Community > Forum > Education > Academic Space Launch Initiative (ASLI) Australia

Academic Space Launch Initiative (ASLI) Australia

Posted by: JAG - Tue Jul 14, 2009 6:06 am
 [ 5 posts ] 
Academic Space Launch Initiative (ASLI) Australia 
Spaceflight Trainee
Spaceflight Trainee
Post Academic Space Launch Initiative (ASLI) Australia   Posted on: Tue Jul 14, 2009 6:06 am
HI,

Thought I would introduce this program I founded in 2007 to the Space Fellowship, as we are getting ready to roll the program out to schools again next year.

ASLI2007http://www.asli2007.blogspot.com

I would be keen to talk to contacts internationally who maybe interested in collaborative efforts, as far as development of research payloads. And the possibility of overseas launches, as our goal is to develop a sounding rocket "kit" based on a hybrid propulsion system. Providing for the first time very safe and affordable launch options for students & researchers.

Please feel free to contact by PM at any time.

JG

Profile WWW
Space Station Commander
Space Station Commander
Post Re: Academic Space Launch Initiative (ASLI) Australia   Posted on: Tue Jul 14, 2009 6:53 am
I would possibly be curious about trying to scare up some interest among a few Cornell professors. I think I'm going to take a lunar science seminar taught by one of the two main mars rovers guys (Bell, the one you don't hear about on the news) and I worked briefly for one other space sciences professor. I don't really know any propulsion guys but I could talk to the guy who teaches the propulsion class. As I will be a senior the amount I can do is limited unless I decide to stick around for a masters, but it's possible your project could generate interest since it's already established and a good idea.

Software Developer

Also, check out my fractals

Spaceflight Trainee
Spaceflight Trainee
Post Re: Academic Space Launch Initiative (ASLI) Australia   Posted on: Tue Jul 14, 2009 9:33 am
TerraMrs wrote:
I don't really know any propulsion guys but I could talk to the guy who teaches the propulsion class. As I will be a senior the amount I can do is limited unless I decide to stick around for a masters, but it's possible your project could generate interest since it's already established and a good idea.

Hi TerraMrs,

The propulsion side is not an issue as we have developed most of this outside of the University, our specific interest would be providing launch opportunities for payloads. Also looking at the possibility of fostering collaborative payload projects between international schools, and our Australian schools. As well as looking at conducting launches in different countries to support the academic projects.

So perhaps if you know of groups who are working space based electronic projects and or CANSAT & Cubesat projects, who want to qualify their electronics we might be able to help.

JG

Last edited by JAG on Tue Jul 14, 2009 11:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Profile WWW
Space Station Commander
Space Station Commander
Post Re: Academic Space Launch Initiative (ASLI) Australia   Posted on: Tue Jul 14, 2009 4:03 pm
I'll put you in touch with with some people on the CUSAT team, which I am not actually involved with. Can you give me some general specifications on the rocket - payload, max altitude, velocity, etc? I didn't read enough of the blog to extract said information from it...

Also, I know their payload is substantially larger than a cubesat (though I'm not sure what mass exactly) and that they just started working on a new vehicle (previous launched last year) so it's quite possible they would want to flight qualify some electronics. It seems like an excellent opportunity at the very least.

EDIT: contact info for one of their student managers (I work with him) - work: stehuraa@ssd.loral.com gmail: aaron.stehura@gmail.com

Software Developer

Also, check out my fractals

Spaceflight Trainee
Spaceflight Trainee
Post Re: Academic Space Launch Initiative (ASLI) Australia   Posted on: Tue Jul 14, 2009 11:24 pm
TerraMrs wrote:
Can you give me some general specifications on the rocket - payload, max altitude, velocity, etc? I didn't read enough of the blog to extract said information from it...

No problem we are completing a users guide for the final rocket design at the moment so once this is done I will organize to post it online.

Profile WWW