Community > Forum > The Spaceflight Cafe > What will the shuttle carry on its next flight?

What will the shuttle carry on its next flight?

Posted by: Andy Hill - Sun Jan 09, 2005 7:40 pm
 [ 3 posts ] 
What will the shuttle carry on its next flight? 
Moon Mission Member
Moon Mission Member
Post What will the shuttle carry on its next flight?   Posted on: Sun Jan 09, 2005 7:40 pm
I've been wondering if the shuttle will take any parts of the ISS into orbit when it returns to flight in May. From what I've read it appears to be a test flight only and aside from taking astonauts and supplies up to the ISS the cargo bay will be empty.

If that is the case it would seem a waisted opportunity, if it is going anyway why not take some of the waiting components up so the ISS can be expanded? This would mean one less flight before it could be retired.

If possible something like ESA's columbus lab should be taken so that the station's internal volume would be increased making the working environment not so cramped.

Profile WWW
Spaceflight Trainee
Spaceflight Trainee
Post    Posted on: Wed Jan 12, 2005 6:02 pm
I would rather say, "if it return to space in may". Lot of things, weather is one, must be right to launch again.

Moon Mission Member
Moon Mission Member
Post    Posted on: Wed Jan 12, 2005 6:53 pm
Alessandro wrote:
I would rather say, "if it return to space in may". Lot of things, weather is one, must be right to launch again.

You not wrong there if the past delays are anything to go by. Also I have noticed that a lot of articles around have started saying a May/June first launch, I dont know whether this indicates another launch date slip or its just reports expecting there to be one.

Anyway the point is not so much when but what it will taking up with it, has anyone any idea?

Profile WWW