Community > Forum > Perception, Barriers & Regulation of Privatized Space Travel > Space Company as a drama television show

Space Company as a drama television show

Posted by: FerrisValyn - Wed Jan 18, 2006 9:24 am
 [ 32 posts ] 
Space Company as a drama television show 
Post    Posted on: Wed Oct 22, 2008 9:36 pm
I have often thought that a Soap Opera with its five out per week format would be great for a science fiction setting. Think the Young and the restless on a Mars colony with 100+ people.

However when you have drama in a static space environment you end up with soppy crap like Deep Space Nine.

Still go with with a much wider and deeper cast, simple sets and a five hour a week format and you are there for the girls. But just straight up seven carnal sins basic soap opera stuff, in a mars base.

Otherwise you need to go with an American chopper format for the guys.

Profile ICQ YIM
Space Walker
Space Walker
Post Space youth soap opera   Posted on: Sun Dec 21, 2008 3:16 am
In the 1990s, defunct British satellite TV channel BSB (long ago subsumed into Sky) produced Jupiter Moon. Some blurb from Amazon:

"In the year 2050, mankind has reached out into the vastness of space, exploring the mysteries and dangers of the solar system. But to the teen and twenty-something students and staff on board the university space station Ilea, the wonders and perils of deep space must compete with the ups and downs of relationships and young romance."

150 episodes were made. I never saw it, and not many people did.

I used to call DS9 "Deep Sleep 9".