Community > Forum > Technology & Science > English Invention: Key to Space?

English Invention: Key to Space?

Posted by: skyhigh - Sat Oct 30, 2004 4:27 am
 [ 13 posts ] 
English Invention: Key to Space? 
Spaceflight Trainee
Spaceflight Trainee
Post English Invention: Key to Space?   Posted on: Sat Oct 30, 2004 4:27 am
Ok, this is not crackpot science (as far as I know). I've seen this product on television before. Apparently its a paint that is absolutely impervious to heat. It was made by an Englishman amateur inventor. What I recall is that tests were done where you put this paint on an egg and put a blowtorch to it, and no heat passes through. In fact, they put it through simulated nuclear blasts, and no radiation even penetrates the material. It is completely baffling.

I couldn't find any good information on the internet. Here is a link to an article:

http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/f-news/1236856/posts

Now it seems like wacky science up there with bigfoot and UFOs etc... But I swear I've seen it on reputable programs a number of years ago.

I have to believe England or NASA has access to this technology. It will probably never be made commercially available because of military reasons. But imagine if it was. You'd see your Home insurance premiums drop dramatically. It could literally save the U.S. economy tens of billions of dollars if all paints for houses had this coating. Then turn that funding over to push forward space technology.

Anyone else ever hear of this substance? If you could put this on the space shuttle it would keep out all radiation, and all the heavy tiles wouldn't be needed. Imagine if SpaceShipOne was painted with this. Right now they need to configure their wings to prevent burn up. But what if that failed? This paint would be a major advance for space technology.

Spaceflight Trainee
Spaceflight Trainee
Post Another website   Posted on: Sat Oct 30, 2004 4:49 am
Not sure if this is the official website or not:

http://www.starlitetechnologies.com/

I know I'm not helping my case that this isn't junk science (these sites I've put up look pretty crappy), but again I swear I've seen this on television. Of course not everything on tv is true :D But I think this stuff is real. This site has some articles from like Businessweek & Dateline etc....

Spaceflight Participant
Spaceflight Participant
Post    Posted on: Sat Oct 30, 2004 12:20 pm
I find it suspicious that they quote Janes, but janes.com has only one reference to 'starlite', that being a radar sattelite system in low orbit, not a paint compound.

Profile ICQ YIM
Spaceflight Participant
Spaceflight Participant
Post    Posted on: Sat Oct 30, 2004 10:26 pm
1. If it sounds too good to be true, it usually is.
2. If this existed, it would have been in use by now. It is not, therefore it does not exist.

Profile WWW
Spaceflight Trainee
Spaceflight Trainee
Post Ordinarily I'd agree with you   Posted on: Sat Oct 30, 2004 11:18 pm
Ordinarily I would agree with you...

Except I have seen it demonstrated on television and I recall it being an entirely legitimate source. But as I look for information on it all I can find are these crappy sites. Perhaps it is like some urban legend/hoax :shock: Who knows? :shock:

Spaceflight Enthusiast
Spaceflight Enthusiast
Post    Posted on: Sun Oct 31, 2004 1:39 am
It Seems that... it's Maurice Ward's paint

Called "Starlite"

According to this article....
http://www.alternativescience.com/flame-proof.htm

it was on the BBC's "Tomorrow's World". (it says in 1993) Hmmm

(that does sem pretty crazy that something so useful seems to be nowhere to be found 10 years later..)

After further searching.... here is what I was able to find...

http://www.radio.cbc.ca/programs/quirks ... pr1396.htm
says "Mr Ward is marketing his product, but still will not allow any analysis of the way Starlite works." <--- maybe that is the reason?

here is Mr Ward.

and the product

but I would say after some extended searching... it is a Hoax or a Government Bought up the stuff and have burried it somewhere :)

Sea

Spaceflight Participant
Spaceflight Participant
Post Re: Another website   Posted on: Sun Oct 31, 2004 12:26 pm
skyhigh wrote:
Not sure if this is the official website or not:

http://www.starlitetechnologies.com/

I know I'm not helping my case that this isn't junk science (these sites I've put up look pretty crappy), but again I swear I've seen this on television. Of course not everything on tv is true :D But I think this stuff is real. This site has some articles from like Businessweek & Dateline etc....

