Community > Forum > Astronomy > objects in the sky

objects in the sky

Posted by: maddmikk - Wed Nov 16, 2011 3:58 pm
 [ 18 posts ] 
objects in the sky 
Rocket Constructor
Rocket Constructor
Post Re: objects in the sky   Posted on: Fri Nov 25, 2011 6:33 pm
it was approx 7:30pm. They were all about what looked like 1/2 km apart all of them. It almost looked like they were travelling in formation. They were moving rather slowly. They seemed to come in bursts of about 5-6 then a few minutes later another 4 or 5 then few minutes later another 5-6. It was the wierdest thing I ever saw. As mentioned, I sent all the photos I had to the canadian space agency and am awaiting a reply.

Rocket Constructor
Rocket Constructor
Post Re: objects in the sky   Posted on: Fri Nov 25, 2011 6:35 pm
and they did not look anything at all like any of the pics you all posted.

Space Station Commander
Space Station Commander
Post Re: objects in the sky   Posted on: Tue Nov 29, 2011 12:36 am
That was about the time asteroid 2005 YU55 was doing its close approach. Its known that comets and some asteroids travel in a cloud of debris. I don't know if YU55 was documented as having any "friends" but you might have been seeing some of that.

As for it appearance, keep in mind that atmospherics play tricks on the human eye/brain that fools even trained observers like pilots. What looked like a "1/2 km" and "low" to you could be tens of kms apart and hundreds of kms away high in the upper atmosphere because you were looking "across" the curve of the Earth. That also explains why they seemed to move "slow", distance reduces apparent speed.