Community > Forum > Technology & Science > satellite construction

satellite construction

Posted by: ngindustries - Fri Oct 15, 2004 3:34 am
 [ 15 posts ] 
satellite construction 
Spaceflight Enthusiast
Spaceflight Enthusiast
Post satellite construction   Posted on: Fri Oct 15, 2004 3:34 am
Is the commercialization of a constructed satellite viable? I say yes, plus it would showcase a multifunctional trophy of human achievement and impress our spatial neighbors.

Spaceflight Participant
Spaceflight Participant
Post    Posted on: Fri Oct 15, 2004 4:08 am
Huh?

Profile WWW
Post    Posted on: Fri Oct 15, 2004 7:09 am
As I understand it ngindustries thinks of a satellite to offer it at the markets instead to build it at order or in charge of someone. The satellite would be built, launched and sold then. Perhaps only its service would be sold.

To get a sufficient number of customers the satellite has to be multifunctional.

That's my understanding but I may be wrong. If I'm right then its an interesting topic I think.

Dipl.-Volkswirt (bdvb) Augustin (Political Economist)

Last edited by Ekkehard Augustin on Tue Oct 19, 2004 11:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

Space Station Commander
Space Station Commander
Post    Posted on: Fri Oct 15, 2004 8:45 am
ngindustries is not thinking at all ... although I'm thinking his grasp of the English language is significantly harder to parse than your's Ekkehard.

If I didn't know you better Ekkehard, and if I was a complete and utter bastard, I would say that ngindustries sounds like ... well ... a very silly version of you. But of course, I'm only a bit of a bastard who is far from being complete. :twisted:

DKH

Spaceflight Trainee
Spaceflight Trainee
Post    Posted on: Fri Oct 15, 2004 12:30 pm
I may be completely off as to what ngindustries means, but I think the concept is allready being used extensively. Companies exploiting telecommunication satelatites for instance rent out bandwidth on their sats to third parties. Or did you mean something else, ngindustries?

Spaceflight Enthusiast
Spaceflight Enthusiast
Post    Posted on: Fri Oct 15, 2004 6:25 pm
WTF? my grasp of the english language? nevermind people. i have better things to do than be chided at in a forum.

Moon Mission Member
Moon Mission Member
Location: Kapellen, Antwerp, Belgium, Europe, Planet Earth, the Milky Way Galaxy
Post    Posted on: Fri Oct 15, 2004 6:32 pm
Dr_Keith_H wrote:
ngindustries is not thinking at all ... although I'm thinking his grasp of the English language is significantly harder to parse than your's Ekkehard.

If I didn't know you better Ekkehard, and if I was a complete and utter bastard, I would say that ngindustries sounds like ... well ... a very silly version of you. But of course, I'm only a bit of a bastard who is far from being complete. :twisted:

DKH

why do you have to be so annoying sometimes... if you have nothing "useful" to say, except hitting someone in his or her face then please hit your own face, cause some other people are maybe intrested in other opinions.. even if they are not perfect.

Imagen yourself posting something on a forum for the first time... and get flamed at once.. , and if you think it's normal.. I don't ;)

Profile WWW
Spaceflight Participant
Spaceflight Participant
Post    Posted on: Sat Oct 16, 2004 12:58 am
It seems to me that the guy is talking about building an artificial version of the moon.

Profile WWW
Spaceflight Enthusiast
Spaceflight Enthusiast
Post one fine reinteration   Posted on: Mon Oct 18, 2004 6:50 pm
The purpose of my initial post was two-fold (and may have been hard to clearly decipher, since the first sentence asked, posited, and implied a few questions):

First, is it viable to construct an artificial satellite and why?
Second, would commercializing this satellite be viable and why?

The second sentence of my post was referring to the amount of positive attention our species would receive from neighboring civilizations (on other planets). After discussing this with one of my military friends, I realized that advertising an intelligent utilization of nature resources could prove disasterous. To reinterate, if the Holocaust existed, then it is possible for entire planets and solar systems to be subjugated by intelligent beings who do not care for anything that might distract them from being the strongest, surviving species.
So maybe advertising this artificial satellite, this constructed trophy of human achievement would only get us killed, or worse, enslaved.

If, in the course of my typing i became nebulous, please propound some critical evaluations. if not, then please proceed to consider the viability of commercializinga constructed, moon-size artificial satellite.

Spaceflight Participant
Spaceflight Participant
Post    Posted on: Mon Oct 18, 2004 8:35 pm
The cost would bankrupt the planet, both in money and natural resources, and there's no real purpose to it. Plus, it'd play havoc with the tidal system.

Profile WWW
Post    Posted on: Tue Oct 19, 2004 3:32 am
Dang, he is talking about an artifical Moon.
The resources would be better spent Colonising Venus.

Profile ICQ YIM
Post    Posted on: Tue Oct 19, 2004 6:45 am
A special kind of an artificial moon are huge habitats in space which contain woods, fields, animals, villages and the like. There are serious concepts worked out by a few or perhaps only one engineer the german astronaut Ulrich Walter is mentioning in his book I mentioned much earlier in quite another thread.

To build such a habitat requires material of a lot of asteroids and a hundred years at least I think. The decades and centennials going on it might grow to the size of moon but life will be inside the surface - so unlike the moon it would be "empty" inside and contain atmosphere, ocean(s) etc.

Another kind of artificial moon might be like a normal satellite as we know them in GEO but moon-sized. It could be made out of asterioid-material too but I have to think of it longer to find out, what purposes and advantages it may have unless it's a kind of generational spaceship.

