Community > Forum > Perception, Barriers & Regulation of Privatized Space Travel > Kids and Space

Kids and Space

Posted by: rocktchick87 - Wed Oct 06, 2004 2:19 am
 [ 3 posts ] 
Kids and Space 
Space Station Member
Space Station Member
Post Kids and Space   Posted on: Wed Oct 06, 2004 2:19 am
I don't how many of you saw the article that I wrote last week, in case you didn't here's the link:

http://www.xprizenews.org/index.php?p=545

Anyway, tonight I went back out to Chapel Trail Elementary to help out with a Stargazing Night they were having there as part of World Space Week. It was great, we set up a few telescopes, the kids presented some info reports and some poems that they've done in class, we had little "Star Crunch" snacks :P, and the kids got to look through the telescopes and the binoculars at not much of anything (too many streetlights and the city glow here is ridiculous because its a Miami suburb... not to mention they don't get the concept of not touching while they look, so i had to constantly refocus it on the only star bright enough to see with all the lights)

It really was a great thing to be a part of, the kids were so excited to be there and to look through the telescope and see the stars. A lot of them look up to me because of my involvement with the X Prize news site, theyve been learning a lot about it lately in class and they watched the live webcasts wednesday and yesterday.

Anyway, no real point, just thought I'd share that the interest in space is being passed on to a new generation with the winning of the X Prize :D

UCF-LM CWEP Intern
Lockheed Martin Orlando
Missiles & Fire Control

Profile YIM WWW
Spaceflight Trainee
Spaceflight Trainee
Post    Posted on: Wed Oct 06, 2004 5:18 am
*sigh* it just makes me happy that you yourself are interested in space, eraurocktchick87, given that you are somewhere near a decade younger than I. I thought that my generation would be the last ones to care about space, but it looks like it keeps going.

Profile WWW
Space Station Commander
Space Station Commander
Post    Posted on: Wed Oct 06, 2004 9:48 pm
that's nice..... if only our school system was more open with fewer annoying people...... it really sucks living in an ultraconservative area!

Software Developer

Also, check out my fractals