Community > Forum > Technology & Science > What is the white stuff on the belly of SS1?

What is the white stuff on the belly of SS1?

Posted by: Roel - Thu Oct 07, 2004 10:33 am
 [ 4 posts ] 
What is the white stuff on the belly of SS1? 
Rocket Constructor
Rocket Constructor
Post What is the white stuff on the belly of SS1?   Posted on: Thu Oct 07, 2004 10:33 am
when looking at this picture: http://www.mojaveairport.com/images/xpr ... 4-06-8.jpg at the mojave airport log I noticed sort of a white ring on the middle of the body of SS1. What is it? is it ice formed by the cold of the N2-gas?...did not notice it on the cam during the flight.

Thnx, Roel

Spaceflight Trainee
Spaceflight Trainee
Post Re: What is the white stuff on the belly of SS1?   Posted on: Thu Oct 07, 2004 6:00 pm
Roel wrote:
when looking at this picture: http://www.mojaveairport.com/images/xpr ... 4-06-8.jpg at the mojave airport log I noticed sort of a white ring on the middle of the body of SS1. What is it? is it ice formed by the cold of the N2-gas?...did not notice it on the cam during the flight.l

I noticed the same thing. If you look at the pictures you will see that it is only there during taxiing. On all the take-off pictures it is removed. And it looks too regular to be ice. It IS located around the N2O tank, so it probably has something to do with it. Maybe it has something to do with pressurizing or keeping it at the right temperature? Anyway, clearly I don't know as well, but I am curious to find out.

Rocket Constructor
Rocket Constructor
Post    Posted on: Sun Oct 10, 2004 3:05 pm
It's indeed to regularly to be ice but when it's something for the tank it should be removed before takeoff; this picture is taken shortly before takeoff and I don't recall seeing anybody removing something just before takeoff...or has anyone seen it on the webcast?
Anyone else with a theory??

Spaceflight Participant
Spaceflight Participant
Post    Posted on: Sun Oct 10, 2004 3:44 pm
My guess is because they don't want it to put too much stress on the link between SS1 and the White Knight. Most of the photo's are either mid-flight or for photo-ops, but there are very few ground shots of SS1 when it is fully fueled but not in launch mode.

It's even possible it was an extra addition because of the extra fuel they put into the plane for the X-Prize flights, combined with the weight added inside for the competition. We're probably talking about anything from 500-1000 lbs, which could be enough to warrant an extra restraint.