Community > Forum > Perception, Barriers & Regulation of Privatized Space Travel > The coming oil crisis (?)

The coming oil crisis (?)

Posted by: LukeSkywalker - Wed Sep 28, 2005 1:32 pm
 [ 6 posts ] 
The coming oil crisis (?) 
Spaceflight Participant
Spaceflight Participant
Post The coming oil crisis (?)   Posted on: Wed Sep 28, 2005 1:32 pm
I got started thinking about this a while back. I've been looking at many websites and information source, and I'm convinced that world oil production is going to start declining within the next 10-15 years. Now, we could argue about that till we're all blue in the face, so lets not; but supposing there was an oil crisis, the US economy would suffer from mass inflation and just maybe collapse. I'm afraid that there will be much less funds available to sponsor space development (both government and private), and fewer rich folks willing to become paying tourists (unless you go to Saudi Arabia). This could be a real disaster, and though I've always wanted to go into aerospace engineering, I don't know if the industry is going to be in good shape in the future. Any thoughts?

[Yes, I originally brought this up in the Cafe' under "The Reason" but I didn't explain it very well and I was off-topic to begin with.]

Space Station Commander
Space Station Commander
Post    Posted on: Wed Sep 28, 2005 7:50 pm
Space in general is going to be taking a hit--and space tourism will as well. I actually think that it might be a better idea to support Griffin's plan--and to focus private space efforts on non-space engineering projects. I would love to see a Bering Strait Bridge/Tunnel built so we can ship oil in from the Eastern parts of the Former Soviet Union.

As it stands, we are paying for the rebuilding of the Caliphate. If Russian were to get the oil money currently being sent to the Moslem world--there is no doubt in my mind that they would make better use of it.

More Klipers, less Palm Islands.

Spaceflight Trainee
Spaceflight Trainee
Post Re: The coming oil crisis (?)   Posted on: Mon Jul 13, 2009 11:29 am
I wouldn't get to worried about scarcity of oil just yet :)

Profile WWW
Space Station Commander
Space Station Commander
Post Re: The coming oil crisis (?)   Posted on: Mon Jul 13, 2009 4:25 pm
i really don't see an oil crisis affecting investment in space- if anything it would be incentive for more investment, for space solar power or some other nonsense like that. after all, the space elevator will be a serious possibility by the time we start having to worry about where our next tank of gas is coming from (admittedly i do agree that this could be as soon as 20 years, though likely closer to 50).

Software Developer

Also, check out my fractals

Space Station Member
Space Station Member
Post Re: The coming oil crisis (?)   Posted on: Tue Jul 14, 2009 7:04 am
Regarding oil and space...

About a month ago, there was a meeting in Stavanger (oil capitol of Norway) with the local suppliers, Statoil, Norwegian Space Centre, ESA and NASA representatives. The purpose of this meeting was technology transfer.

The article in Norwegian: http://aftenbladet.no/energi/olje/10377 ... _NASA.html
(Tried to find a good translation tool, but everything was more confusing than before)

I work in one of those suppliers (http://www.acergy-group.com) so these are exciting times with regards to oil and space. The idea behind it all is that the job we do is more or less the same, with remote operated vehicles, huge construction tasks in harsh environments, etc.

Profile ICQ
Launch Director
Launch Director
Post Re: The coming oil crisis (?)   Posted on: Fri Aug 28, 2015 2:34 am
peak oil was in 2004. the rate of consumption since the middle or one half mark has been increasing exponentially as third world countries begin industrialization and etc. So we burned through another 2/5ths and are now on the last fifth of existing Oil. Peak coal was 2005 or 2006, and similarly we are well on our way to being out of coal. i'm not sure when peak natural gas was or is or will be, but its not far behind.

4 or 6 or 10 pounds of fuel are attached to every pound of food your average american eats, and thanks to the evil overlords and their vampiric exploitation of the situation and shut out of other energy resources there is no plan b. When we run out of oil, civilization falls.

Often times when i express an interest in space exploration people say to me we have to fix planet earth first. This is one example of a counting down doomsday clock that nobody wants to face.

We have to face it or humanity goes extinct instead of to the stars.

The oil and coal and etc companies have lied through their teeth to say the supplies are as good as they ever were, but just the simple fact that they are fracking and going after tar sands tells you if you are any kind of scientist or engineer that the situation is already desperate and we are already scraping the very bottom of the barel here.

So if we want to get into space , we are going to have to apply space age solutions to broken political, social, economic, and energy problems, and we best do that in a rush, because it takes time to transform over to geothermal.

Thats a whole nother topic to the side, but again the evil overlords want to keep the discussion framed on solar and wind and lock out geothermal because that maintains energy as a commodity and maintains an energy commodity economy. If we had transformed over to geothermal back in 1970 when all the responsible energy scientists were saying we should, the energy bill to run your house and your car would be less than a penny per year by now.

ETC other non solutions like biofuels or nuclear power.. we have to get a real world cost benefit analysis done that isn't lying with math by only allowing the simulation to run for a single month. Thats how its done. they compare geothermals installation costs and its first months output to oil and coals maintainence costs on wells that have to be abandoned and mines that are going to run out, and using that sleight of mind con scam math they make it sound like oil and coal are cheaper, which is ludicrous, because even solar and wind keep going and going and going while their mines and their wells run out and have to be replaced.

geothermal is orders of magnitude cheaper and greener and more accessible and higher in yield than ANY other form of energy, and its the only form of energy thus worth talking about in the political or problem solving sense.