Community > Forum > General Support > 500 000+ Database Records!

500 000+ Database Records!

Posted by: Sigurd - Wed Jan 26, 2005 1:52 am
 [ 14 posts ] 
500 000+ Database Records! 
Moon Mission Member
Moon Mission Member
Location: Kapellen, Antwerp, Belgium, Europe, Planet Earth, the Milky Way Galaxy
Post 500 000+ Database Records!   Posted on: Wed Jan 26, 2005 1:52 am
I guess not many people may actually have an idea about how many "database" records this website has stored.

The current number is more than half a million, to be exactly: 508858!

This includes, the Forum, The large news database, Teams, Links, Events, Glossary etc etc.

Currently we're at 22.1% of our database capacity.
So our current limitation is: +- 2 300 000 Items in the database.
With other words, with current accelerating rate of forum posts, more news etc , we'll have about 3 years time before any trouble ;)

And of course, by then more technology will be available to give us more database storage for an acceptable price.

Profile WWW
Post    Posted on: Wed Jan 26, 2005 4:17 am
Thats suprisingly impressive. I would have guessed this site was smaller than that, but then I haven't been paying attention lately...

What hardware is this site served up on anyway?

Profile ICQ YIM
Moon Mission Member
Moon Mission Member
Location: Kapellen, Antwerp, Belgium, Europe, Planet Earth, the Milky Way Galaxy
Post    Posted on: Wed Jan 26, 2005 5:21 am
idiom wrote:
Thats suprisingly impressive. I would have guessed this site was smaller than that, but then I haven't been paying attention lately...

What hardware is this site served up on anyway?

We're using virtual hosting, so not a specific server.
The server is not our concern, but for the hosting company :)

We have 50 GByte transfere / month
Also 2 GByte Storage
2 Domain names xprizenews.org and xprizenews.com
500 E Mail accounts with each again 1 GByte storage

Not "amazing" much, but good anough :)

Profile WWW
Post    Posted on: Wed Jan 26, 2005 10:27 am
What about making a book out of selected topics, threads and posts? The book perhaps could provide more money for the XPRIZE Foundation and/or to pay for the licences required to provide this message board.

Perhaps one of the participants of the discussions here is interested in writing the book.

What about that?

Dipl.-Volkswirt (bdvb) Augustin (Political Economist)

Space Station Commander
Space Station Commander
Post    Posted on: Wed Jan 26, 2005 11:57 am
Ekkehard Augustin wrote:
Perhaps one of the participants of the discussions here is interested in writing the book.

And when the movie comes out I want my part to be played by Charlie Sheen.

DKH

Spaceflight Trainee
Spaceflight Trainee
Post    Posted on: Wed Jan 26, 2005 5:56 pm
It is nice to know the status of the site and its size limitations.
("A mans got to know his limitations" - Dirty Harry :x ) :D
Unlike:
Months ago the Forum on Space.com, after a long history of posts, just upend crashed one day :roll: . Wiping out all previous posts on the site.
Well at least the folks at Space.com don't have to worry anymore about running out of space for a while.[/i]

Moon Mission Member
Moon Mission Member
Post    Posted on: Thu Jan 27, 2005 2:23 am
Ekkehard Augustin wrote:
What about making a book out of selected topics, threads and posts? The book perhaps could provide more money for the XPRIZE Foundation and/or to pay for the licences required to provide this message board.

What about that?

