Community > Forum > Perception, Barriers & Regulation of Privatized Space Travel > H.R. 3752 Out of Science Committee

H.R. 3752 Out of Science Committee

Posted by: Irving - Thu Feb 05, 2004 11:57 am
 [ 18 posts ] 
H.R. 3752 Out of Science Committee 
Moon Mission Member
Moon Mission Member
Post    Posted on: Tue May 04, 2004 10:13 pm
idiom wrote:
Hopefully it won't turn out as bad as what the Germans had to do to turn out the V2's...

Doubtful. The V2 was specifically designed as a ballistic missile that just happened to be barely able to take three people slightly above the Earth's atmosphere. The Third Reich had no ambitions towards a manned space program; it was too busy trying to win a war against 9/10 of the population and 4/5 of the production capacity.

China does not particularly want to enter into a war, as it would result in the destruction and uninhabitation of at least half the globe. Besides, an open war is an extremely inefficient way to develop new technology, not to mention the amount of time and money spent to get the populace behind the war in the first place. I think they'll stick with a military orbital weapons program, with a possible Lunar base -- if they go for military application. Considering the annexation of Hong Kong, though, and the consequent sweep of capitalism through a good portion of the country, they might stick with a strictly civil program with commercial applications.

In Memoriam...
Apollo I - Soyuz I - Soyuz XI - STS-51L - STS-107

Spaceflight Trainee
Spaceflight Trainee
Post    Posted on: Sun May 09, 2004 3:20 pm
Are you saying that regulations are enough to stop them, if they intend to dump debris on someone's home? If it's going to cost you money in damages, then why would you want to do it in the first place?

Sigurd wrote:
And I think.. it makes sence to stop the people "BEFORE" they are going to do it... not sue them "after" they have done it.

Space Walker
Space Walker
Post    Posted on: Wed Jun 30, 2004 9:50 pm
beneficii is right about that, but this bill sounds like a good thing