Community > Forum > Technology & Science > From Discovery documentary: Tier Two and beyond

From Discovery documentary: Tier Two and beyond

Posted by: NeuronExMachina - Fri Oct 15, 2004 7:31 am
 [ 23 posts ] 
From Discovery documentary: Tier Two and beyond 
Spaceflight Trainee
Spaceflight Trainee
Post    Posted on: Tue Oct 19, 2004 3:52 pm
campbelp2002 wrote:
I guess he will be concentrating on SS2 and Tier 2 from now on.

There is also an interesting explanation of the rolls in the first X-prize flight, and how they avoided them in the second.

See, I'm figuring that he decided that he'd concentrate on making that not happen on the Tier 2 vehicles, given that there's always the risk of it getting out of control. He's already made his point and attracted Branson. ;)

Profile WWW
Space Walker
Space Walker
Post    Posted on: Fri Oct 22, 2004 10:41 pm
How on Earth did I miss this!? I watched the whole second part of the documentary, but got up towards the end for all of a minute, bad timing I guess. Oh, well.

Burt Rutan really is truly amazing. What you have to admire most about him is that he's never gone into the "cool" or "hot" fields of engineering, he's just done what he's interested in and can make a difference in. During the 60s almost all of our top aerospace engineering students went into the Apollo program or to work for a major company or something of the like, and Rutan could have done a job like that exceptionally well. However, he knew that he could make a far greater impact in General Aviation (with occasional dips into challenges like flying around the world without refueling) and went to that field instead. Perhaps it's not such a bad thing that the private space forces of hte 90s crashed and burned, it got Rutan and Scaled Composites into the game.

He's left his mark on General Aviation, now it looks like he's trying to make his mark in space exploration. I can't wait to see what will come out of Teirs 2 and 3, I just wish I could see some of those renderings of them, no matter how conceptual they might be.

Profile WWW
Moon Mission Member
Moon Mission Member
Post    Posted on: Sat Oct 23, 2004 7:43 pm
Senior Von Braun wrote:
He's left his mark on General Aviation, now it looks like he's trying to make his mark in space exploration. I can't wait to see what will come out of Teirs 2 and 3, I just wish I could see some of those renderings of them, no matter how conceptual they might be.

Remember that we had no official confirmation that there even was a Tier 2 until that documentary came out -- half a month after the first flight. The chances that we'll hear anything further about them (before they're launched, that is) are practically nil.

And he's STILL not accepting applications from college students. I keep wondering what would happen if I applied for a position as a floor-sweeper...

In Memoriam...
Apollo I - Soyuz I - Soyuz XI - STS-51L - STS-107

Space Station Member
Space Station Member
Post    Posted on: Sat Oct 23, 2004 7:58 pm
spacecowboy wrote:
And he's STILL not accepting applications from college students. I keep wondering what would happen if I applied for a position as a floor-sweeper...

Well, at the moment, he and his crew are a hype. Sure, they did the job, but its still a hype. And maybe they dont want any new people. How would anyone react on a new person in a crew who is together for years? Its like an intruder comes in to sail on the succes.

What i would do is to create a small group of students who would work for him on a very small budget, just making and calculating everything for tier 2.

Moon Mission Member
Moon Mission Member
Post    Posted on: Sat Oct 23, 2004 8:00 pm
siggy wrote:
Well, at the moment, he and his crew are a hype. Sure, they did the job, but its still a hype. And maybe they dont want any new people. How would anyone react on a new person in a crew who is together for years? Its like an intruder comes in to sail on the succes.

What i would do is to create a small group of students who would work for him on a very small budget, just making and calculating everything for tier 2.

I was kidding, amigo. I can fully understand why Rutan wouldn't want a bunch of starstruck kids running around, coming up with all sorts of unworkable schemes, and getting under the experienced worker's feet.

In Memoriam...
Apollo I - Soyuz I - Soyuz XI - STS-51L - STS-107

Space Walker
Space Walker
Post    Posted on: Sun Oct 24, 2004 2:17 am
spacecowboy wrote:
I was kidding, amigo. I can fully understand why Rutan wouldn't want a bunch of starstruck kids running around, coming up with all sorts of unworkable schemes, and getting under the experienced worker's feet.

Kinda like what happens to John Carmack? :wink:

Hmm, maybe I should stop pestering him about using methane in their rockets. Well, I need someplace to dump my enthusiasm!

I don't care how speculative the renderings on Teirs 2 and 3 are, the fact is that spacecowboy is right and, for better or for worse, we're not going to hear much about them for a long long time. That's all the more reason why I'd like to see them, oh well.

Profile WWW
Rocket Constructor
Rocket Constructor
Post    Posted on: Sun Oct 24, 2004 4:56 am
Well, I've already sent my resume into Scaled before the 1st X-Prize attemtp. I was fairly impressed that they responded back with a courtesy email within a day of my note. Not many companies out there today that would do that. I'm a mechanical design engineer with a lot of experience in various industries. I would definitely be interested in working for Scaled if they believe they have projects upcoming that could utilize my services. We shall see :)

Javman

Spaceflight Participant
Spaceflight Participant
Post    Posted on: Sun Oct 24, 2004 1:00 pm
suprnova.org

Search for Black Sky...

:roll:

Dunno if this is allowed but erm yea..

OR BUY the dvd :D