Community > Forum > Astronomy > Asteroid passing below some of our satellites on feb 15

Asteroid passing below some of our satellites on feb 15

Posted by: SANEAlex - Tue Jan 15, 2013 8:30 pm
 [ 47 posts ] 
Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Asteroid passing below some of our satellites on feb 15 
Space Station Member
Space Station Member
Post Asteroid passing below some of our satellites on feb 15   Posted on: Tue Jan 15, 2013 8:30 pm
http://www.gizmag.com/asteroid-da14-clo ... 013/25745/

I know i am posting a bit early but this has links for observation charts for those who want to prepare i will try to remember to bump the thread day before and on the night.

Profile WWW
Space Station Member
Space Station Member
Post Re: Asteroid passing below some of our satellites on feb 15   Posted on: Fri Feb 15, 2013 12:43 pm
And of course to emphasise the point we don't have enough stuff up there checking and defending our little blue dot one of the many we did not see in time. Apparently just a little cosmic coincidence as it does not seem to be linked to the one lots of people will be watching tonight.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-21468116

More details on tonight's no so near miss ( and for the pedants who think today's was a hit it shattered 30-50 Km up and its largest fragment landed in a lake area)

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-21442863

Profile WWW
Space Station Commander
Space Station Commander
Post Re: Asteroid passing below some of our satellites on feb 15   Posted on: Fri Feb 15, 2013 1:35 pm
Yeah, so it looks like 2012 DA14 is actually an asteroid field and not just a single monolithic body.

Space Station Member
Space Station Member
Post Re: Asteroid passing below some of our satellites on feb 15   Posted on: Fri Feb 15, 2013 2:07 pm
JamesG wrote:
Yeah, so it looks like 2012 DA14 is actually an asteroid field and not just a single monolithic body.

No these two are apparently unrelated coming in on different obits but my point is that even when we are apparently looking hard at things that might one day be super nuke equivalents its very easy to miss the random drive by shootings that will happen much more often. Considering we are supposedly an technologically sentient civilisation we should as we have an awareness of the real risks spend more of our collective global GDP defending all of us against individual, mass and even global Darwin awards. As despite the claims we have spotted 9 out of 10 extinction level event objects of which i am doubtful and think is overly optimistic about our current capabilities and accuracy. I still play the lotto every week at odds of 1 in 13 million a tax on those who cant do maths is often used to describe those of us who play but most weeks somebody wins. The stakes are a bit higher when the random chance is not a win but species extinction.

Profile WWW
Space Station Commander
Space Station Commander
Post Re: Asteroid passing below some of our satellites on feb 15   Posted on: Fri Feb 15, 2013 2:22 pm
Yeah, you sound like a lotto player. :wink:

The probability of two different objects on unrelated trajectories arriving at "near approach" with Earth at effectively the exact same time are infinitely smaller than the two being related and having arrived together.

Hopefully we don't get "confirmation" of this hypothesis by additional events.

Space Station Member
Space Station Member
Post Re: Asteroid passing below some of our satellites on feb 15   Posted on: Fri Feb 15, 2013 3:38 pm
JamesG wrote:
Yeah, you sound like a lotto player. :wink:

The probability of two different objects on unrelated trajectories arriving at "near approach" with Earth at effectively the exact same time are infinitely smaller than the two being related and having arrived together.

Hopefully we don't get "confirmation" of this hypothesis by additional events.

I am not disagreeing with your instincts on maths probability but they have already checked and these two objects are crossing on entirely different orbits so we have just had a lotto event happen knowing my luck my six numbers will come up and then there will be another bright light in the sky :wink: :twisted: but cross your fingers for me anyway as if i do get a big win i will be able to afford getting my teams N-Prize entry off the theory and planning stages and into practical application without the risk of ending up wearing an orange jumpsuit. And if it works as we think it should it should make access to space a lot cheaper.

Profile WWW
Space Station Member
Space Station Member
Post Re: Asteroid passing below some of our satellites on feb 15   Posted on: Fri Feb 15, 2013 3:59 pm
And just seen this as well as the ground views plenty to be seen on youtube it was also caught on a weather sat so its direction and height should be fairly accurately be calculated.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VdoKEFsemvw

Profile WWW
Space Station Commander
Space Station Commander
Post Re: Asteroid passing below some of our satellites on feb 15   Posted on: Fri Feb 15, 2013 4:01 pm
Who are "they" and there is no way of knowing where a particular rock came from because of the way captured objects spiral down the gravity well before entry.

Very likely declaring it not part of DA14 was a statement designed to calm the public.

Space Station Member
Space Station Member
Post Re: Asteroid passing below some of our satellites on feb 15   Posted on: Fri Feb 15, 2013 4:35 pm
JamesG wrote:
Who are "they" and there is no way of knowing where a particular rock came from because of the way captured objects spiral down the gravity well before entry.

Very likely declaring it not part of DA14 was a statement designed to calm the public.

I have seen it stated on several astronomy sites and the BBC's site i am all for a good conspiracy but if it was related to bigger one being live stream here at the moment

http://www.ustream.tv/nasajpl2

Da14 it should have come south north and the Russian one was roughly east-to-west

Bad Astronomers is one of the sites and i dont think he would lie in a cover up

http://www.slate.com/blogs/bad_astronom ... ussia.html

Profile WWW
Space Station Commander
Space Station Commander
Post Re: Asteroid passing below some of our satellites on feb 15   Posted on: Fri Feb 15, 2013 5:08 pm
It would depend on how much lateral dispersion there was between this object and DA14. If they had a couple Earth's width separation, it would appear to us to be coming from the opposite direction as it whipped around the Earth and burned up.

So given the probabilities, I think that more likely. I wonder if USSPACECOM got a track on it. That would be more telling than where it wound up.

Space Station Member
Space Station Member
Post Re: Asteroid passing below some of our satellites on feb 15   Posted on: Fri Feb 15, 2013 10:01 pm
they might be a bit more info and a look at da14 on slooh in momment

http://events.slooh.com/

Profile WWW
Space Station Member
Space Station Member
Post Re: Asteroid passing below some of our satellites on feb 15   Posted on: Sat Feb 16, 2013 2:25 am
And to add to the fun slooh is also showing yet another one passing close by

2008DG17 at about .09au travelling at 23Kmps

Profile WWW
Space Station Commander
Space Station Commander
Post Re: Asteroid passing below some of our satellites on feb 15   Posted on: Sat Feb 16, 2013 3:25 pm
Another smaller one in Northern California yesterday.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2013/02/16/fireball-calif-sky/1924483/

Space Station Member
Space Station Member
Post Re: Asteroid passing below some of our satellites on feb 15   Posted on: Sat Feb 16, 2013 8:50 pm
Well going on this :-

http://edition.cnn.com/2013/02/16/opini ... index.html

I should win the lotto 7 or 8 times before the next Friday the 15th like yesterday i know probability does not work like that but here is hoping :wink: :twisted:

Profile WWW
Space Station Commander
Space Station Commander
Post Re: Asteroid passing below some of our satellites on feb 15   Posted on: Sat Feb 16, 2013 9:38 pm
Everything's fine. Nothing to see here. Move along. Move along.

I think she (and the scientific consensus) is making the error of assuming that it's terminal entry vector was the same as it's initial trajectory.

I'm sticking with my theory. Not that it really matters much. Most people won't care either way.