Community > Forum > Technology & Science > Martian ressources

Martian ressources

Posted by: Ekkehard Augustin - Sun Feb 04, 2007 4:05 pm
 [ 2 posts ] 
Martian ressources 
Post Martian ressources   Posted on: Sun Feb 04, 2007 4:05 pm
A few times I tried to find informations about the ressources of Mars - the amounts the total planet has or might have regarding silicates, regolith, elements required to produce plastics, polymeres, concrete and much more used here on Earth.

I found one document about it but everything else only said that nothing is known up to now.

Regarding the Moon there are very lots of informations that neede an update in between because of detections by Smart 1 and the like.

The question will become important in the very far future earliest I think - but which way could Mars be explored best to find the materials something could be produced by? The way the Moon has been explored recently, by rovers or by vehicles like Pixel and Micro Space's lander which could travle and investigate larger regions and distances much faster that rovers?

What should they be enabled to do beyond the capabilities of the twin rovers and the future Mars Science Laboratory?

Dipl.-Volkswirt (bdvb) Augustin (Political Economist)

Post    Posted on: Tue Feb 17, 2009 6:54 pm
In between - including an article of www.space.com this week - it seems that at least the following are to be listed:

Calcium
Magnesium
Silicon
Carbon
Iron
Sulfur
Na
Cl
Oxygen
Hydrogen

Do I miss elements found too?

Dipl.-Volkswirt (bdvb) Augustin (Political Economist)