Community > Forum > Technology & Science > Offical R&D on a technology for entry

Offical R&D on a technology for entry

Posted by: Ekkehard Augustin - Mon Dec 06, 2004 11:19 am
 [ 11 posts ] 
Offical R&D on a technology for entry 
Post Offical R&D on a technology for entry   Posted on: Mon Dec 06, 2004 11:19 am
According to the article "Fly Higher, Fly Lighter: 'Ballute' Technology Aimed at Moon Missions" ( www.space.com/businesstechnology/techno ... 41201.html ) there is official R&D on a thin film ballute that will first cause an incoming spacecrfat to go into an orbit and then second decelerate it.

Could that be a solution for ASP vehicles too? Does it mean that Scaled and others are loosing the ASP?

Is this technology in the farther vicinity of the feather technique because its use of high drag in upper regions of the atmosphere or is it not?

Dipl.-Volkswirt(bdvb) Augustin (Political Economist)

Moon Mission Member
Moon Mission Member
Post    Posted on: Mon Dec 06, 2004 7:05 pm
Yes, I think this is similar to the feather. It looks like a very promising idea. Of course the devil is in the details. It remains to be seen if this works better than traditional heat shields, but am optimistic that it will.

Profile WWW
Spaceflight Participant
Spaceflight Participant
Post    Posted on: Mon Dec 06, 2004 10:16 pm
Wow, very high potential! This is probably at least ten years away, if the devils can be disentangled from the details. I'm not sure how reusable this would be, and I'm dying to know what type of materials they're thinking of constructing the balute out of, though.

Post    Posted on: Tue Dec 07, 2004 8:00 am
NASA seems to take in serious very seriously - Ball won a competition. I wonder wether that might have been a Centennial Challenges Prize we didn't recognize - but I don't think so really.

And I'm still thinking about the consequences for the ASP competitors...

Dipl.-Volkswirt (bdvb) Augustin (Political Economist)

Post    Posted on: Tue Jan 04, 2005 1:24 pm
To add another comparison - can the ballute technology be compared to JP Aerospace's technology?

I ask this because JP Aerospace is using something between balloons and zeppelines and because their vehicle will be launched from their Dark Sky Station and is going very slow into the orbit - it needs a week to go there.

Balloon/zeppeline-like Dark Sky Station compares a little bit to a ballute having decelerated a vehicle sufficiently for safe reentry - the difference is altitude.

Moon Mission Member
Moon Mission Member
Post    Posted on: Fri Oct 07, 2005 9:40 pm
If I read this artical correctly the Russian have launched a spacecraft using a sea launched Volna missile from the Barents sea on a sub-orbital trajectory which uses a ballute. The Russsian design was financed by EADS and the spacecraft is yet to be recovered but the Russians have said that the ballute deployed correctly and the spacecraft detached from its booster (2 earlier attempts had failed). Assuming the craft is OK, is this the first successful use of a ballute?

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20051007/ap_ ... MlJVRPUCUl

http://www.space.com/missionlaunches/ap ... aunch.html

Profile WWW
Space Station Commander
Space Station Commander
Post    Posted on: Wed Oct 12, 2005 4:33 pm
I'm surprized that Volna flight actually worked.

Moon Mission Member
Moon Mission Member
Post    Posted on: Wed Oct 12, 2005 8:42 pm
Don't be too surprised, because they have not actually found it yet. Just today I read that the rocket's trajectory may have been too shallow causing it to overshoot Kamchatka and land in the Pacific.

http://www.space.com/businesstechnology ... _irdt.html

Profile WWW
Space Station Commander
Space Station Commander
Post    Posted on: Wed Oct 12, 2005 9:54 pm
Well, at least we didn't have much to fear from those SLBMs.

Post    Posted on: Mon Nov 19, 2007 11:37 am
Obviously the ballute-concept has been developed farther in between. The document "Aerocapture Technology" ( www.nasa.gov/centers/marshall/pdf/11586 ... ure_FS.pdf ).

On page 3 it can be read that there also is the idea to combine ballutes with other entry-technologies.

Post    Posted on: Thu Apr 23, 2009 7:22 pm
According to the article "Ballutes Studied For Hypersonic Space Vehicles" ( www.space.com/businesstechnology/090421 ... lutes.html ) balutes have more interesting properties beyond those I have read about - there is an innovation making them steerable.

From the article are to be listed

- development of a new type of ballute called a lifting-towed-toroidal-ballute (Global Aerospace)

- manipulation of the tether lengths between the spacecraft and the ballute to create aerodynamic lift, making steering possible

- use of ballutes to lower the cost of putting a satellite into orbit

What about it?