Community > Forum > Technology & Science > "Hybrid" spacecrafts

"Hybrid" spacecrafts

Posted by: Ekkehard Augustin - Fri Oct 15, 2004 11:02 am
 [ 1 post ] 
"Hybrid" spacecrafts 
Post "Hybrid" spacecrafts   Posted on: Fri Oct 15, 2004 11:02 am
Thinking of the Falcon and playing around with the topic it seems to me that at least Falcon V is providing a special advantage.

The Falcon for the first time will launch unmanned payloads to space. But Falcon V may be able to launch manned payloads too and SpaceX has been said at least to be thinking of manned orbital travels.

If SpaceX really will launch passengers one day or decides to compete for Bigelow's prize then they will have a vehicle that can simplify constructing objects in orbit.

It could easyly carry elements of an object into the orbit and next launch passengers there which could be in an orbiter. Different to the Space Shuttle passengers and the elements of the object don't need to be launched together but both can be launched by the same vehicle - the reason for calling it "hybrid". This vehicle seems to be smaller and cheaper than the Shuttle.

The passengers in my example will put together the elements of the object - that would be new...

The only other enterprise that might become able to do this is Interorbital Systems.

But first we have to wait wether the first flight of Falcon I will be successful.

Dipl.-Volkswirt (bdvb) Augustin (Political Economist)

PS: What's required in my example is a set of space-fit tools.