Community > Forum > Perception, Barriers & Regulation of Privatized Space Travel > Rocketplane and the Oklahoma Tax Break

Rocketplane and the Oklahoma Tax Break

Posted by: Senior Von Braun - Sun Dec 26, 2004 1:44 am
 [ 20 posts ] 
Rocketplane and the Oklahoma Tax Break 
Moon Mission Member
Moon Mission Member
Post    Posted on: Fri Dec 16, 2005 3:08 am
So sad, yet so pathetically true.

In Memoriam...
Apollo I - Soyuz I - Soyuz XI - STS-51L - STS-107

Space Walker
Space Walker
Post    Posted on: Fri Dec 16, 2005 3:12 am
What Rocket Plane got was a sellable tax credit. They sold it, turning it into real cash the same day they got it.

Profile WWW
Spaceflight Trainee
Spaceflight Trainee
Post    Posted on: Sat Dec 17, 2005 4:34 am
They also have brought in over 30 employees from out of state, and have gone to great lengths to keep their money in OK to favor the tax payers. They have good intentions on trying to insure the success of this new startup industry.

Space Station Commander
Space Station Commander
Post    Posted on: Wed Dec 21, 2005 7:12 pm
SawSS1Jun21 wrote:
Hmm. The irony of any such hypothetical conversation is that the Medicare budget alone in 2004 was nearly TWENTY (20) TIMES the size of NASA's. If you count in Social Security and Medicaid and other related programs, our great and benevolent nation has this year spent over one trillion dollars on those citizens in their golden years and/or otherwise needing medical and substantive income assistance.

http://www.cbo.gov/showdoc.cfm?index=1821&sequence=0 (see table 9)

Compare that to the ~$15 billion spent on NASA and then decide for yourself whether anyone complaining about NASA's budget is sufficiently informed to be actually debating the topic. Had the good doctor in Pete's morality play been accompanied by a thousand of his closest associates, they would have been no more able to convince the antagonists in this story than he by himself was.

And no smoker who gets his medication on our dime has ever launched a weather satellite on any launch vehicle--large or small.

That didn't keep Barney Frank from behaving like a jerk on CSPAN. But Boehlert and other drowned him out. It seems space is a bit more popular in the Beltway these days.

campbelp2002 wrote:
If I were one of those people in line and you replied this way, I would take it as meaning, "please die so that I can take the money now keeping you alive and use it for heavy lift."

Proxmire certainly did... :twisted:
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/co ... 00604.html

Space Station Member
Space Station Member
Post    Posted on: Tue Dec 27, 2005 12:11 am
Bear in mind that tax credits can under, some circumstances, be sold, traded, bartered, etc. Possibly with taxable suppliers whose services they need. On the other hand, they had to prove a comparable level of existing investment or value to get this “giftâ€

Profile WWW