted on: Mon Dec 22, 2003 7:02 pm
Sigurd wrote:
also companies to create it and sell it.

I'm not talking about the professional board games you see at stores, but just a free game I can e-mail out for people to print out and play.

In fact, now that I think about it, I'm envisioning an X PRIZE CUP type game. Each player must build his rocketship by making certain tradeoffs (wings vs parachutes for landing, for instance), and then fly it in an X PRIZE CUP to gain the first place trophy.

The one roadblock I see at the moment is while the spaceship creation would be fun, how would the actual flyoff be interesting. After all, all you'd be doing is rolling dice to see what happens, and not really making decisions. I was thinking adding some twists, like different pilots and saboteurs...

Spaceflight Trainee
Spaceflight Trainee
Post    Posted on: Mon Dec 22, 2003 7:42 pm
A board game is a good and simple idea.

An alternative to the "print out version" of the game, a "computer based" board game could be made very simple. All we actually would need is a board design and some rules.

Making the questions for the game would be eazy. Its just a matter of searching the net for information and then formulating questions.

Profile ICQ
Moon Mission Member
Moon Mission Member
Post    Posted on: Mon Dec 22, 2003 8:06 pm
Quote:
but just a free game I can e-mail out for people to print out and play.

How more people how more ideas, just proven again for myself :) yeah wasn't thinking about such board games, just print it :)

maybe a print version and a 3D version to play against A.I. (artificial inteligence) computer player. would be great.

We can maybe combine the software project with this project.
Cause we may not make the software version too complex, else it will ask too much time and years of development.

So maybe a project that has the features developable for both, paper to print, to play with family, or alone on the computer (or over the internet).

Profile WWW
Space Station Commander
Space Station Commander
Post    Posted on: Mon Dec 22, 2003 8:53 pm
with a board game, of course, there is the option for marketing that's not available for a small computer thing. theoretically if it is good enough the x-prize organization could sell it to raise money, so there's another possibility if we actually go through with this.

Software Developer

Spaceflight Trainee
Spaceflight Trainee
Post    Posted on: Wed Dec 24, 2003 2:39 am
Quote:
In fact, now that I think about it, I'm envisioning an X PRIZE CUP type game. Each player must build his rocketship by making certain tradeoffs (wings vs parachutes for landing, for instance), and then fly it in an X PRIZE CUP to gain the first place trophy.

The one roadblock I see at the moment is while the spaceship creation would be fun, how would the actual flyoff be interesting. After all, all you'd be doing is rolling dice to see what happens, and not really making decisions. I was thinking adding some twists, like different pilots and saboteurs...

Another possibility: the players design their spaceships with given characteristics, then the flying is accomplished by running each design in a simulation program that can give a reasonably good estimate of its performance, or lack of the same. There are loads of simulation programs available, and I suspect that half of the posters on this board could write one.

Spaceflight Trainee
Spaceflight Trainee
Post    Posted on: Wed Dec 24, 2003 7:12 pm
I also think that this is a great Idea...to make a board game...but what I also think (and this also goes for any computer game) is that unless it's "fun" aspect is greater then it's "realistic" aspect, nobody with a head on their shoulders (expempting a few) will honestly want to play it. When I say fun, I am reffering to interesting things (like paying off sabatours or purchasing parts off the black market) that probably would not happen in realy life. (or would they?)

Profile YIM
Space Station Commander
Space Station Commander
Post    Posted on: Wed Dec 24, 2003 9:19 pm
Eivhen wrote:
When I say fun, I am reffering to interesting things (like paying off sabatours or purchasing parts off the black market) that probably would not happen in realy life. (or would they?)

YES, MUAHAHAHAHA :twisted:. *whispers diabolical plan in aide's ear*

Software Developer

Space Walker
Space Walker
Post    Posted on: Thu Dec 25, 2003 3:02 am
Hi everyone,

After a few days of work, I managed to create a X PRIZE card game! To learn more, check out the new topic I set up. Try it out; send me suggestions!