Community > Forum > Technology & Science > Burning water

Burning water

Posted by: meeker - Mon Oct 25, 2004 2:32 am
 [ 8 posts ] 
Burning water 
Spaceflight Enthusiast
Spaceflight Enthusiast
Post Burning water   Posted on: Mon Oct 25, 2004 2:32 am
Could you guys tell me if this is bull or worth trying out. I realy don't want to blow my self up!

http://www.keelynet.com/energy/waterfuel.htm

Spaceflight Participant
Spaceflight Participant
Post    Posted on: Mon Oct 25, 2004 4:38 am
It's bull. Electrolysis takes a lot of power to make hydrogen in any useful quantity, car batteries are being strained as it is (next generation of cars is going to be 36 or 42v systems, or so sayeth my old auto tech teacher), and won't work unless the engine is modified heavily, and equipped with a new computer. And contrary to the claims of that article, it isn't safe. Hydrogen explodes. Gasoline burns.

Profile WWW
Spaceflight Participant
Spaceflight Participant
Post    Posted on: Mon Oct 25, 2004 4:45 am
It's also a bad sign when they have the standard conspiracy theories (war for oil, price changes are because of collusion, not simple capitalism), especially that of the 200mpg carborator. Think about it: How can any carborator be more fuel efficient than a computer controlled fuel injection system?

Profile WWW
Spaceflight Trainee
Spaceflight Trainee
Post    Posted on: Mon Oct 25, 2004 4:14 pm
The system as described can be considered a perpetual motion machine.

The energy required to electrolise the water into hydrogen and oxygen is the same as what you get out of it by burning the hydrogen.

In reality, what is described is actually a rather inefficient battery operated electric vehicle.

Spaceflight Enthusiast
Spaceflight Enthusiast
Post    Posted on: Tue Oct 26, 2004 2:25 am
Thanks guys, I was thinking The timeing would have to be retarded quite a bit. Can anyone direct me to a paper wrote by Watts? backin the 1800's called 'fire in water'? I cant find it anywhere on the net. Thanks again.

Location: Alexander, North Carolina, Planet Earth, the Milky Way Galaxy
Post    Posted on: Tue Oct 26, 2004 2:50 pm
meeker wrote:
Thanks guys, I was thinking The timeing would have to be retarded quite a bit. Can anyone direct me to a paper wrote by Watts? backin the 1800's called 'fire in water'? I cant find it anywhere on the net. Thanks again.

"Fire in Water" does not seem a 19th century title; it would be a lot longer and more complex. :) Sometimes a trip to the library is still necessary. Any good biography of James Watts would list sources including any published papers authored by Watts himself. Then the reference librarian can help you find a reprint of the paper itself.

Good luck,

--Ralph

http://1vid.com

Profile WWW
Moon Mission Member
Moon Mission Member
Post    Posted on: Tue Oct 26, 2004 6:46 pm
meeker wrote:

Are you maybe referring to James Watt, the steam engine engineer? Here is something that might be what you are looking for:
http://www.newcomen.org/pdf/thomasnewcomen.pdf

Profile WWW
Spaceflight Enthusiast
Spaceflight Enthusiast
Post    Posted on: Sat Oct 30, 2004 10:46 am
Thank you all very much. If you don't mind I will stop in now and then to ask more off the wall questions.