Community > Forum > Technology & Science > Simulations of manned Mars missions

Simulations of manned Mars missions

Posted by: Ekkehard Augustin - Thu Oct 02, 2008 7:29 pm
 [ 4 posts ] 
Simulations of manned Mars missions 
Post Simulations of manned Mars missions   Posted on: Thu Oct 02, 2008 7:29 pm
Russia conducts simulations on Earth where people stay in bed for 500 days or so. Of this I read several tims in te past.

But a thought has been published in the article "NASA Chief: Moon Base Must Precede Mars Mission " ( www.space.com/news/080930-griffin-lunar-outpost.html ) that is much closer to a real Mars mission:
Quote:
Griffin said that before any attempt to send a crew to Mars is made, the sponsoring agency or agencies must at least be able to conduct the following mission: Send astronauts to the international space station for a six- or nine-month visit, after which they would be sent to the Moon for a similar amount of time, equipped with no additional supplies beyond those sent with them to the station.

Once they completed their Moon visit, this same group of astronauts would return directly to the space station for another six- to nine-month visit, again with no resupply.

Only then would they return home. Griffin said this mission would simulate what it will take to send astronauts to Mars and return them home.

The difference to what the Russians do would be that all details of a manne Mars mission would be involved and included but because of the proximity of Earth emergency return would be much esier.

What alternatives, variants etc. can you imagine? Which details should be worked out and which of them first? Do you prefer the russian approach or the large one? What about basing it on private efforts?

Dipl.-Volkswirt (bdvb) Augustin (Political Economist)

Space Station Commander
Space Station Commander
Post    Posted on: Thu Oct 02, 2008 7:43 pm
obviously moon one is better, especially since they could actually do useful things... but i don't think there's any room for the private sector (except contractors haha) in simulating a mars mission... i mean what's the product being marketed?

Software Developer

Also, check out my fractals

Post    Posted on: Fri Oct 03, 2008 7:25 am
A product to be marketed isn't required - as is demonstrated by private journeys into orbit as well as by Virgin Galactic.

The technologies developed and applied by privates are of interest - reusability and inflatability. And think of Richard Speck's experiment(s) described and explained in the Deep Dpace Hardware-thread - it could be tested easyly that way as well as his other thoughts, ideas and approaches.

Bigelow's station may be applied instead of the ISS - what about that?

Dipl.-Volkswirt (bdvb) Augustin (Political Economist)

Space Station Commander
Space Station Commander
Post    Posted on: Fri Oct 03, 2008 3:38 pm
that's true i forgot about bigelow. i don't know why you don't consider the flight itself a product though, that's what virgin galactic is marketing... services are products just as much as physical items are. you might find someone willing to pay to simulate a mars mission, but that'd be a serious health risk and not something i'd imagine a tourist to be interested in.

Software Developer

Also, check out my fractals