Very nice idea :) (anyone ? feel free to contact me, to discuss the rights for publishing a book about the topics on this forum :)) ( all users (active in the topics) would also have to be contacted one by one)

Dr_Keith_H wrote:
Ekkehard Augustin wrote:

DKH

I think you're too unique... maybe you should already start to learn acting ;)
But don't worry... IF there comes a movie (I don't think there will be lol), you'll be remove of it... else it would be 18+ movie lol

Number2 wrote:
It is nice to know the status of the site and its size limitations.
("A mans got to know his limitations" - Dirty Harry :x ) :D
Unlike:
Months ago the Forum on Space.com, after a long history of posts, just upend crashed one day :roll: . Wiping out all previous posts on the site.
Well at least the folks at Space.com don't have to worry anymore about running out of space for a while.[/i]

We're backuping our site often, including database etc.. so almost nothing can just let dissapear it all :)

Profile WWW
Post    Posted on: Thu Jan 27, 2005 1:02 pm
Do we have to be asked really by the author of such a book I proposed? Wouldn't it be sufficient that the author acts according to the general rules of quoting?

All our posts are public here. They are our private property rights on our own intellectual products but we have given these products to the general public here and so we explicitly have removed our right to get money for our intellectual products.

Is there anyone who knows the jurisprudential situation? (Besides - I'm missing Texan at the board).

Last edited by Ekkehard Augustin on Mon Jan 31, 2005 10:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

Moon Mission Member
Moon Mission Member
Post    Posted on: Thu Jan 27, 2005 4:28 pm
I just read our forum "Registration Agreement Terms", everyone agreed with it before registrating, and it will not be a problem to "copy" any posts.

Also this info is all public, a book is as public as now AND admins/moderators have the "rights" to EDIT any posts, so also for creating the book.

Profile WWW
Spaceflight Trainee
Spaceflight Trainee
Post    Posted on: Thu Jan 27, 2005 6:03 pm
Keith...

For the record, I'd like to be portrayed by Steven Buscemi...LOL!!!

Space Station Commander
Space Station Commander
Post    Posted on: Mon Jan 31, 2005 10:08 am
Sigurd wrote:
Dr_Keith_H wrote:
Ekkehard Augustin wrote:

I think you're too unique... maybe you should already start to learn acting ;)
But don't worry... IF there comes a movie (I don't think there will be lol), you'll be remove of it... else it would be 18+ movie lol

So you really would aim the story at pizza-faced soda-jerk mammas-boys? I thought you wanted to make some cash!

DKH

P.S. Hey harb, have Buscemi and Sheen ever done a movie together? I think not. There is probably a good reason for that though. Sheen isn't really an actor.

P.P.S. I think Pamela Anderson should have a role too. An important one, she could play one of the moderators. But which one?

Space Station Member
Space Station Member
Post    Posted on: Mon Jan 31, 2005 11:17 am
LOL I don't know if I like where this is going :P

UCF-LM CWEP Intern
Lockheed Martin Orlando
Missiles & Fire Control

Profile YIM WWW
Post    Posted on: Tue Feb 01, 2005 9:24 am
I have some thoughts concerning the idea of abook posted by me earlier in this thread.

I have two books about space missions here at home. One is a book about history of spaceflight written by a fromer german TV commentator of the Apollo missions. This book ends with a chapter about the missions of the Space Shuttle in 1981.

The second book is the book eritten by Ulrich Walter that I already often have been quoting.

The first of these books doesn't include any visions, ideas etc. - the second doesn't involve thoughts about private spaceflight or private creativity.

There is a third book describing the technology of Star Trek which I read a few years ago to get informations about the ideas Gene Roddenberry and his team have had.

The book I proposed earlier would fill the empty gap in all this and could cause the visions and ideas discussed at this message board to have good impacts on technology, evolution etc. of private spaceflights and vehicles.

Another view is that there are books about the worlds of scientific spaceflights, commercial spaceflights, Stare Trek and Scifi in general - here too an empty gap seems to be filled - the world of private spacflight including all ideas, vissions, creativity and phantasy.

The book could be of very good advantage for spacflight - and this use would be provided by the XPRIZE Foundation and all the participants of this message board.

Space Station Commander
Space Station Commander
Post Da movie   Posted on: Fri Feb 11, 2005 11:57 pm
When the movie comes out, I want to be played by Jim Carrey.
:lol:

Profile WWW