Ive seen it to, he was on Discovery Science about a year ago ( when i seen it ) he could apply it to anything and you couldnt burn or heat up anything while the paint or spray was on the surface.

It was on a show where inventors would come to a Panel of experts about marketing the product, they would get a yes or no for guidance and financial help.

Spaceflight Trainee
Spaceflight Trainee
Post    Posted on: Sun Oct 31, 2004 2:39 pm
I seem to remember a story done on a type of concrete that did the same thing. The inventor would only sell the recipe for 10,000,000 dollars becuse she was afraid of letting anyone know the formula for making the stuff, because of fraud. She did send out samples for testing all over (militay, corps, ect) and they were legit.

Of course it with stood all the same tests, incinators, blow torches, the 1/4 nuclar blast heat. So this isn't the first time a super heat restant product has come up and not been developed.

Take your pick hoax or conspiracy.

As a side note check out NASAs SHARP thermal protection matterial in action
http://www.space-rockets.com/video/sharpht.wmv

Location: Alexander, North Carolina, Planet Earth, the Milky Way Galaxy
Post    Posted on: Sun Oct 31, 2004 6:04 pm
I've heard stories like that all my life about fantastic inventions; the 200 miles per gallon carberator is one of the often touted but elusive inventons that comes to mind.

The reality of our market-driven world is that if someone invents something saleable, it's almost immedately in the stores.

As to the fireproof paint, I received a video from a company eight or nine years ago trying to get me to buy a distributorship. I thought then, and I think now, that if it's so darned good, Walmart would have it on the shelves already. :D

--Ralph

http://1vid.com

Last edited by author on Mon Nov 01, 2004 12:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Profile WWW
Spaceflight Participant
Spaceflight Participant
Post    Posted on: Mon Nov 01, 2004 7:29 am
Apparently it was bunk.

Browse theres threads:
http://groups.google.com/groups?q=mauri ... &scoring=d

EDIT: hmm, actually perhaps no.
Theres a guy called Steve Richardson ( srichards@mail.stlnet.com ), apparently an aerospace engineer, who has posted couple times, claiming that he has seen it in action.

http://groups.google.com/groups?selm=33 ... stlnet.com
http://groups.google.com/groups?selm=32 ... tercom.com

Anyone wanna contact this guy and ask for update ? :P

Post    Posted on: Wed Nov 10, 2004 9:00 am
Market forces unfortunately do not maximise product quality. Windows™ anybody?

Also, even if you had a magic material (they come along every so often) it might have some nasty side affect like being massively carcinogenic. :(

Profile ICQ YIM
Rocket Constructor
Rocket Constructor
Post Junk Science Warning   Posted on: Thu Nov 18, 2004 4:45 pm
JUNK SCIENCE WARNING

This article exhibits the following standard junk science warning signs:
  1. Independant inventor with little or no formal training outsmarts every known expert in a multi-billion dollar industry.
  2. Fantastic claims with no explanation of the mechanism that makes them possible.
  3. Sob story about mistreatment at the hands of the scientific establishment.
  4. Refusal to submit claims to independant testing for fear ideas will be stolen.

About all we're missing is a comparision to Galileo or Einstein (although the Dateline article obliges us by invoking Penicillin, the great scientific accident that wasn't).

Nothing to see here. Move along.

Moon Mission Member
Moon Mission Member
Post Re: Junk Science Warning   Posted on: Fri Nov 19, 2004 7:33 pm
squirrel wrote:
JUNK SCIENCE WARNING

This article exhibits the following standard junk science warning signs:
  1. Independant inventor with little or no formal training outsmarts every known expert in a multi-billion dollar industry.
  2. Fantastic claims with no explanation of the mechanism that makes them possible.
  3. Sob story about mistreatment at the hands of the scientific establishment.
  4. Refusal to submit claims to independant testing for fear ideas will be stolen.
About all we're missing is a comparision to Galileo or Einstein (although the Dateline article obliges us by invoking Penicillin, the great scientific accident that wasn't).

Nothing to see here. Move along.

Of course, it can happen..... Case in point (although not quite as extreme): Nikola Tesla.

In Memoriam...
Apollo I - Soyuz I - Soyuz XI - STS-51L - STS-107