Community > Forum > Astronomy > Did the percieved chance of ET life in our galaxy go up?

Did the percieved chance of ET life in our galaxy go up?

Posted by: vecima - Thu Nov 19, 2009 7:01 pm
 [ 5 posts ] 
Did the percieved chance of ET life in our galaxy go up? 
Spaceflight Trainee
Spaceflight Trainee
Post Did the percieved chance of ET life in our galaxy go up?   Posted on: Thu Nov 19, 2009 7:01 pm
I did a quick search and didn't see this among the headlines, so here goes:

(from ScienceNews.org - Sun may not be a Goldilocks star)

This article is interesting in that it claims that orange dwarfs (or K-Type stars) are actually better candidates than Sol for harboring habitable, and possibly life supporting planets. They apparently give off less UV, flare less, and have a longer lifespan than Sol. Additionally, they make up 15% of the stars in the galaxy - that is they are more common than "Sun-like" stars.

Given that life can develop around a "Sun-like" star, does this mean that extra terrestrial life in our galaxy is more likely than we previously realized?

(edited: twice I referred to the Sun as "Earth" - what was I smoking?)

Last edited by vecima on Fri Nov 20, 2009 2:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post Re: Did the percieved chance of ET life in our galaxy go up?   Posted on: Fri Nov 20, 2009 3:37 am
Unless we need the Flares and UV to get biology done...

Profile ICQ YIM
Spaceflight Trainee
Spaceflight Trainee
Post Re: Did the percieved chance of ET life in our galaxy go up?   Posted on: Fri Nov 20, 2009 2:56 pm
I would think that they would be a mixed blessing at best. Who knows, maybe they did help with biological formation, but less of those things also means (if I understand correctly) less chance of the star blowing the atmosphere off of it's planets.

Post Re: Did the percieved chance of ET life in our galaxy go up?   Posted on: Fri Nov 20, 2009 8:03 pm
Its a lack of data points...

We don't know what it takes, only that we have Life on Earth and that Earths geological history has been pretty freakish.

Profile ICQ YIM
Spaceflight Trainee
Spaceflight Trainee
Post Re: Did the percieved chance of ET life in our galaxy go up?   Posted on: Wed May 05, 2010 6:43 pm
The fact that Sol and these K-type stars are both thought (Sol proven) to harbor life increases the possibility to the best of our knowledge.