Community > Forum > Technology & Science > Reactionless Drive

Reactionless Drive

Posted by: Horus - Wed Aug 27, 2008 5:01 am
 [ 4 posts ] 
Reactionless Drive 
Spaceflight Participant
Spaceflight Participant
Post Reactionless Drive   Posted on: Wed Aug 27, 2008 5:01 am
I was playing around with the idea of reactionless drive. In principle space is filled with ionised plasma and theoretically it would be possible to use that plasma for propulsion. Here is what I came up with:

There is electromagnet configuration that reinforces EM field in one direction and weakens it in another. I forgot haw the configuration is called the main thing is that it exists. Now if you connect this electromagnet configuration to AC source you will have one directional changing EM field. Now the comes the geneus, this changing EM field will induce back EMF in the space plasma wich will act as superconductor and push away from the generator. So you get action reaction going on and voila you get EMF reactionless drive.

So what do people think? I know that because space plasma is rarefied you need a huge working volume to pull it off, but I recon it would have better performance than magnetic solar sails.

Spaceflight Participant
Spaceflight Participant
Post Re: Reactionless Drive   Posted on: Wed Aug 27, 2008 11:45 pm
Horus wrote:
I was playing around with the idea of reactionless drive. In principle space is filled with ionised plasma and theoretically it would be possible to use that plasma for propulsion...

Well if you're using the plasma as a propellent, then it's not a propellentless/reactionless drive is it? you may not be lofting it from earth, but you are using it. A propellentless drive is currently not known to be possible, tho there have been designs and ideas.

The inter-planetary plasma is pretty sparse, about 5 particles per cc at the earth's distance from the sun (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Interplanetary_medium) so it will be pretty hard to get anywhere...

Profile WWW
Space Station Member
Space Station Member
Post    Posted on: Thu Aug 28, 2008 1:55 pm
So it's basically an M2P2?

Post    Posted on: Wed Oct 22, 2008 6:45 pm
It doesn't sound like a bussard ramjet, but like an Ether tug, actually climbing along the fabric of space, which would be a propellantless drive.

Profile ICQ YIM