Launch Director
Post    Posted on: Thu Mar 13, 2008 6:04 pm
Thanks a lot for the tips everyone

Space Walker
Space Walker
Post    Posted on: Thu Mar 13, 2008 6:15 pm
Max CR wrote:
Thanks a lot for the tips everyone

Please let us know if you have any more questions or thoughts.

Spaceflight Enthusiast
Spaceflight Enthusiast
Post    Posted on: Tue Apr 08, 2008 11:32 am
Solidworks is a good program to learn. I am an Aerospace Engineering student at the University of Virginia. While you should definitely look at other majors like mechanical engineering, electrical, etc, aerospace is a great major.

If you look around, you'll find a statistic that shows that about ~40% of the current aerospace engineering workforce will be retiring in the next 10 years (a bunch of baby boomers), and that translates into work and job security for you. Also, many aerospace jobs are national security jobs, meaning that you need to hold a clearance (and therefore be a US citizen). This is nice, as it lessens the chances of your job being outsourced overseas.

Spaceflight Participant
Spaceflight Participant
Post    Posted on: Wed May 28, 2008 3:10 am
Stanford and CalPoly both have great satellite programs and both are actively building CubeSats. I've been to a CubeSat workshop at Cal Poly and loved it. Beautiful campus, all the people I met were really nice and San Luis Obispo is a terrific town.
My alma-mater is Oral Roberts Univ. The head of the engineering dept has a speciality in satelilte guidance and control.
People with multiple disciplines - like EE + Comp Sci - are really in demand. I'm 47 and I'm just becomming a competent satellite system engineer. NO, that's not because I'm a slow learner :) Satellites are the most demanding and exacting job I can imagine. If you like challenges (and I do!) nothing could be better.

Profile WWW
Space Walker
Space Walker
Post    Posted on: Wed May 28, 2008 8:44 pm
I'm a Cal Poly graduate. I would recommend Cal Poly to everyone! I have also taken the Stanford Spacecraft Design graduate series. It's a four cluse one year certificate program.

Launch Director
Launch Director
Post    Posted on: Sat Aug 02, 2008 1:56 am
Here is an update since I last posted. I recently visited a few campuses throughout the country and have learned more about the classes required to earn an aerospace engineering degree.

I have made my final decision that I will enroll in college for an aerospace engineering master's degree with an astronautics concentration. Afterwhich hopefully I can get a job with NASA or possibly other space concentrated companies.

If I am accepted, my final decision will be to go to Embry-Riddle. I have checked out other colleges in my state and in Florida and I think Embry-Riddle has a really impressive program.

Thank you for the help.

By the way, Rocket Scientist, did you ever get a team together for the XPrize?

Space Walker
Space Walker
Post    Posted on: Sat Aug 09, 2008 7:55 am
Max CR wrote:
Here is an update since I last posted. I recently visited a few campuses throughout the country and have learned more about the classes required to earn an aerospace engineering degree.

I'm glad you continued to pursue you dreams.

Quote:
I have made my final decision that I will enroll in college for an aerospace engineering master's degree with an astronautics concentration.

I assume you mean a blended BS/MS degree?

Quote:
After which hopefully I can get a job with NASA or possibly other space concentrated companies.

Just one suggestion. Don't just focus on NASA. As I said before there are many wonderful aerospace companies doing incredible work.

Quote:
If I am accepted, my final decision will be to go to Embry-Riddle. I have checked out other colleges in my state and in Florida and I think Embry-Riddle has a really impressive program.

One of the best aerospace schools in the nation. A great choice.

Quote:
Thank you for the help.

You are so very welcome. Keep us updated once you are in school!

Quote:
By the way, Rocket Scientist, did you ever get a team together for the XPrize?

Sort of. we are kind of in limbo right now. It's difficult to get a large group of committed people. I understand people have lives; job, family, other commitments. It's been a little frustrated I have to admit.

Launch Director
Launch Director
Post    Posted on: Tue Aug 12, 2008 2:04 am
Yes. I am almost positive I will be getting a Masters in Aerospace ENgineering and a Bachelors degree in Science.

Also I did take into consideration what you said about not only concentrating on working for NASA. In fact, since I had this conversation I have done a lot of research about different companies.

And good luck trying to get your team all together.

Thanks again.