Community > Forum > Perception, Barriers & Regulation of Privatized Space Travel > Reasonable regulations increasind safety?

Reasonable regulations increasind safety?

Posted by: Ekkehard Augustin - Fri Apr 27, 2007 1:14 pm
 [ 4 posts ] 
Reasonable regulations increasind safety? 
Post Reasonable regulations increasind safety?   Posted on: Fri Apr 27, 2007 1:14 pm
There is a thread in one section of this board about danger by crossing the path of a comet or debris of a died comet etc.

As far as debris, comets, asteroids etc. are moving along orbits of significant eccentricity are sources of danger - what about establishing a future rule that interplanetary flights are forbidden to cross such paths against the direction the debris etc. are going along? A flight from Earth towards Mars for example would have to avoid crossing the path of objects going from outside the earthian orbit towards the earthian orbit around the sun.

On the other hand such a rule might favour flights in the same direction as the debris, comet etc. - AFTER the object has passed perhaps.

What about regulations like this?

Dipl.-Volkswirt (bdvb) Augustin (Political Economist)

Space Station Member
Space Station Member
Post    Posted on: Fri Apr 27, 2007 2:03 pm
Please, don’t even think about “Rulesâ€

Profile WWW
Post    Posted on: Fri Apr 27, 2007 2:31 pm
Hello, rpspeck,

I agree to what you say - I was merely thinking about collisions far (a lot of millions km) away from Earth similar to what happened to that one Mars probe being hit by rocks after flying by Mars in the 1960s.

Dangers to Earth or objects in LEO I didn't have in mind.

I only was thinking randomly about it under the hypothesis that there might be more and regular traffic towards Mars.

Space Station Member
Space Station Member
Post    Posted on: Fri May 04, 2007 10:49 pm
We will eventually map out and publish the hazards in space, but we don't actually know enough to begin! The biggest “meteor stormsâ€

Profile WWW