Community > Forum > Technology & Science > leave the powerplant behind, duh!

leave the powerplant behind, duh!

Posted by: 109Ace - Fri Jan 14, 2005 10:11 pm
 [ 5 posts ] 
leave the powerplant behind, duh! 
Space Walker
Space Walker
Post leave the powerplant behind, duh!   Posted on: Fri Jan 14, 2005 10:11 pm
http://www.space.com/businesstechnology ... 00705.html

seems failry obvious. hope they pursue this further, or better, that private companies undertake this!

Thank you

Space Station Member
Space Station Member
Post    Posted on: Sun Jan 16, 2005 11:09 am
That was 5 years ago. Everybody has seen the discovery documentaries hundred of times. I dont think its even close to realistic for many years. To generate that much energy to even lift a single human would be enermous. The craft used is very light, the articles says about 50 grams, and even thát is not going very high or fast. Even if this technique should work someday, it would be a one-way trip, unless you would install a huge-ass laser on your destination. Not very efficient if you ask me.

Post    Posted on: Sun Jan 16, 2005 4:35 pm
Steafn,

please remember the recent first test flights of two light sails of the Japans and the coming test flight of a light sail by the Planetary Society to be launched by the Russians.

May be that these light sails could be used for accelerations of small probes by a space-based powerplant and laser. May be that the sails have to developed further or to be redeveloped for this alternative but given the sails the laser concept is interesting.

What ideed has to be taken into account is what spacecowboy answered to a question of mine in summer 2004 - a laser that can effectively propell a probe by light sail to the outer planets within a few years is requiring such a huge amount of energy that mankind isn't able to provide it yet.

But something should be possible by laser + light sails concerning nanosats at least. Let's think about this.

Dipl.-Volkswirt (bdvb) Augustin (Political Economist)

Space Walker
Space Walker
Post    Posted on: Mon Jan 17, 2005 2:23 am
I think the technology can be scaled up.
The laser basically heats the air under the craft and causes it to expand in microexplosions. Just use a bigger laser damnit!

Thank you

Post    Posted on: Mon Jan 17, 2005 7:55 am
To clarify it only - I was not speaking of a launch by laser from Earth's surface. I was considering a launch by laser in space. The light sail wouldn't work within the atmosphere beacuse it is so extremly thin that it would be burnt at launch.

Dipl.-Volkswirt (bdvb) Augustin (Political Economist)