Community > Forum > Education > 17 years old, i am on a dead end with education. ASTRONATICS

17 years old, i am on a dead end with education. ASTRONATICS

Posted by: salvador8907 - Thu Jul 09, 2015 9:01 pm
 [ 3 posts ] 
17 years old, i am on a dead end with education. ASTRONATICS 
Spaceflight Enthusiast
Spaceflight Enthusiast
Post 17 years old, i am on a dead end with education. ASTRONATICS   Posted on: Thu Jul 09, 2015 9:01 pm
I've wanted to become an entrepreneur since junior year. All throughout high school the idea of being able to lead a group of individuals in order to achieve a positive impact on the world really fascinated me. I was able to acquire leadership experience through out high school, including being ASB President of my whole school last year (12th grade). Those two last years of school i got to really know myself. This meant that the academic subjects that actually interested me i would do anything to learn them. This lead to having poor attendance in certain classes such as math and english, thus dropping math my senior year. I would ditch classes to attend economics classes i couldn't be enrolled in, i would read constantly in classes that bored me, and i would work on a business plan that i'd been working since junior year. I would even ditch classes to continue to work on ASB related tasks, cause i believed (still do) i needed the leadership experience one way or another, it was the closest thing i could get to the "CEO Experience". I consider myself an Autodidact because of this academic lifestyle i chose to do the last two years of high school.
Now after school: i can finally learn what has fascinated me since elementary,space!!! and the career in the space industry. I'd like to become leading entrepreneur in the space market because its like the 'Space Race" all over again with governments encouraging private companies to innovate and bring the humankind to the final frontier. But i can only learn so much on my own at home with limited resources and having no place to apply. I FEEL LIKE IM AT A DEAD END. I'd like to learn and apply astronautics. But to universities, i have low scores and grades to even get in (and im not interested in general education),which is why i spend nights studying subjects like Fundamentals of Astrodynamics completely on my own with just a textbook and the internet to answer my questions with the vocab and math. I dont know how to guide myself to achieve my dreams of working in and then starting up my own company in the space industry, Because i know i am destined for Mars. It is just that all i have for myself is a dream, passion, motivation, and i wont stop at nothing. I just dont have the math skills, scores and grades. Im just an Autodidact with no direction.
-Thank you, Salvador from California, united states.

Space Station Commander
Space Station Commander
Post Re: 17 years old, i am on a dead end with education. ASTRONATICS   Posted on: Sun Jul 19, 2015 4:57 pm
I have just watched a lot of the #NewSpace conference here

https://newspace.spacefrontier.org/agenda/

And there does seem to be a lot of new companies staring up in your part of the world I am over the pond in the UK & one thing I noticed amongst the discussions on cool tech, politics of space, VC funding etc is that a lot of the people now running #NewSpace companies started out as volunteers helping out in space camps and SEDS students helping out at conferences etc that might be a way to get an in. I did not get on with school but did eventually get bits of paper saying I was qualified in in computing and another in electronics which I got on day release whilst working for a college as a computer technician and have since worked for University's even though I have never actually got a degree(though I do have a 1 or 2 years points towards one on a part time one but life got complicated as its does) I have been an IT Manager for a sustainable energy company.

I thought by now space access would be much more advanved.

Despite quite a few problems. I have only recently set up a #NewSpace company AKA the moneypit at the moment with a friend I have almost 3 decades on you. So what I say is don't give up on your dreams if you can, get bits of paper showing you have some skills but also go to places where you can get skills I think the phrase I heard a few times at the conference is sweat equity sometimes it eventually pays off in pounds & pence or in your case dollars and cents sometimes it doesn't. But experience of things that don't succeed can help you work on things that might in the future.

Profile WWW
Space Station Commander
Space Station Commander
Post Re: 17 years old, i am on a dead end with education. ASTRONATICS   Posted on: Mon Jul 20, 2015 10:54 pm
My best advice to you if your not going on to collage right out of High School JOIN THE SERVICE and get some life experience. I was Navy and did Gas Turbines. I think the Navy has far better schools and food. Make sure you check out the Air Force before you join you might not be getting what your expecting.
Being on a ship yourself rather than in a barracks forces you to learn more besides the skill your being taught.

Being 24 and full of the world with some specific training is a much better starting place.

Besides that it's FUN!