Dipl.-Volkswirt (bdvb) Augustin (Political Economist)

Last edited by Ekkehard Augustin on Tue Oct 19, 2004 11:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

Space Station Commander
Space Station Commander
Post    Posted on: Tue Oct 19, 2004 9:00 am
Sigurd wrote:
Imagen yourself posting something on a forum for the first time... and get flamed at once.. , and if you think it's normal.. I don't ;)

Here is a parable ... I just made it up.

Sometimes animals encounter highways, and for some of them it's the first time they have seen the highway. Occasionally, a first timer will try to cross the highway without first trying to work it out. Occassionally, the first-timer will get lucky and cross safely ... occassionally it will get run down. Bad luck. Now often an animal which has often crossed the highway before, also gets run down. Bad luck. Highways are dangerous.

The information superhighway however is comparatively safe, but if you try to cross it without looking left and then right - then occassionally you are going to get run down. Bad luck. But at least you can dust yourself off and try again.

Or you can build a hedgehog tunnel under the information superhighway ... which you did ... it's called the Space Cafe. In that place people can spew forth whatever nonsense they want in complete safely. But this is the technology forum ... not the hyper-hypothetical technology forum.

In this guy's first post he blurted forth like a blind (and desperately lost) hedgehog onto the I-95 ... natural selection at work. :wink:

DKH

Spaceflight Trainee
Spaceflight Trainee
Post Re: one fine reinteration   Posted on: Tue Oct 19, 2004 11:13 am
Ok I'll give it my Best...

ngindustries wrote:
First, is it viable to construct an artificial satellite and why?
Earth has alot of artificial satellites, sputnik was the first. To the answer to the fist part of that question, yes it is viable. Why... For comunication, weather prediction, prospecting, ect... The spacestation is also an artificial satellite...

ngindustries wrote:
Second, would commercializing this satellite be viable and why?
Absolutely, who can count the amout of money that exchanges hands each year over the satellite industry.

ngindustries wrote:
The second sentence of my post was referring to the amount of positive attention our species would receive from neighboring civilizations (on other planets).
I'm assumeing you mean "Space fairing" Intelligent Life,(perhaps Star fairing is better) rather than extratrestrial life still rumaging around in caves wearing loin cloths, and doing cave paintings. Well currently we have no solid evidence of this, but assuming "Government coverups of UFOs" are the reality, they already know we are here. They obviously know how to decifer our radio signals and such, so they know as much about us, as our own government does, if not more, considering their "objective perspective" 8)

ngindustries wrote:
After discussing this with one of my military friends, I realized that advertising an intelligent utilization of nature resources could prove disasterous. To reinterate, if the Holocaust existed, then it is possible for entire planets and solar systems to be subjugated by intelligent beings who do not care for anything that might distract them from being the strongest, surviving species.
I wouldn't worry about it. As noted above, they already know we are here. If they don't know about us (because we are at a similar level of technology, or they are still cavemen or whatever) then they won't be here for quite sometime.(given the limit of light speed an all) :wink:

ngindustries wrote:
So maybe advertising this artificial satellite, this constructed trophy of human achievement would only get us killed, or worse, enslaved.
I don't see why this would be, since they already know we are here, OR they have no means to reach us. I should point out, our radio transmissions have beeen beaming out into space for years and will reach the distant parts of the galaxy long before any news of an "artificial moon" does. Also consider that the sun will last for only about 4 or 5 billion more years before it turns into a "red giant" and consumes the earth. :shock: This means the first radio signals sent form the earth will only 4 or 5 billion lightyears away before the earth is destroyed. Which in turn means they would have to come from our own "neighborhood" if we are to be of any use to them. Also Our radio signals won't reach the far side of our own galaxy for what, 80,000 years or so? This reduces the chance of invasion considerably because the only ones we have to worry about already know about us, and they haven't moved against us yet.

ngindustries wrote:
If, in the course of my typing i became nebulous, please propound some critical evaluations. if not, then please proceed to consider the viability of commercializinga constructed, moon-size artificial satellite.
While the moon is a satellite of the earth, it would be easier to understand what you meant if you said "artificial moon" rather than "satellight"

As for an "Artificial Moon" we don't have the technology or the resources here on the earth to do so. The only way for us to make an "Arificial Moon" would be to use the asteroid belt to do so. Plus we can't have it near the earth, it would disrupt our tides and such. It would have to be it's own planet, in it's own planetary orbit, or it would have to be in orbit around one of the other planets, probably one of the big ones. But I couldn't see this happening until all other natural moons in our system have been used/populated. Therefore if we could/needed to build an "Artificial Moon" there would be no more danger from alien invaders than what we already face, and it probably would indeed be a great commercial enterprize. :D

Last edited by Rubbernecker on Tue Oct 19, 2004 11:21 am, edited 2 times in total.

Post    Posted on: Tue Oct 19, 2004 11:16 am
To add another kind of "artificial moon": It could be a cluster of satellites docked together - or a cluster of orbital debris or space debris and space junk at all i.e. including small asteroids. In this case it would be a huge store of objects to remain in space under control and for future use.

Concerning the initial post of this thread: it was misunderstandable at least. I myself had to do an interpretation and had a wrong understanding when I posted my first answer to it and Cadet was the first saying explicitly that the idea of an artifical moon is the topic of this thread...

Dipl.-Volkswirt (bdvb) Augustin