Community > Forum > Perception, Barriers & Regulation of Privatized Space Travel > Investing in space

Investing in space

Posted by: TerraMrs - Mon Jun 14, 2004 3:21 am
 [ 16 posts ] 
Investing in space 
Spaceflight Trainee
Spaceflight Trainee
Post Re: Investing in space   Posted on: Tue Mar 06, 2007 7:21 pm
TerraMrs wrote:
i've been doing research on companies to start investing in, specifically spacedev, seeing as they will probably jump a good bit after a successful June 21 flight. anyone else going to do that, and does anyone know of any other space companies that offer stock? i don't think any of the x-prize teams are corporations, but i may be wrong. i don't have as much money to invest as i'd like by any stretch, but since the spacedev stock is low priced, it could potentially increase by over 100% due to the massive publicity for SS1, and i'm sure any other company would be low priced too, spreading a small amount of money over the industry seems like it could mean huge money once it's established.

You should spread out your investments among the companies, but don't put ALL of your savings into one industry.

If you are young, and I would assume anyone in the "class of 2010" is, get a self directed Roth IRA and contribute what you can. "self directed" means you pick the investments, Roth is a type of Individual Retirement Account that grows 100% tax free and has tax-free withdrawals when you retire.
You can currently contribute a maximum of $4000 per year to such an account.
Technical tip:
Add cash monthly, buy yearly. Best to set up automatic withdrawals from your checking account. If you trade once per month, you pay transaction fees once per month. Best to do research though the year, then invest all at once, and minimize fees.