Community > Forum > Technology & Science > What quantum-physics-based tecnologies are possible?

What quantum-physics-based tecnologies are possible?

Posted by: Ekkehard Augustin - Sun Sep 12, 2004 11:40 am
 [ 5 posts ] 
What quantum-physics-based tecnologies are possible? 
Post What quantum-physics-based tecnologies are possible?   Posted on: Sun Sep 12, 2004 11:40 am
As I posted under "Scientists zap atom across room" in "The Spaceflight Cafe" it has been proved that quantum communications is poaaible already - Prof Zeilinger (Vienna) made it experimentally and successful.

And there is a lot of research on quantum computers.

Are there additional possibilities to use quantum physics? Might it be possible to create propellant or laser light or something else that is needed by spacecrafts or in space?

And what might be required to make use of these possibilities?

Can thex be tested and used by private spaccraft firms?

Spaceflight Participant
Spaceflight Participant
Post    Posted on: Sun Sep 12, 2004 2:36 pm
Quantum uses for Spaceflight? Very few. Relativistic uses, quite a few.

The problem with quantum physics, is even though you can get entanglement, which superficially looks like it should allow you to have instant communication over infinite distances, it does not actually work like that. Yes, two atoms will always assume the state over infinite distances instantaneously, but you cannot actually find out what that state is until after a period of time has passed, which happens to be the distance between the atoms at lightspeed. As such, even that does not allow to have faster-than-light communication.

How about quantum tunneling - the ability of atomic scale particles to apparently "leap" from one place to another without actually ever passing through the intervening space. Well, technically speaking it would be possible for an entire spaceship to convieniently appear where you want it to, but by the nature of quantum effects, this could not be controlled or predicted. As such, it's never going to happen, unless the laws of physics decide to change between now and then.

I think you'd to better to pin your hopes on worm-holes and antimatter, which unfortunately for this topic, are not really "quantum physics".

That said, I've barely started my degree, let alone finished it, so I may be wrong.

Moon Mission Member
Moon Mission Member
Location: Kapellen, Antwerp, Belgium, Europe, Planet Earth, the Milky Way Galaxy
Post    Posted on: Sun Sep 12, 2004 5:08 pm
I have described why Quantum Computing for future uses in space research etc would help a lot in this topic: http://xprize.org/messageboard/viewtopi ... =6570#6570

Quantum Computing may need an other 10 years before we see it in computers.. and even longer for personal computers, other use of quantum physics.. may need a lot of more time to be understand and fully researched.

- Neural Networks on Quantum Speed may help to develop a lot better engines, vehicle, etc etc
- Combined with NANO technology controlled with a Quantum Computing could in the more far future create self repairing space crafts or changing in shape in case of emergency etc..
- Quantum computing will also make Speach Recornision, Image recornision a lot more advanced, and also manny other computer features what would be very cool to use in a spacecraft.

So in the 20 years near future.. the main quantum feature will be very fast computers...

@Sev, there're several quantum communication theories, classical linking is light limited, cause you'll need a connection between both (you send the particles etc).
Quantum Phyiscs isn't limited to only using it on that way.. so in the more far future they "think" there is a posibility with tranporting theory, to send data to an other (place, or space ship), and to send data back, they will need the same on opposite place. when one side is destroyed or missing, in theory there won't be a way to repair it.

Profile WWW
Post    Posted on: Mon Sep 13, 2004 6:54 am
Hello, Sev,

Zeilinger really proved that quantum communication is working - he communicated across the Danubia via quantum communication. He is offering his english article at his homepage to all people willing to pay.

The original state of the photon used to send informations has been provided at the receiver's side only once to get the informations out of the entanglement. Then he sent 2 million bits of which only 64 haven't been received.

My major question really was what else might be possible by using entanglements - besides communication and quantum computer. I don't ask because of hopes but to find out.

Is there anything theoretically possible?

Dipl.-Volkswirt (bdvb) Augustin (Political Economist)

Post    Posted on: Tue Oct 19, 2004 7:13 am
I remember having read sveral years ago that scientists are reseraching on quantum light and its creation. I cannot find the article yet but I'm sure I still have it somewhere.

As I remember quantum light is similar to laser light but its preperty doesn't have to do with homogenous polarization and frequency - it has to do with the number of photons per unit of time and distance or so.

Might quantum light provide advantageous for spacecrafts? I remember a NIAC study saying that the degree of the effiency of hydrogen can be increased by multiple lasers that could be ground-based or space-based - might that be vaild for quantum light or lasers based on quantum light too? And might they be better and more efficient than normal light and normal lasers?

Dipl.-Volkswirt (bdvb) Augustin (Political Economist)